Sign in to follow this  
spilok

How do you slow down the PC-12 during descend?

Guest BOPrey

My usual enroute speed is around 180 with this plane. I start descend at IAP and want to achieve a landing speed of about 72. However, I found this aircraft every difficult to slow down during a descend and offen than not, I overshot the runway. How do you do it?

Speed management is a b***tch with that airplane... she's a slippery little sucker. Rather than simply cut power and descent, cut power prior to your descent point and bleed off some of that speed before you start down... or if you are coming down from 30,000ft, descend earlier and level off to bleed some speed prior to pattern /final approach. Once you're down lower and slower, the BIG flaps on this airplane will really chop your speed, but if you deploy them if you're too fast, you'll get an ugly nose-over and ballooning behavior.Manage the speeds and you'll enjoy the airplane even more!-Greg

Guest BOPrey

I finally got a hung of it. Thnx.I am also flying with the published V numbers for gear and flap deployment.

You think the PC-12 is tough. Try slowing down the new Digital Aviation Cherokee!Stan