Sign in to follow this  
PhilTaylor

Stuttering Mess! Help!

Guest ianrivaldosmith

Hi all, 1st I will detail my system for your information:-Q6600@3.4GHZThermaltake Ultra120 with Yate Loon 120MM4GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800MHZ 4-4-4-12Inno3D 8800GT 512MB 1280x1024Vista Ultimate x64TrackIR 4FSX on same hard drive as Vista ( I only have 1 for now ) Fully defragged by name setting with o&o defrag.I have scenery and Autogen at DENSE settings. Traffic at 15%. Global Texture resolution at very high. Draw Distance at High.Weather provided by ASX and ASG. I have no tweaks to my FSX CFG and im running SP2 Acceleration, in DX9 mode. I use Nhancer for my AA and AF, which is set at 16AF and 8SAA. Ive tried limiting my FPS and also locking at 20, 25, 30, 35 and 40, Still the stuttering problem occurs! As I fly the stuttering occurs as the textures 'lock' into place around my plane. They go from blurry to sharp in a split second, but this occurs all around the plane causing the stutter?Any help greatly appreciated as Im now tearing my hair out! Thanks, Ian

With that system and the overclock you've attained, I suspect processes running in the background are stealing CPU cycles away from FSX. It'll be time consuming and generally a PITA to narrow down the culprit(s) though. First thoughts would be to disable your virus scanner and Windows Defender. Anything else not essential to fly can also be a candidate to be closed/disabled.This site details Vista services and their dependencies: http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/servicecfg.htm Regards,Jim Karn

You're welcome, Tim.Now quit fooling around on the web and get back to work. Your adoring fans are waiting :-lol Regards,Jim Karn

Guest jshyluk

Do you fly in windowed mode or full screen? There's an issue where if your window is placed too close to the Microsoft logo on the bottom of the screen, your fps goes all hooey. I don't have Vista myself, but I did see this problem get demonstrated for me at FanCon. In any case, you can try switching from one mode to the other to see if that helps. It probably isn't the cause of your issue, but I'd feel bad if it was and I didn't mention this solution.Jeff ShylukAssistant Manging EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

Have you tried going back to basics (ie no overclocking, using default FSX settings and in game AA) to see what happens?

I fly with frames unlimited, and have no unusual performance issues. Are you running with Bloom, lens glare, or ground shadows on? If so turn them off, in DX9 they eat cpu cycles. Also turn your water to no higher than 2xlow. I generally find FSX in Vista slower than Windows XP, but it's still not to bad on my system. Because of SP2's issues with FS9 aircraft though, I do most of my flying in XP with FSX SP1.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Guest mojo777

Hey guys,I've just purchased the following hardware to build my new PC, will this run FSX on high settings quite easily?Vista 64 BitS775 nForce 680i SLI ATX A LIntel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz OEM2x2GB 240DIMM PC2-6400 Gold2 X 160Gb S300 8MB RAID 020x DVD WRITER OEM DRIVE NEROSM226BW 22" W TFT 2ms Swiv/TltGeForce 8800GTS 512MB PCIE DVI720W PSU Black 12cmAll comments are welcome.

Guest jshyluk

As has been said before, it depends on what you mean by "run" and "high settings". Some poeple are satisfied with levels of detail and framerates that would make other people cringe.I would guess that flying over someplace like Chicago, you will get around 30fps with most sliders and such set to medium. That should give you some room to boost some settings if you prefer. The hardware that will allow FSX to run fast and smooth with the highest settings does not yet exist. On the other hand, you new system seems robust, you probably shouldn't get stutters or blurries. Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

Guest mojo777

Thank you for your response.Is it true that I will not be able to take advantage of 4GB of ram, and Quad processing?

You have a quad core, so by definition you can take advantage of quad processing.4G is a harder problem and depends on chipset bios, OS variant, and a lot of things. Even if its supported, it often is reported in a way that makes it seem like it isnt supported. See http://blogs.msdn.com/ptaylor/archive/2008...-is-in-use.aspx

Guest mojo777

Hi Phil,Thanks for responding.So would it be better for FSX if I returned my 4GB memory and replaced it with 2GB at 1333mhz?You didn't comment on the GPU, so is it any good?One more thing, does FSX SP2 take advantage of Quad core?Sorry I'm a bit of an amateur with all this hardware stuff, I appreciate your assistance.

edit:it looks like that mobo will support 1333, so if the processor can cope I would consider switching out the RAM.since SP1, FSX will use up to the 32 core limit that is directly schedulable in Win32.go to the nvidia page on the 8 series and look at the numbers and see where your GPU ranks.