Sign in to follow this  
vsukpadman

FSX SP2 vista Nvidia Magic Bullet .. this REALLY works !

Ok ..VERY high spec machine Dual intel 5160 xeon 3 ghz, 3 gig ram, Nvidia 880O ULTRA(768 MEG).I tried EVERYTHING to make this run as advertised, using the great setup advice here,(clean vista, clean fs , then sp1/2 defrag etc etc) and was getting 10-15 FPS with low slider settings . (dx10 preview enabled)I really was tearing my hair out ,and was about to trash vista/fsx! and discovered this...1) MAXIMISE the window in windowed mode..observe YOUR frame rate.(this is how I was using it)2) Hit the restore down icon (top right next to the red cross icon ) to allow you to manually size the window.3) Grab bottom right handle, and drag in around 3 or 4 milimetres (nothing at all basically)so you are SLIGHTLY reducing the size of the screen by around 3 or 4 mm NOW look at the frame rate... it seems that this alone jumps mine from 15 to 60! with ALL sliders to the right!Maximise it again and watch em drop thru the floorI have asked three other Nividia owners to try this , and it works for all of them, but NOT ati owners it seemsThis is a magic bullet for me, and im not imagining it!any ideas why?Not questioning it - it works!Bill PLondonUse WINDOWED mode ...

Guest fsxmissionguy

Bill,Are you getting 60FPS in London? If so, post a screenshot with Shift-Z enabled so we can see the 60FPS.

Guest Jimbofly

I believe flying in full-screen mode will also yield much better frame rates. Any reason why you're flying in windowed mode? (just curious :) )James

Ya, going to fullscreen mode also boosts your frame rates way up.

I totally disagree with that, windowed has always given me more FPS than full screen...I spose its just different configs

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest bjablonka

I agree, going into full screen mode doubles my FPS compared to windowed mode. One question, however, I have a second monitor which I am running FS Commander on. It works great in the windowed mode, but in the full screen mode the second monitor is black, no FS Commander to be seen. What am I doing wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated.ThanksBernd

Guest bjablonka

Jim,Thanks for your response, does that mean that I either have to accept a 50% drop in FSP and can use FS Commander on a second monitor, or have much higher FPS in a full screen mode but without FS Commander?Bernd

>I totally disagree with that, windowed has always given me>more FPS than full screen...I spose its just different>configsRyan, are running full screen or windowed mode in FSX/SP2?I can say that fullscreen on my system yields MUCH better FPS than windowed mode.:-)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Bernd, I haven't tried it but Jim is probably right...FSX multimonitor support may be the culprit there:-)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Guest bjablonka

Thanks Ron, I guess I have to wait for a moving map/planner program which resides inside of FSX so that I can move it to a second monitor. I'd love to see a full screen moving map especially with my SR 22.

Hi allwill take some screenshots later.I also suffer from a black second screen Im afraid, so full screen mode is out for me ! This trick solves the problem beautifully..the question is WHY?What is technically happening to cause this massive difference by moving the screen size less than 5 mm?There would be a lot less people moaning about FSX if they just tried this :-)BERND- you dont have to suffer the drop, thats the point of my post, this trick will give you the FPS and a second monitor, but in windowed mode.cheersBill PLondon

Guest bjablonka

Bill, please let me see your screen shots.ThanksBernd

Guest kolaf

Just to report that I experience no difference in fullscreen, windowed, or reduced windowed. Using latest Nvidia drivers.Asus P5K, Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 (3.4GHz), 2GB PC6000 DDR2 RAM, POV GF8600GT 256MB. TrackIR PRO 4.