Sign in to follow this  
Great Ozzie

Taxi clearance

When landing using the default ATC, ATC gives taxi instructions to a particular parking spot based on the aircraft; i.e. GA to GA parking and Commercial to a gate. Is there a way, when flying GA aircraft, to request taxi to a different parking spot?Related question: is there a way to know ahead of time which way to exit the runway? Seems like every time I land I wind up having to cross the runway I just left to get to the assigned spot.

AMD 3800X, Gigabyte Radeon 5700XT, AS Rock X570 Phantom Gaming 4, 32mb 3600 ram

I have been experimenting with this myself with ADE. If you want to park at the same spot each time you land at a certain airport (FBO) have ADE assign that parking spot to you. Just look at the thread "parking" in the ADE forum. It works.Now to answer your original question I don't beleive so. The best you can do is drive over the assigned parking spot and then taxi to your preferred spot. I think this works.

To answer your second question: You look at the airport diagram and study the layout of the airport BEFORE you land. Usually you would turn towards the terminal area and most of the time the GA parking is somewhere in the same basic direction (of course, exceptions apply).With the airport chart in hand the choice is relatively easy to determine, if to exit to the left or right. In real life it is even a little bit easier, because a lot of controllers tell you to exit the runway either to the left or to the right.Pat

Guest jshyluk

I agree: get yourself an airport diagram. They can be found on-line, or you can make your own. In FSX, open a new window and choose the Overhead view. You can go to your destination airport and use this to draw out a basic diagram before you fly, or you can have the overhead view open as you taxi. I remember there used to be a program that would automatically draw airport diagrams for Flight Simulator. I think it was freeware, but I don't think it's for FSX, or even FS9... my memory is foggy on this topic. Hopefully, someone else will remember better.Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

Guest RonB49

I have not tried this with either of the AFCAD-like programs for FSX but in FS9, I used ADCAD to divide my GA parking into groups. I might have areas called North Parking, East Parking, and South Parking at the same airport. Once that is set up, then when ATC opens the taxi window you will see more options, such as:1. Taxi tp gate2. Taxi to parking3. Taxi to North parking4. Taxi to East parking5. Taxi to South parking6. . . .I can't choose the exact spot but I can get to the area that I want. Knowing where these general areas are located also enables me to exit the runway in the correct direction.I have done this at airports that I visit often. When I land at new airports, I'm lost too.R-

>I have not tried this with either of the AFCAD-like programs>for FSX >Thanks for the tip. I tried this in ADE and found it to work just like AFCAD.Now flying with: Biostar TF560-A2+, Athlon 64X2-6000+, Geforce 8800GTS-320MB, 500W PSU, 250GB HD, FS2004 (with UT-USA, ASV6 & FSGen), or FSX, Vista Home Premium

Art

>is there a way to know ahead of time which>way to exit the runway? Seems like every time I land I wind up>having to cross the runway I just left to get to the assigned>spot.Using Payware, FS Commander you can enter your Parking/Gate number you were assigned by ATC then zoom in and see it highlighted along with all the taxiway names.Great to find your way around when taking off as well for the taxiwaydirections.Trevg

Trevor Golding

If you fly in the U.S. you can find individual airport diagrams in possibly 2 places in .pdf format at http://naco.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=naco/onlineproductsFor larger regional airports diagrams (along with IAPs, STARs etc) click the top link for "digital - Terminal Procedures Publication (d-TPP)"Or you can check the second link for "digital - Airport/Facility Directory (d-A/FD)"Make sure to scroll to the bottom of the page after entering the Arpt ID... also there may be more than one page in the case of d-TPPs for a particular airport (e.g. ORD)Rob O.