Sign in to follow this  
Guest Don Stone

Using DX10 in Windows XP 32 bit

Guest Don Stone

I'm just trying to clarify something before I do something I may regret. Can DX10 now be run successfully with Windows XP 32bit and Nvidea driver 169.21? I noted that this driver has a DX10 update exe available which made me wonder whether I could improve my graphics etc. by having DX10 and has prompted this post. I have "Googled" this question but the responses are all a bit confusing to one not well versed in these matters so I would be thankful of any advice in this matter? Thanks in advance. :-zhelp

No.DirectX 10 is *strictly* a Windows Vista technology. It is not available for XP.That's the easiest way of answering. :)Happy New Year,-Greg

>No.>>DirectX 10 is *strictly* a Windows Vista technology. It is not>available for XP.>>That's the easiest way of answering. :)>>Happy New Year,>-GregThen what is Dx10 Preview doing?

Running on Vista is what the FSX DX10 Preview does.To run DX10 you need all of:1)Vista2)DX10 hw3)DX10 driver4)DX10 aware applicationFSX Acceleration and FSX-SP2 are 4. You still need 1-3 to get the DX10 Preview checkbox.DX10 is not available on XP. Contrary to many reports. Anyone heard from Alky lately :-).

Another question, can I use an 8000 series GPU with XP? I assumed that you needed vista.

Keith Sandford.

Of course you can use a 8000 series Nvidia GPU with Vista. You just won't be able to run in in DX10 mode, but "only" in DX9 mode.Windows XP has support for the DX9 API only. Windows Vista has support for the DX9 and the DX10 API.Hope this helps,Pat

Guest srathe

I think I can speak on Pat's behalf, and clarify that he meant "Of course you can use an 8000 series Nvidia GPU with XP..." He mistakenly typed "Vista". :)

DX10 is not available on XP. Contrary to many reports. Anyone heard from Alky lately :-).That made me giggle.

Guest cbuchner1

However Flight Simulator X doesn't use DX10 features to the fullest extent. I'd be surprised if there were any geometry shaders inside.So wrapping the DirectX 10 API and translating to DirectX 9 calls *for this application only* might be somewhat easier than it is for other games. Of course one would have to fall back to the Pixel and Vertex Shader 3.0 model. The only benefit might be that you get the cockpit shadows. Are they really worth the effort? Umm. No....

even though it isnt as simple as you allude to, it doesnt matter as Alky could not deliver on it's bogus claims.

Guest Don Stone

My sincere thanks to everybody who responded...it was greatly appreciated. Regards