Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

Hide your taskbar!!

No, it's not a new watchword! :--)It is the fix I propose to those who get freezing screen/lockups/CTDs with DX10 Preview.I have experienced this problem with all the new drivers Mr Nvidia provides us every two days, always followed by "The driver has stopped responding and has recovered" blah blah message.SITUATION:I begin a flight, enjoy the beauty of FSX/DX10, pan around on external view (this, you can't do on real flights!!), think that life is not that bad, gulps down some coffee, and....bang!FSX freezes, then black screen (I continue hearing the sounds) and I have to close FSX. I then think that life is crual, this coffee is disgusting, I hate FSX etc...THE PROPOSED FIX:1) Check the "Auto-hide the taskbar" thingy before you launch FSX/DX102) Begin the simulator in windowed mode and Maximize the window, then switch to full screen (Alt+Enter)Well, I can't claim that it's "THE" universal fix but at least it works for me. This problem was really driving me nuts for months and I spent hours trying to find a solution.The day the ambulance will take me to the asylum is thus postponed :--)Hope it helps.Regards,

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Hah Haa, That explains why I haven't experienced those problems since I always hide the taskbar:-)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Hmmmmfffffffff!!!! :-mad Ron!!! It took me at least 100 hours and 2000 aspirin pills to find out this %#!!?$ trick and you are laughing!!!:--)))))))))))

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

>Hmmmmfffffffff!!!! :-mad >Ron!!! It took me at least 100 hours and 2000 aspirin pills to>find out this %#!!?$ trick and you are laughing!!!>>:--)))))))))))Not at you, with you:-) If your findings help others that's great news! I was wondering why others had issues and I couldn't duplicate them:-)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Yes, it's so frustrating not to duplicate issues!!:-)Nice opportunity to wish you a very Happy and successfull New Year!!

Best regards,
David Roch

Same to you and the Avsim Staff David! Oh,and thanks to Zane Gard for his review of our FSX C400:-)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

This really seems to be a Vista/Nvidia issue.I was getting some screen flickering (monitor shutting down for 1/2 second and reviving) with DX9, very often when opening sub-windows.This problem is also solved with the above trick.Computers....*:-*

Best regards,
David Roch

Guest bstolle

ACES is working on a fix already... it's called FS11 ;)RegardsBernt Capt 767

>How about MS ACES team fixes FSX.Off-board....and soooooooo boring!

Best regards,
David Roch

The reference to Vista Aero is true. Fortunately for me at least, Aero is shut down each time I launch FSX and returns when I exit FSX.Haven't tried it from the Classic View but will give it a try:-)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

>The reference to Vista Aero is true. Fortunately for me at>least, Aero is shut down each time I launch FSX and returns>when I exit FSX.>>Haven't tried it from the Classic View but will give it a>try:-)>Ron, the weird thing is that Aero shuts down also on my computer when I launch FSX.So maybe the Classical View does something else than just stopping Vista Aero?Chuck's remark about the Vista's icon is very interesting.Hiding the toolbar hides the icon and after few hours of test I can really confirm that I have no more driver problem.Ahhhhh!!.. Computers... :--)

Best regards,
David Roch

Yes, another issue folks might look at is hiding the Sidebar/Gadgets which of course is done when Classic View is used:-)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

I have always hid the taskbar-but I don't have a bit of troubles at all or any of these issues- I use aero and leave it on. 8800gt-latest beta drivers.I still suspect specific card/driver issues from nvidia at the bottom of all this.http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpgMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/