Sign in to follow this  
Manny

Courchevel, Lukla... I thought FSX couldn't do sloped runways?

Hello Bob,good point, I forgot about that. I actually did a similar experiment after Devcon ;-) though I wasn't quite as ambitious: I created some 50-cm ground textures and they worked but I removed them due to the crazy file sizes.However, as a local texture for an airstrip, given suitable real or synthetic imagery, this approach could be feasible. Thanks for the heads-up.Cheers, Holger

Guest bstolle

Wow, that was not really a greaser ;)If I would know how to get the countless Dash7 takeoffs and landings I filmed from my DVDs into files I could upload to youtube....RegardsBernt Capt 767

>Probably just displaying my ignorance here, but how are these>products (Neuroflight's Courchevel and Aerosoft's Lukla X)>possible in a sim that supposably only supports flat>airports?>Colin...Where did you hear that?FSX can do sloped runways. I made one in Nicaragua. There are a few drawbacks (such as no AI use) but it can be done.Edit: Oops! Now that I read the whole thread, everyone else said the same thing :) Good thread, I always like this type of topic. I am hopeful, but not counting on, this feature being in FS11. The implementation might be tough with getting AI to cope with the changing elevations.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest Lith1um

Bob, Would you mind posting a pic of that experiment? I just curious what a super high rest texture would look like in the sim and your experiment is interesting.Tony

Tony, Jim gave you a link to a pic I'd posted before. Its a weak pic cuz of the limits to file size here at Avsim. Send me a pm with your email, and I'll send you better images.Bob

Guest TBomBM3789

maybe I'm wrong, but I heard that ACES put in a little support for add on developers to develop airports with sloped runways.

Well, friendly and "froggy" guy, thanks so much for telling us about the website www.vf-air.com.Went there and downloaded Courecheval files:LFLJx1.zip & LFLJdata.zip.I had a little bit of a problem getting past the French descriptions, but the scenery is great and it was a blast not just landing there, but taking off was sure an experience as well!Merci, merci, merci -Some really nice pictures on that website also.GlenTexas, USA

Hi, just realized that you, too, had posted about the Courcheval freeware site - www.vf-air.com.Boy, that LFLJ scenery is nice and the runway is sure an experience.That website is a little difficult to traverse through if you don't understand French at least a little bit, but well worth trying.So, many thanks to you as well for the info.Glen

Hi Glen,Just for some background information, Guy Nemoz (Guy is his first name) is the owner of vf-air.com and is well known in the french simming community for his sceneries, many with sloped runways.Jean-PaulAsus P5W DH Deluxe - Core 2 Duo E6600@3.2Ghz - Leadtek 7950 GT TDH 512 - 4 x 1GB Kingmax DDR2 667 CL5 RAM - 2 x 250GB Hitachi T7K250 SATA2 AHCI - Antec Sonata 2 Case - 450W Antec SmartPower 2.0 PSU - Samsung SyncMaster 204B 20" - Windows XP Pro SP2 - TrackIR 4 Pro - Saitek X52

KInd regards

Jean-Paul

I7 8700K / Fractal Design Celsius S24 watercooling / ASRock Z370 Extreme4 motherboard / Corsair 32GB 3200mhz DDR4 / INNO3D iChiLL GeForce GTX 1080 Ti X3 / Samsung SSD 960 EVO M.2 PCIe NVMe 500GB / Seasonic-SSR-850FX power supply / Fractal Design Define R5 Black case / AOC Q3279VWF 32″ 2560x1440 monitor / Benq GL2450 24″ 1920x1080 monitor / Track-IR 4

Thanks, Jean-Paul, for the info.I am going to try more of Guy's great sceneries when I get the chance.I can surely see why his site is popular.I'd guess that with the recent posts here, it will probably get more "universally" popular.If that windsock can be believed at LFLJ, I guess landings really have to be made from the upper end, no wonder I was having such a hard time coming in from the valley end, runway sloping uphill. Wow, wonder how to stop if I approach from the other (lodge side) end with that huge downhill slope? Sorry, forgot the runway numbers, so did not know how else to explain it.

Hi Nils,Whats the issue? Can you provide a link for the LLH forum. I'' try to use Alta Vista to do the translation. I am assuming thats a forum in French?I have not had a problem in FSX at all. In fact I had problems in FS9 more than in FSX.In fact, sloped runways work better in FSX than in FS9, In FS9 you tend to go through the runway texture. In FSX, you have to almost crash into it before you would go through the runway.I have a blast landing the Cap Sim C-130 and trying to get it to stop. I use the same aircraft for Lukla too!Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Guest bstolle

There's NO way to land downhill!!! Never.Furthermore there's no space for a stable final approach coming in from the 'wrong' sideBut it's no problem if you touchdown on the steep part, when you land uphill.We even did that with the real Dash7.Just check that you don't land with the nose gear first!!!If there's e.g. more than 10kts tailwind you CAN'T land there!Take off is also ONLY downhill.RegardsBernt Capt 767