Sign in to follow this  
Guest SkullxBones

How can I remove the thermal in KSNA ILS approach?

Guest SkullxBones

There is an annoying thermal about a 1/2 mile out from KSNA on the 19R ILS approach. I would like to get rid of it. Anyone know how?I don't know if this is a default thermal or if my LA Megascenery might have put it there?Jeff

under weather settings, tick the "Disable turbulence and thermal effects on aircraft" box. But it makes FSX less fun even thought the thermals can be annoying.

Guest SkullxBones

Yeah, I like flying with variables like thermals and turbulence, so I really don't want to disable these features. I'm just annoyed by this one thermal since I tend to land at KSNA 19R a lot. If the thermal programming wasn't so static and they would change in location and strength, I would welcome an occasional ILS approach through a thermal just to mix things up. But not every time at the same place and same intensity right on the glideslope. Can anyone give me a clue on how to move this one or delete it?Jeff

I think the thermals are created as a type of autogen using the TermalDescriptions.xml file. Other than changing the landclass, it isn't obvious to me how specific locations for thermals are set.There is an alternative theraml generation being developed called CumulusX! which dynamically creates thermals and also ridge lift, and might be of interest:http://www.luerkens.homepage.t-online.de/peter/scott s..

>>Can anyone give me a clue on how to move this one or delete>it?>I believe MS has said that thermals are to some extent, dictated by the underlying landclass in FSX. In other words, certain landclass types might generate a thermal, although I have never done any scientific testing of this. You may only need to change ONE SINGLE lc tile to fix KSNA.An ideal tool for changing one or two tiles is EZ-Landclass by Russel Dirks. It's fast and easy to use, even I can use it...RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

>There is an annoying thermal about a 1/2 mile out from KSNA>on the 19R ILS approach. I would like to get rid of it. Anyone>know how?>>I don't know if this is a default thermal or if my LA>Megascenery might have put it there?>>JeffThis reminds me of the old Coit Road airport in Dallas. It has been gone for many years. But back when I was flying my old Taylorcraft out of there in the summer time I had to run the "thermal gauntlet" every time I landed into the south. There was a blacktop road that ran across the north end of the runway about 40 feet out from the end. So you came across it on final at a very low altitude just about read to cross the fence. One minute you were right on the beam and the next you were being tossed up into the air again just at the wrong time! Then trying to get that old floater of an airplane back down before you had to go around was really an adventure. Needless to say I had to go around more times than I wanted to in the hot summer time!Anyway, I empathize with your frustration.Dewey

Guest BOPrey

Is this for the entire world or just for certain areas? Looks very good to me at first glance.

I have encountered this exact thermal may times on approach to 19R. I'm going to disable it I'm thinking...

Guest SkullxBones

I tried EZ Landclass and modified all the tiles in and around the thermal but it didn't remove it. I do have Megascenery LA installed so I thought it might be overriding the default landclass, so I disabled Megascenery but the thermal was still there in the default scenery.I edited the ThermalDescriptions.xml so the range of effect for this thermal was 0 to .01. It's still in the path but it has minimal effects now. Unfortunately, some of the other thermals over large urban areas are effected also, so this isn't the best method.