Sign in to follow this  
tanker

Is there a way to modify a leg of a flight plan in the Garmin GPS?

Guest BOPrey

I am talking the Garmin on the flight1 pc-12. When ATC clears to my first waypoint, I need to do a direct to it from my current location instead of just using NAV on the GPS. Is there a way to do that?

Guest TheSidewinder

I *think* I understand what you're asking. If not, this won't help. And I hope you can understand my reply, because the details in my mind are hazy from disuse. ;)Pull up flightplan, go into "edit" mode (can't think of proper term), scroll down to the name of the waypoint AFTER the one you want to go Direct to, then "activate" it. Sorry I can't remember the exact key sequence for "activate".I think it will ask you if you want to fly "Wapoint you want to go Direct to" -> "Waypoint after that one" (the one you chose above). If so, choose what corresponds to "yes". If you're in autopilot NAV mode, it should start an immediate turn to the waypoint you want.Hope that helped.M

Guest BOPrey

Thnx. It works. Now I can fly SDP with GPS.

The following applies to the default FSX GPS, as well as any GPS that uses the stock gps.dll (which is basically everyone except RXP...) ;)With an activated direct-to or flight plan loaded, the Active Flight Plan page will show each waypoint for the flight plan (or a single waypoint for a direct-to), along with the desired track (DTK), distance (DIS) for each leg, and cumulative distance (CUM).You can select any leg within the active flight plan as the active leg (the leg which will currently be used for navigation guidance), using the MENU button.To activate a specific leg of the active flight planFrom the Active Flight Plan page, press the CRSR button to activate the cursor. Rotate the large knob to highlight the desired destination waypoint. Press the MENU button, select the "Activate Leg?" option, and press the ENT button.N.B. Using the above method is NOT the same thing as a DTK (Direct To) function. Unlike the DTK function, the above procedure will allow you to perform a direct-to-WPT, at which point the rest of the flightplan will be flown according to the remaining waypoints... ;)IRL this is very handy if you've included a SID in your plan, then once airborne ATC clears you as direct-to a specific waypoint.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Wow, very cool. To think I've been using the GPS all these years and was never aware of that function. I've always used the process described to check the waypoint distance for monitoring/calculating descent times, but wasn't aware of the menu choice. Is that stated in the learning center? If so, it's time to do some (re)reading and find out what else I've been missing. Many thanks Bill.Regards, Kendall#1: E6750@3.2GHZ/Coolermaster HyperTX2 Gigabyte P35-DS3L 4GB Crucial Ballistix Tracers PC6400 Seagate 250GB 7200.10 SATA2 Gigabyte X800XT -Cat 6.12's CH Yoke/Pedals/Saitek Throttle Dual Monitor: Dell 2405/1905 #2: Dell 8400 3.2 H.T. 3GB PC4200 Diamond Xtreme/Logitech X-530's

Regards, Kendall

Guest BOPrey

>N.B. Using the above method is NOT the same thing as a>DTK (Direct To) function. Unlike the DTK function, the above>procedure will allow you to perform a direct-to-WPT, at which>point the rest of the flightplan will be flown according to>the remaining waypoints... ;)>This is how it should work. However, I find FS flies a intercept cross to the leg instead of flying direct the first waypoint of the leg.

Guest TheSidewinder

Err... when does it do that? After using the way I gave you, in answer to your original question, or were you commenting on the DTK function?If using my method, and you're getting a leg intercept instead of direct to the waypoint you want, that means you chose the waypoint one entry too "early" in the flight plan list. Choose the waypoint AFTER the one you want to go Direct to (in the list), and activate that one. You should then start a turn direct to the waypoint you wanted.If you were commenting on the DTK function, never mind, this isn't relevant.

Guest BOPrey

That's exactly what I did. You won't notice the problem most of time. Just to demo the problem, I have saved a flight and you can see it yourself. Load the flight, activate the leg between DPK and ORW, and switch on GPS navigation. You can see the autopilot is not flying directly to DPK, but some point on the line between DPK and ORW.rename this to "GPS_Nav.zip"http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/182839.ziprename this to "GPS_Nav.z01"http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/182840.zipSorry I had to split the file as the upload limit is 150K.

>Is that stated in the learning center? If so,>it's time to do some (re)reading and find out what else I've>been missing. Many thanks Bill.Yes. In fact, the last two paragraphs were quoted verbatim from the manual in the Learning Center... ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest TheSidewinder

I'll download those and look later. But I have one observation and one question anyway.If you are "ahead of" the waypoint DPK, then that's normal behaviour I think. It does it for me anyway. What does it do, if you choose the leg ORW -> (next leg in flight plan)? Does it turn directly towards ORW? If so, that's what I was talking about when I said to choose the leg after the one you you want to fly direct to.Hope that helped.

Guest BOPrey

If I choose the ORW -> leg, it will fly direct to a point ahead of ORW instead of direct to ORW. The longer the leg the more difficult to see, and it also depends on how close you are to the waypoint as well.

Guest TheSidewinder

Tried to load the flight plan you attached, but an error box pops up saying it needs an additional file from your c:My Documents...(didnt get the whole path) directory. I'm sorry, I didn't write it down because I had to leave home right then. I'll load it again tonight and try to get it.And from what you describe, it's doing something different than what I've seen. Still, I'll test some more.

Hi,I'm having the same problem. After selecting the next leg and "enter" after the "activate?" prompt, the aircraft immediately turns, but seems to parallel the flight plan course. It eventually intercepted the next leg, but missed the vor at begining of the leg by more than 10 miles.Dale

Dale