Sign in to follow this  
Glynn

Track IR with big jets

Several posters have suggested they use TrackIR with the big planes. I like it for GA, but find the VC to be difficult to use with the bigger planes when it's nice to see more of the panel in a single screen. To those who use TrackIR with the big iron, have you set it differently somehow or just learned to use it effectively? Suggestions?

AMD 3800X, Gigabyte Radeon 5700XT, AS Rock X570 Phantom Gaming 4, 32mb 3600 ram

Guest thx1137

The only think I don't like looking at is usually the FMC that are mounted flat. If there are radios in the pedestal that can be a pain too. On some machines you can press the A button to cycle virtual cockpit views so you can see overhead panels and others easier. I hate using those views but sometimes there isn't much option.Steven.

Guest nattydread

I used it in the past very well. I mapped the zoom buttons to my yoke. When I want to focus on something I zoom out, pan over to it, zoom in nice and close sue the mouse to interact and then zoom out look to what ever else and then zoomed back in to a comfortable view.You get quick with is and used to it real quick...works great.

Er... you don't use TrackIR, do you...? Nothing beats TrackIR when it comes to looking around.

I've used the TrackIR with the "big jets" for over a year now. Wouldn't ever fly the "big jets" without it again. Depending on your monitor setup (I have a 3-wide TripleHead2Go system) there are two very important HotKeys from the TrackIR you will want to program to you joystick or yoke that will make your life much easier in the "big jets".Program both the "Pause" and the "Center" TrackIR HotKeys to your controller. Set the "Pause" one up for "toggle" mode (check the "Toggle" box in the HotKeys tab for it), so alternate presses of it turn the TrackIR On and Off. The "Center" HotKey will just recenter the view each time you press the controller button (there is no "toggle" box for it).What the above allows you to do are these things:1. Any time you need to recenter the view of your cockpit (and you will have to do this once in a while), you don't have to "reach" or "lean" towards your keyboard (which moves your head from your normal position when flying). This allows you to recenter the view based on your "normal" sitting position while flying the aircraft.2. If you need to use the radio panels, FMC, or whatever is located anywhere in the cockpit, you can turn your head to them, move your head forward or backward, or left to right also, until the item you want to use is easily visible on your monitor (note this eliminates any need to "zoom" anything). Then press the "Pause" button on your controller. This will "freeze" that view, and you can easily use your mouse then on the "hot spots" on your screen to change frequencies, transponder codes, FMC inputs, etc, without having to try and hold your head rock-steady so your screen won't move around on you. Once you make your changes, just hit the "Pause" button again, and you are back in business with the TrackIR working. Another benefit is when you are making an approach to landing. In many of the "big jets", it is hard to see over the panel on final unless you move the panel down. It is very easy to make a "sight adjustment" for approaches with the above setup. Just "raise your head" a little to see over the panel, then hit the "Pause" key to freeze the TrackIR. You can now sit back again in your comfortable position and land with a good sight picture of the runway. After touchdown, hit "Pause" button again, and taxiing is a dream (and you can look around at all the pretty scenery then...which you shouldn't have been doing on Final Approach anyhow!). ;-)The above two keys mapped to your controller will make your life much easier with complex cockpits and the TrackIR.EDIT: The above assumes you are using the Virtual Cockpit, of course. But it will also work with the 2-D cockpit if you make the FS configuration file change that allows you to "Pan in Cockpit View" for the 2-D panels.FalconAF

Rick Ryan

>Several posters have suggested they use TrackIR with the big>planes. I like it for GA, but find the VC to be difficult to>use with the bigger planes when it's nice to see more of the>panel in a single screen. To those who use TrackIR with the>big iron, have you set it differently somehow or just learned>to use it effectively? Suggestions? The first thing I do when I download a new aircraft and something I've done to most of my default amd FS9 imported aircraft is to add three "camera definition" sections to the aircraft.cfg. These "camera views", along with three hot-key assignments in FSX and on my joystick, allow me to instantly move from the left seat to the right seat, or to view the overhead panel from between the seats or looking down on the ECU console from just above and behind. I program the #2 hat on my Saitek X-45 stick to generate the "hot key" commands that I specified in the FSX control menu for the camera view switches. I also have the TrackIR enabledisable toggle and the "center" commands mapped to my throttle rocker bar. I freeze TrackIR when I am making adjustments to panel controls in the VC and return to normal once they are set. I no longer fly aircraft that do not have a good VC since I invested in TrackIR and also since FSX PORKED the 2D panel experience. here are the modified camera statements I use on the default A321:[CameraDefinition.001]Title = "Right Seat"Guid = {8ff6c134-098d-409f-baec-caba3f683f98}Origin = Virtual CockpitMomentumEffect = YESSnapPbhAdjust = SwivelSnapPbhReturn = FalsePanPbhAdjust = SwivelPanPbhReturn = FalseTrack = NoneShowAxis = YESAllowZoom = TRUEInitialZoom = .7SmoothZoomTime = 2.0ZoomPanScalar = 1.0ShowWeather = YesXyzAdjust = TRUEShowLensFlare=FALSECategory = CockpitPitchPanRate=20HeadingPanRate=60InitialXyz=1.35, 0.0, 0.0InitialPbh=2, 0, 0HotKeySelect=5[CameraDefinition.002]Title = "Center Console"Guid = {195EAB58-9E4A-2E2A-A34C-A8D9D948F078}Origin = Virtual CockpitMomentumEffect = NoSnapPbhAdjust = NoneSnapPbhReturn = FalsePanPbhAdjust = NonePanPbhReturn = FalseTrack = NoneShowAxis = FALSEAllowZoom = TRUEInitialZoom = 0.9SmoothZoomTime = 2.0ZoomPanScalar = 1.0ShowWeather = YesXyzAdjust = TRUEShowLensFlare=FALSECategory = CockpitPitchPanRate=20HeadingPanRate=60InitialXyz=0.55, 0.50, -0.2InitialPbh=55, 0, 0HotKeySelect=6[CameraDefinition.003]Title = "Overhead Panel"Guid = {4ca337db-ae88-4c5f-96ea-ddebbd2a86fe}Origin = Virtual CockpitMomentumEffect = NoSnapPbhAdjust = NoneSnapPbhReturn = FalsePanPbhAdjust = NonePanPbhReturn = FalseTrack = NoneShowAxis = FALSEAllowZoom = TRUEInitialZoom = 0.8SmoothZoomTime = 2.0ZoomPanScalar = 1.0ShowWeather = YesXyzAdjust = TRUEShowLensFlare=FALSECategory = CockpitPitchPanRate=20HeadingPanRate=60InitialXyz=0.55, -0.58, -0.21InitialPbh=-58.0, 0, 0HotKeySelect=7The "return to left seat" is a default F9.I set the hotkeys to Shift+F7, CTL+F9 andCTL+F10 for the other camera views. Paul

Wide-5.jpg

Guest jshyluk

If you have the money to buy a TrackIR, you should spend that money to buy the TrackIR. Even if you don't like it, you can always return it. I might not be a bad idea to have a second one in case the first one breaks down. I have two, although that's a bit of a story.As for flying in the passenger jets, the TrackIR is just great. The best, of course, are aircraft that feature click-to-enlarge guages that embiggen when you mouse-click on them. You can also program keytrokes or buttons to pop up guages that you are having difficulty seeing, although mostly, I just lean in for the close look and use the pause to lock the view. Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

The profile that I use is a little altered from the default for Track IR. The changes made make it easier to see the overhead panel and pedestal without to much effort. I can go as far as completley looking under the panel and still not have my head totally out of whack.I also found that TIR pause on the middle mouse button works fantastic. Since the only time I reach for the mouse is when I need to push a button, I can now pause it in the same motion in case my head moves the arrow off of the hot point.I also continue to use the F7 assignment for the finer head movements during takeoffs and landings.TIR has been the the most immersive purchase I have made for flight simming. There is not a second I am flying when I am not using it.

Guest Lith1um

Pause on middle mouse, so simple it's genius. Ty for that idea.

>TIR has been the the most immersive purchase I have made for>flight simming. There is not a second I am flying when I am>not using it.Amen to that! :)

HelloMy old TrackIR 3 pro stopped working on the first day of the Christmas holidays, with no chance of getting a new one ordered till the 2nd of january.I tried one flight without it, then shut down the Sim until four days ago when my new TrackIR 4 arrived.I just cannot use the Sim without one of these anymore, best bit of hardware i have ever bought.