Sign in to follow this  
tf51d

E6850, 8800GTS, 2GB RAM, WINDOWS XP fs9 or fsx?

Guest FO UFO

Hi, the question is exactly that. I have both- a bunch af plane add-ons for fs9 (no scenary) and have a fair few plane add-ons for fsx too (again no scenary). Basically do you guys think I should be using fs9 or fsx to get most out of flying?Also, if anyone with a compareable system could tell me what settings they use/ how I could improve my performance that would be great.Thanks

Guest kolaf

I've got the same setup, but with only a 8600GT video card, and use FSX. I have most settings all the way to the right, agutogen normal, scenery very dense, and water 2.low. I overclocked the cpu to 3.4 GHz, and I have the frames locked at 20FPS, running smoothly for most addons (although really heavy addons bring down the fps somewhat. LDS767 works for instance great outside the largest airports).You can check this video I made yesterday to see how it looks :)

Edit: Forgot to mention that I am running FSX.

I have the same setup, but an AMD 4800+ Dual-Core and I can easily run the default VFR aircraft with scenery maxed at 25 fps. The biggest hit that I am suffering is MyTraffic X, which easily eats up 5-10 fps.I really kept my FSX tweaks so a minimum, except overriding the default AA/AF and some fsx.cfg tweaks that I found in here, mainly to eliminate blurries. Most of the tweaks have become obsolete with SP2 anyway and I have resigned to the fact that my current setup is not capable of running any complex addons with a reasonable amount of traffic, because my bottleneck is obviously the CPU.Since you have a more powerful CPU, I think you should do just fine with FSX. I still use FS9 for all heavy-iron flying with a tons of addons and I am having a blast and don't have to worry about FS turning into a slideshow on final. FS9 still looks stunning with Ground Environment, Flight Environment, Ultimate Traffic, Ultimate Terrain and Active Sky.Pat

Guest Stoopy

Since you already own both, why not fly the one you like best?

Guest JIMJAM

I have both FS9 and FSX.Over a grand in addons for FS9 which is still my most used version.I have my big sceneries,detailed airports and can fly ANYTHING full sliders and get great fps. With ActiveSky,GE,UT ect, I often get confused which version Im flying.I am yet to find a plane that I cannot move over to FSX. Its either a easy switch,someone has done it or their is a patch.FSX I have also invest ALOT into. To be honest, the only real reason I have not deleted it is that Im a impulse buyer and as soon as I did delete it, a new plane will come out and I gotta have it!I buy it, #### and complain about the performance and swear off FSX until the next addon comes out.Yeah keep em both.

I have same configuration and enjoy FS9 and FSX.CPU is at stock speed and I don't use any tweaks in FSX. In FS9, i use texture bw multi=400. FPS is locked at 70 for both sims. Video driver is 163.71 and use AAx4, AFx16, vsync off.Those are my configuration files for FSX and FS9 respectively. I have left out unnecessary infos.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/182773.txthttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/182775.txtPierre

Pierre

Try reducing your texture Bandwidth Mult to 200 and running unlimited, I think you'll see better performance in FSX. 400 may introduce some stuttering and to low a value causing texture lag while panning! I know Phi Taylor and others recommend a much lower number for TBM (30 or 40) but I find it works the same as FS9 did. Atleast on my system!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d