Sign in to follow this  
grajay

Smoke effect for FSX?

Is there one? I've tried adding Nicks Smoke Effects (excellent in FS9) but nothing shows in FSX so I'm guessing that there's a difference in how the two sims handle effects.Has anyone managed to do this please?Thanks

Guest fsxmissionguy

There are many smoke effects in FSX (hint ... look in your Effects folder). There's a wide variety ... from steam effects, to fire/smoke. Not sure what you're looking for, but there's where you can start.

Steam effect? Where is it used? I'd like to add steam effect to carriers.Any ideas, how?BTW..is this the file ? fx_ForestSteam.fx:)Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

>Is there one? I've tried adding Nicks Smoke Effects>(excellent in FS9) but nothing shows in FSX so I'm guessing>that there's a difference in how the two sims handle effects.>>Has anyone managed to do this please?>>ThanksDo you mean engine heat shimmer effect? I got a message some time ago from nick,he said it definitely will not work in FSX. I'v searched all over for this,no luck.Saw it on a video someplace,looked very effective. If you find anything let us know.

fdc_pfe_supporter.jpg

Guest fsxmissionguy

One steam effect, called:fx_smoke_davwhite.fxis used on the carrier that was deployed in the Acceleration pack.There are many other steam, smoke and dust effects:fx_engsmoke.fxfx_amazonSmoke.fxfx_amazondust.fxfx_amazonTempleDust.fxfx_BldStm_lrg.fxThese are just a few.Far as I know, nobody has come up with a convincing "heat shimmer" effect that could be applied, say, to the exhaust of a large jet engine.

fsxmissionguy,Which cfg file needs to refer to these objects if I want these effects on an aircraft or an aircraft carrier?Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Guest fsxmissionguy

Manny,I'm not a model designer ... but I'm pretty sure that the aircraft (or carrier) designer has to have built into his model contact points for these effects. Thus, you can't just edit a .cfg file to make reference to them ... rather they would be within the .mdl file of the sim model.Of course, they are available to mission designers as well.

>Do you mean engine heat shimmer effect? I got a message some>time ago from nick,he said it definitely will not work in FSX.>I'v searched all over for this,no luck.Saw it on a video>someplace,looked very effective. If you find anything let us>know.Thanks for confirmation that it won't work in FSX - at least I now know I'm not going mad.

Guest Nils79

Try this package: http://library.avsim.net/search.php?Search...=root&Go=SearchI had no problems with it. You only have to keep in mind the maximum number of light entries in the aircraft.cfg - only 19 entries are allowed. Could be a problem with payware airplanes or if you are using the "reverser spray effects" (http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=&Name=&FileName=reverser_spray.zip&Author=&CatID=root).EDIT:Sorry, the reverser spray effects are really smoke effects. I'm getting old :(

>Try this package:>http://library.avsim.net/search.php?Search...=root&Go=Search>I had no problems with it. You only have to keep in mind the>maximum number of light entries in the aircraft.cfg - only 19>entries are allowed. Could be a problem with payware airplanes>or if you are using the "reverser spray effects">(http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=&Name=&FileName=reverser_spray.zip&Author=&CatID=root).>>EDIT:>Sorry, the reverser spray effects are really smoke effects.>I'm getting old :(Hi Nils, Re The ees-v32-zip. I'm a little confused. It says in the manual 'copy the autosmoke folder into the FS gauges folder." Is this the main FS gauges folder or the one for a specific aircraft? I'd like to get it into the default FSX 747. Thanks for your help. Cheers Ray.

fdc_pfe_supporter.jpg

Guest Nils79

Hi Ray,yes, it's the main Gauges folder.For the coordinates you can orientate yourself on the values in the "GeneralEngineData" section of the aircraft.cfg. And for easy fitting, you can first use a red nav light effect instead of the "smoke" effect.

Hi Nils, Sorry you lost me there. I think I got all the files in and in the correct places, then it got complicated. I'm sort of new to this.Can you sort of steer me in the right direction.Thanks for your help Cheers Ray

fdc_pfe_supporter.jpg

Thanks again Nils - I installed the package and tried the effect in a PAI aircraft. I got quite a good smoke effect although a but the smoke is a bit odd looking once the aircraft was at altitude. I shall now experiment and see how I can change things. Unfortunately I don't think this will be a successful package for all my AI aircraft because adding the panel.cfg and panel folder then makes the aircraft appear in the Select Aircraft in FSX (unlike FS9 when a tweak of the air file could make the aircraft invisible) and so adding a panel/panel.cfg folder to ALL my AI aircraft would make loading and changing user aircraft just about impossible.Thanks once again.