Sign in to follow this  
maxter

SP2

Guest patch303

A number of posts in this forum seem to suggest that SP2 is creating various issues within FSX. Is SP2 something FSX can live without or would it be happier with it.Regards Pat

Guest JIMJAM

With it I was getting lock ups,erratic behavior, various graphical glitches along with certain planes,progs and sceneries causing hardcore system lockups.With SP1 I am getting good overall performance,stable and can import and fly my older FS9 favorites.XP-7900GTX,SP1PS-DO not buy the CS C-130x unless you DO have SP2.I get 30-35 with most stock planes, 20-25 fps with most complex addons. With the C-130X I get 5-10.There will come and day when I figure I will have no choice but to downgrade to SP2. I also have the feeling that by that time either A, the SP2 problem will be solved or B, FS11 will be out.

Guest Stoopy

Your mileage will simply vary. But keep in mind that generally speaking, people don't normally take the time to write forum posts if something is working as advertised (as it is for me here - no lockups, CTD's or erratic behavior, just some back-compat issues with some FS9 scenery and some fixable issues with older FS9 aircraft).

Hi Pat,I was having problems with SP2 until I did a clean reinstall of FSX. Now FSX SP2 is running better then fSX SP1 ever did. For me the clean reinstall was the key to success. I have also reinstalled GEX, UTX, FEX, DA Cheyenne, and the Eaglesoft Twin Comanche with no problems. I suspect you will find a variety of answers to your question though. Hope this helps some.

"A good landing is one you can walk away from. An excellent landing is one you can taxi away from."

Bill in Colorado:

Retired

Comm: ASEL/AMEL/Instrument

CFI: ASEL/AMEL/Instrument

>Hi Pat,>>I was having problems with SP2 until I did a clean reinstall>of FSX. Now FSX SP2 is running better then fSX SP1 ever did. >For me the clean reinstall was the key to success. I have>also reinstalled GEX, UTX, FEX, DA Cheyenne, and the Eaglesoft>Twin Comanche with no problems. I suspect you will find a>variety of answers to your question though. Hope this helps>some.Is the DA Cheyenne for FSX actually out?

I have had SP2 installed since it came out and didn't have any problems with it. Eventually you will have to install SP2 sooner or later anyway, so there doesn't seem to be any reason not to do so.Pat

Guest fundies

Is it possible to install Acceleration minus SP2, and just use SP1 ? Why no option when installing from the Acceleration disc. ?

Guest tcable

The features of Acceleration require SP2.I'm another with zero issues running Acceleration/SP2. Sure there's some design decision stuff that I'd change (handling of night lighting for one) but hopefully that will change in the FS11 engine.Most of my real world flight time is at night- I guess I'm a rare bird that did most of his actual flying at night after earning the PP-ASEL.Tim

The only "issue" I've had with SP2 is for the first time - I started getting OOM errors.Yes, I had to update some alpha channels on FS2004 aircraft prop textures, and a few others things - but that's the type of thing I and anyone have to expect and be prepared to live with if FS is ever going to advance - if I choose to stay with older version aircraft/ addons.My OOM errors were not SP2 - but Nvidia driver problems. Earlier this month Nvidia finally released a driver to be fully compliant with Vista and the latest DX9 version.No more OOM errors since then.It won't happen now, but in a few months any FSX addons will need SP2 to run correctly. It will first with payware addon aircraft and move to scenery after that.Even now some freeware airport updates recently release don't work correctly without SP2.

>A number of posts in this forum seem to suggest that SP2 is>creating various issues within FSX. Is SP2 something FSX can>live without or would it be happier with it.>Regards Pat SP2 is the completed and final version of FSX...........well as completed and final as it will ever be. Therefore, it is to this standard that all FSX add-ons should be made and will probably require to be installed.As mentioned in this thread already, the vast majority of users have obviously installed it and had no problems whatsoever. The problems that have occurred tend to relate to users trying to install old products, and to be honest, if there are problems at this point, it really is up to the add-on creator to fix them (or not). You'll have seen a lot of threads over the last few weeks with goodness knows how many people whining about SP2 breaking their old add-ons; this is an issue with old add-ons and not SP2.From a developers point of view, yes, some things that did work with SP1 are now broken with SP2. Well that's life, Aces are not going to do anything else with FSX (and quite rightly IMO), so now everybody has a product that can be added to............and that product is FSX SP2.The best thing anyone can do is a fresh install of FSX plus SP1 and SP2 and see just how much better it is than the original; then start adding the goodies. Yes, I know some people think this is a big problem because of all the time they spent adding stuff to their install, but really, lets be honest, most add-ons come with a decent installer and it really isn't complicated to add a few at a time to see how they work with SP2?"But what about all my tweaks?"I would also suggest leaving the FSX.cfg file alone as well because in my experience, most supposed tweaks just cause more problems than they fix, they're the urban myths of FS!Oh..........and don't forget to defrag a few times during the re-install process!!Greatest Airliners - DC-8Greatest Airliners - 727 Whisperjethttp://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...BANNER_PAUL.jpg

Cheers

Paul Golding

OK, but elsewhere there has been information that the code was forked after sp1, and now "acceleration" and "sp2" sdks are not the same, and there is capability in acceleration sdk not present in sp2 sdk.scott s..

Guest patch303

Thanks to all who gave their input. It would seem that the general concencus is to install SP2 now as it will at least need to be done some time. Better I suppose to do it with a clean install before all the accumulated extras are installed. I just hope FSX removal, defrag and re-install of FSX, SP1 and SP2 is quite painless. There is an article in a flying mag entitled 'I LEARNT ABOUT FLYING FROM THAT'where pilots have learnt about flying by making mistakes. I think with the recent flightsims, upgrades and addons I may say 'I LEARNT ABOUT COMPUTERS FROM THAT' Thanks for your knowledge.Regards Pat

This statement makes no sense.How something is built ( separate trees ) is completely independent of what it contains.The "for pay" functionality of Acceleration is not available in SP2 and not in the SP2 SDK. Which makes perfect sense.

Guest roddymod
The "for pay" functionality of Acceleration
Could anyone tell me what this is please?Rod.