Sign in to follow this  
Guest Arry

Interesting observation with 2D panel and framerates

It would be nice if there were someone else that would venture to confirm what I saw when messing with the 2D panel of an aircraft. Here is the story:I was trying to get POSKY's ERJ-145 to work in FSX. I started by first modifying the VC gauges so they were displayed properly. Once this was done, I took her up for a quick flight and noticed that the VC did not provide functionality for the A/P.With this, I decided to also install the 2D panel. I normally never use the 2D panel, in any flight, on any aircraft, but here I had to make an exception for the A/P, light etc. I opted for an easy quick fix and simply imported the Lear 45 2D panel, which would work for what I needed it for. Once this was done, I took her back up for another flight to make sure everything was functioning. Before I even got to that point though, I noticed that my framerate had dropped considerably. Interesting

I fly with three monitors. I have the VC on my main 24" monitor. I make my own 2D panels of gauges and GPS etc..to undock on the other two secondary monitors.In FSX RTM, there was a significant frame rate hit when undocking a 2d panel to a secondary monitor. With SP1 it improved drastically, and I only noticed a slight frame rate hit of around 2 fps. It stayed pretty well the same with SP2 Accelleration.I am not 100% sure, but judging from my results I don't think you should get much of a frame rate hit adding the 2D panel as long as you have SP1 or SP2.It is possible to eliminate the 2D panel. The new planes in Accelleration don't have 2D panels. I didn't notice much of a difference in FPS after I added the extra two 2D panels to the EH101.I think the problem is that if the POSKY's ERJ-145 that you are editing is a FS9 plane, that could be the source of your FPS loss.I have noticed that with any non native FSX aircraft, I get anywhere from 10 to 15 FPS less than the native made for FSX aircraft. I just dont use FS9 aircraft anymore because of the performance issues.Try using a native FSX plane with a 2D cockpit along with the VC, and see if you get better performance.Bill

There is something strange about the fps hit I get when switching to the 2d panel in many planes. For FSX, I bought a way more powerful system, one that runs FS9 at 30+ fps in every situation.. and yet, in FSX, although all is well in the VC, once I switch to a 2d cockpit, the performance is in the teens.Luckily, I rarely use the 2d cockpit anymore since the 16:10 ratio of my current screen makes everything look stretched, and the current generation of virtual cockpits, like the default Maule and the DA Cheyenne, not to mention the great RealAir planes, is wonderful.. But I still wonder what it is that makes a "simple 2d cockpit panel" bring my FSX to it's knees..

Bert

I thought the problem was also the fact that the plane was FS9.I went and removed the 2D main panel from the 737 PIC, which always brough my rig to a crawl at large airports. Once I removed the panel though, the VC panning is much smother as well as framerates in general.No matter, for the future, unless I need a 2D main panel, I will be removing them from the panel.cfg for every aircraft.

>It would be nice if there were someone else that would>venture to confirm what I saw when messing with the 2D panel>of an aircraft. Here is the story:>>I was trying to get POSKY's ERJ-145 to work in FSX. I started>by first modifying the VC gauges so they were displayed>properly. Once this was done, I took her up for a quick flight>and noticed that the VC did not provide functionality for the>A/P.>>With this, I decided to also install the 2D panel. I normally>never use the 2D panel, in any flight, on any aircraft, but>here I had to make an exception for the A/P, light etc. I>opted for an easy quick fix and simply imported the Lear 45 2D>panel, which would work for what I needed it for. >>Once this was done, I took her back up for another flight to>make sure everything was functioning. Before I even got to>that point though, I noticed that my framerate had dropped>considerably. Interesting

Guest Arry

Hello Bill,you wrote, that you added two 2D panels to the EH101.As I only fly with 2D panels and never use the VC, I would like to know, where I can get the 2D panels for the EH101.Can you pease tell me ?Happy landingsArry

Hi Arry,I made my own customized 2D panels using Flight Sim Panel Studio and made a basic steel looking background in photoshop. I made this type of background because the panels are on two lower monitors, and simulate looking down directly at the panel. I use the VC on my main upper monitor at a zoom where I just see the top edge of the glareshield and part of the windowframe.I have seen somewhere, where someone has made standard 2d panels for the EH101 which is what you are probably looking for. It may have been at simouthouse or flightsim.com, but I'm not sure. Sorry I couldn't have been more help.Bill