Sign in to follow this  
Guest UlfB

Aurora Borealis

Gentlmen,Although I had been able to meet the Aurora in the Arctic Circle of the flight EDDF - RJNN (RJNL now) on the FS2004 until a few years ago, I cannot see the Aurora on the FSX now. There are fx_Aurora1,2,3.fx and fx_aurola.bmp files in the Effects folder of the FSX as same as the FS2004. Where is the .bgl file which describes the conditions to display the Aurora? Sincerely,Kan-ichiro Fushihara

Guest PPSFA

Ive been wondering the same thing for a while but forgot to ask, Im glad you did, hopefully someone has an answer

I have not seen any Aurora in FSX yet, but then I haven't flown above about 62 degrees North, either. I will have to fly polar and see.Hopefully, fx_aurora1, etc. are not mission-only effects. Hopefully these are standard in-sim effects.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest UlfB

Hi all,Maybe you have to add a parameter to your fsx.cfg file under the Display section. I tried:SolarFlare=1SolarWind=MAXbut nothing helped. Maybe it's because I run FSX in DX9 mode. Any help appreciated ;-)Edited: Maybe the parameter should be placed in the Weather section?Ulf B

>Hi all,>>Maybe you have to add a parameter to your fsx.cfg file under>the Display section. I tried:>SolarFlare=1>SolarWind=MAX>I have never heard of either of those .cfg keys. Are you sure those are valid keys the sim recognizes?RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I think he's being facetious. ;)With the addition of the round earth model in FSX it's been a joy to cruise in the high latitudes, I spend a lot of time in northern Norway and running the GIUK route, but I have yet to see the Aurora at any time of year there. That isn't neccessarily a bad thing though as its implementation in FS9 was a little wonky anyway, despite being pretty. It wasn't too hard to climb 'above' the northern lights, which is something even an SR-71 pilot couldn't dream of doing.I'm sure I'm going to blow coffee out my nose if I ever actually do see them though.My poor monitor.Wouldn't be too hard to create a scenery area with them now that I think about it, might just do that actually. :)-mike

Mike Johnson - Lotus Simulations

Guest UlfB

>I have never heard of either of those .cfg keys. Are you sure>those are valid keys the sim recognizes?>>Rhett>Sorry, I just couldn't resist :) Anyway. If Aurora Borealis is simulated in FSX, you should get a better chance of observing it during year 2010 and 2011, when the solar flares reach maximum. This happens every ten years.Ulf B