Sign in to follow this  
Paul Golding

Fresh FSX install SP1 or SP2 or not install? for DX9 o...

Guest DigitalNoise

From all I have been reading it is really confusing...I am giving FSX one more try and not looking for better FPS at the expense of Blurry Terrain Textures But on the other hand if there are some real benefits I want to install. I have many Hi-Res Photo scenery add-ons and some of what has been written seems to indicate that the terrain engine has been effected with the result of less detail going into the distance.I hope that is wrong, but what is the real word?Should I install SP2? if so, install SP1 first?Thanks!

>Should I install SP2? if so, install SP1 first?You cannot install SP2 unless SP1 is installed first anyway... ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest DigitalNoise

>>Should I install SP2? if so, install SP1 first?>>You cannot install SP2 unless SP1 is installed first anyway...>;) Ok, Thanks Bill.Do you feel SP2 is a good update (How much other stuff does it break etc.)?

FSX (full and final version) is FSX + SP1 + SP2 and all add-ons designed for FSX will not be broken. I fail to see how anyone still views this as an optional thing; after all, who was using Windows XP without SP2?If an add-on is FSX compatible, that just mean it's an FS9 add-on that's been ported and it's up to the developer to make it work correctly - or not.Paul

Cheers

Paul Golding

The reason that people view sp2 so cautiously is because it most always screws up a lot of things in the sim. Just look at the messages in here about that. Who wants to have their sim freeze just because they are trying to change something with the tool bar? I had such a bad experience with it that I now use accelerator disc and box for a paperweight.Several times I have been at the point of installing sp2 (downloaded version) but have not as yet because Phil said it is exactly the same as the one in accel and, if that's the case, I don't need that hassle.Don

SP2 is the standard and the final version that all developers build upon, so there is absolutely no reason not to go with SP2.The users with SP2 problems are, in my humble opinion, a tiny majority who have either a highly customized setup, some very rare hard- or software incompabilties or just have plain a screwed up OS from too much tweaking, optimizing and upgrading.I never had any problems whatsoever with SP2.Pat

Guest djholmes1200

Well I just did a fresh install. I didn't install SP1 first, I went right to the Acceleration disk and that worked fine. Not sure if the stand-alone service packs have to be installed in order. Anyways, I couldn't believe what and improvement it made. After I uninstalled FSX, I defragged my hard drive, uninstalled my video card drivers, then ran Driver Cleaner which removed any left-over Nvidia driver files and registry entries. Freshly installed newest drivers and installed FSX to a completely new directory. Defragged again. I was getting minor blurries and stuttering but they have gone away, (except when flying extremely fast and low.) The only add-on scenery I'm using is UTX which still hurts the performance quite a bit but blurries are not nearly as a big a problem as they were.And yeah, I don't think distance stuff is very clear down low, but looks fine up high. Probably just depends on your settings like resolution, AA and stuff.

Acceleration includes SP1 and SP2... so no SP1 required if that is the code you are installing.SP2 (download)does not include SP1.

Bert

>The reason that people view sp2 so cautiously is because it>most always screws up a lot of things in the sim. Just look>at the messages in here about that. Who wants to have their>sim freeze just because they are trying to change something>with the tool bar? I had such a bad experience with it that I>now use accelerator disc and box for a paperweight.>>Several times I have been at the point of installing sp2>(downloaded version) but have not as yet because Phil said it>is exactly the same as the one in accel and, if that's the>case, I don't need that hassle.Don, the only people with "issues" running FSX+Accel or FSX+SP2 are nVidia card owner's who's drivers aren't quite DX10 ready yet, but insist on running in "DX10 Preview" mode.Although from what's been reported here and elsewhere, the latest WHQL drivers from nVidia, along with the tip mentioned in the thread above regarding setting the task bar to "autohide" appears have eliminated the problem(s).

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Uninstalling Acceleration (and installing SP1) cured some nagging issues for me.For instance, uninstalling Acceleration got rid of the error talked about in this thread for me:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...sg_id=654&page=

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

Well I am running xp sp2, NO dx 10 and No addons. The sim is default.Do you think I should install fsx sp2 (the downloaded one)?Don

Guest DigitalNoise

>Don, the only people with "issues" running FSX+Accel or>FSX+SP2 are nVidia card owner's who's drivers aren't quite>DX10 ready yet, but insist on running in "DX10 Preview" mode.Are you kidding me? The whole reason I posted this is because for the last month I have read hundreds of post with SP2/DX9 issues.Do a search just here at AVSIM FSX-SP2-DX9 and a half-dozen pages of results come up, start reading if you have missed them... all kinds of brokered stuff... Shimmering, stutering, broken features etcI have ignored the DX10 post as Aces did not deliver on that period (being a MS product should have helped). I have freinds who envested in exclusive premium hardware simply becasue of the over-hyped FSX DX10 carrot that got dangled so conveniantly before Phil tried to put the train back on its track. They are bitter. I am just disapointed. And please excuse me but I am going to rant just a bit here (then perhaps I'll do as you say and try Sp2).... As an old FS veteren who did a modest amount of scenery aircraft and panel design I see FSX as a unfinished piece that held promise but has been botched in too many respects. Weired looking textures, seasonal hick-ups, fake looking wheather (I feel sorry for the Art director) looks like a product that had a focus then got stopped way to early.Dont take this the wrong way Bill I realize you maybe right but with all the negative post on every site about SP2 including DX9, responses such as yours remind me of when I take the new car into the dealer for service and it is returned with same problem It started with. You hear every excuse "they are all like that" "it needs to break in" " we teste it. its fine". The word do not change the fact that that it has a problem, I paid my money and I want it fixed, simple or I am going to leave it on the lot and my attorny can take care of the rest for me.With FSX it is disapointing, I hate to say it but I dont even look forward to FS11 but Aces is trying it seems. Who knows. Thought I would give one last try but SP2 scares me. Why is that?Will i spend all my time consumed with trying to get all my >FSX add-ons to work? Will it look good?, its funny to see that scenery shots above FL4 look worse in FSX even though its 1 meter/pixel than old FS9 with 4/pixel - Settings Maxed in V-card and in game (not talking about the puke desert textures every where). and all the while the FPS is half of what it was, will FSX mature? Maybe, maybe to late.So I am very tired, dont want to go thru it al again if SP2 is a step forward but two steps back.God I am such long winded old phart. (Hi Tom!)Anyway, thanks for the reply and though your Sp2 thumbs up carries some weight I think I'll wait and see what other resonses come in here before It gets loaded.

Yes, as that is the full and final version of FSX.Oh, and take the advice offered by others and do a fresh install of FSX and SP1, making sure you load and start each install with a reboot and finish off with a few defrags.....there's plenty of advice around on this.

Cheers

Paul Golding

>Are you kidding me? The whole reason I posted this is because>for the last month I have read hundreds of post with SP2/DX9>issues................and how many of those hundreds were multiples by the same people and of those, how many were effectively just complaining that there old FS9 aircraft didn't work right anymore?Seriously, if people took the plentifull advice that's on most relevant websites and did a proper re-install, doing everything in the right order, using half decent hardware and then added proper FSX add-ons.......well I guess that must be the 000's of other users that don't come to the forums to complain?> As an old FS veteren who did a modest amount of scenery>aircraft and panel design I see FSX as a unfinished piece that>held promise but has been botched in too many respects. Weired>looking textures, seasonal hick-ups, fake looking wheather (I>feel sorry for the Art director) looks like a product that had>a focus then got stopped way to early.So you must be well aware of the fact that every release of FS needs new hardware and a bit of tweaking here and there. That said, most posts I've seen from people who seem to know what they're talking about suggest that tweaking the fsx.cfg is probably not a good idea once SP2 is installed.I agree with you comments about the seasonal and texture issues.Paul

Cheers

Paul Golding