Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

Hide your taskbar!!

Same here Geof. BFG 8800 GT 512 OC. Which beta drivers are you using?

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Yup, the DX10 runway shimmer is an Nvidea driver deal.

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

>169.25 beta-but I didn't have any trouble (menus/crashes>etc.) with even the ones included with the card (the only>problem is the shimmer runway issue in dx10). >http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpg>>My blog:>http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/Hi GeofI also have a 8800GTX.(BTW, 169.25 is now WHQL)You say that you always hide the taskbar and that's the BIG difference I've noticed today.I leave Aero ON, FSX closes it alone and the crash issue is probably related to the taskbar/icon and not to a specific driver.I've just made a 1 hour test with the old 163.15 an had no problem so far with DX10 when hidding the toolbar.Before that the PC was crashing after max 15 min fliying.

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Some additional stability might come from setting two options on the Desktop Shortcut for FSX's Properties/Compatibility tab:1. Disable visual themes2. Disable desktop compositionI've had to set those in order to get FS9 "playing nicely" with Vista32, but haven't (as yet) needed to set them for FSX since my ATI 2400 Pro card doesn't give me the issues in DX10 mode that nVidia owners report...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

>This really seems to be a Vista/Nvidia issue.>I was getting some screen flickering (monitor shutting down>for 1/2 second and reviving) with DX9, very often when opening>sub-windows.>This problem is also solved with the above trick.>Computers....>>*:-* And, it is still a XP/FSX with SP2/Nvidia issue....some have found releive with the latest drivers, some have not.

Guest Lith1um

The Vista extra named "DreamScene" has been known to give some nvidia users stability problems too.

I never have lockups like this. I use DX9 now, but I've used DX10 for quite some time and never had problems. I have ALL Aero options on, I do not hide the taskbar, I have 8800GTX with the 169.25 driver and all is fine (well, not all...). No freezes, no menu problems, nothing. I have however disabled the gadgets-thing at the right of the screen the moment I got Vista, so maybe that was my luck...? I tried to see if setting everything to Classic and hiding the taskbar would cure my blurries (or better said: late loading textures), but it didn't. Apart from THAT all is fine. (Well... I still really really really miss the alpha-fading of autogen... Pity they couldn't restore that in SP2.)

>Some additional stability might come from setting two options>on the Desktop Shortcut for FSX's Properties/Compatibility>tab:>>1. Disable visual themes>2. Disable desktop compositionGood tip BillThanks a lot :--)

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

>The Vista extra named "DreamScene" has been known to give>some nvidia users stability problems too. I've read that Vista SP1 RC fixes this issue but anyway I don't use DreamScene anymore although it's a nice eye-candy feature :--)

Best regards,
David Roch

Guest Jimbofly

How about you stop trolling already - go annoy another group of people on some other board.James

Guest Lennyt

I had all kinds of lock-up problems - cold hard lockups with the sound going and I had to reboot completely - only with DX10 preview and the latest beta drivers from NVidia with the 8800GT 512 mb OC. Since I went back to DX9 (all under Vista Home Premium) not a single lockup. I think I'll wait until this DX10 thing works the kinks out. I had the same type of lockups using Crysis in the DX10 mode.

>>Some additional stability might come from setting two>options>>on the Desktop Shortcut for FSX's Properties/Compatibility>>tab:>>>>1. Disable visual themes>>2. Disable desktop composition>>Good tip Bill>Thanks a lot :--)When I found that "WinXP Compatibility" mode didn't work for FS9, I tried those two settings and FS9 is flawlessly working with both my 22" widescreen main LCD and my secondary 20" 4:3 LCD screen.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator