Sign in to follow this  
Guest jshyluk

What is reasonable (texture loading)

Try increasing your TextureBandwidthMult setting. Don't go all the way to 400 or you'll introduce some stuttering. Try around 200 to start. I know Phil Taylor recommends a lower number, but I seem to get the best result around 200 on my system. I don't see this problem myself with textures, although, I have seen autogen pop ups!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Guest jshyluk

Hmm, sarcasm? I don't see a dynamic LOD as being science fictional in the least. It's been done before for other games. I've been racking my brain to try to remember the name of the helicopter sim from the early '90s that had a spherical LOD, and I am kind of sure the old Falcon 4.0 used it as well. Just because the ground detail in those games wasn't as sophicticated as FSX has it now doesn't make a dynamic LOD out of reach, in my estimation. In MSFS, the LOD is considered as a theoretical fixed-radius geometrical shape in only the X & Y planes, i.e. a cylinder. Your LOD remains the same regardless if you are at 10 feet or 10,000. An example of a "simple" dynamic LOD would be one that is a sphere around the aircraft, instead of a cylinder. The closer you get to zero altitude, the greater the radius of the sphere becomes as it intersects the ground. The higher you fly, the smaller the radius becomes. It's the interaction of the LOD sphere versus the ground that would dynamically drive the size of the LOD. I know it's been done in other games. I am sure it's not likely for FSX. Therefore, I would count it as a possibility for a future sim.My guess is that ACES will try to move away from having dozens of sliders for the user to get hung up on, and instead have the sim dynamically manage the sliders internally, with the user having just a broad general input as to how the sim should look. FSX does that a little bit, and my own personal experience with it was terrible: when FSX initilizes, it tries to do its best to assess your system and run a video using the in-game graphics. Unfortunately, in my case, FSX failed to see the video card in my system and dropped all of the sliders down to minimum, which looked nasty. Presumably, if the sliders are simplified and internalized, ACES will have a more robust system in place to make sure the sim is using all of the available computer power. If this were the case, I would like to see some kind of setup wizard that would help me and MSFS make intelligent choices: something that has a preview window and that can ask questions that would lead to better video: Do you want to see lots of vehicles? Do you want to see sharp textures in the cockpit? Do you want to see clouds far away? Does this framerate look okay to you? Do you like the way the lights look? Stuff like that. Now that would be science fictional, but it would still be neat, and it may go a long way to demystify how to set up visuals. This is my own opinion, and it does not replect the official opinion of AVSIM, if any, on this topic.Jeff ShylukAssistant Manging EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

Hmm, sarcasm? I don't see a dynamic LOD as being science fictional in the least. It's been done before for other games. I've been racking my brain to try to remember the name of the helicopter sim from the early '90s that had a spherical LOD, and I am kind of sure the old Falcon 4.0 used it as well. Just because the ground detail in those games wasn't as sophicticated as FSX has it now doesn't make a dynamic LOD out of reach, in my estimation.Huh???:-hmmm :-hmmm :-hmmm Where did you get that from my post? :-hmmm :-hmmm :-hmmm

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Hi Geof,Where's the switch in fsx.cfg to turn off autogen buildings?Thanks- Bruce.

Hi Bruce!In your fsx.cfg file place the following under the Terrain section:[TERRAIN]TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=4500TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=0000A couple notes. Some have reported putting the buildings at zero causes crashes-if this is the case you may want to put a low number but not zero.On my system it really doesn't make much of a difference performance wise-I do it for looks. I have been torn as the photo textures when turned all the way up look very real from about 500 ft. agl-more real to me than the autogen buildings that look a little lego like to me and cover up the photo real textures. By doing this tweak(and turning your scenery complexity all the way up)-all the airport buildings, city buildings, custom buildings show up-all the trees are maxed-and once taking off and getting a little altitude-the photo real's also show up with full trees around them. I like this look the best.http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpgMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/183193.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/183194.jpg

Thanks Geof, I will try this. I have a new rig now too and am really getting some enjoyment out of FSX.Bruce.

>I was curious and decided to see how the same looked in FS 9 ->here are some shots looking towards the rear of the aircraft,>towards the front, and directly under:>>http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/183134.jpg>Best regards.>>LuisThanks for reminding me why I use FSX exclusively. :D

Hello Rhett,I love that helicopter too! It is Lasse Lindh's Helicycle that I painted in the colors of Tom "Mister Tom" Sled's "The Hawaiian", N3722T (Two To Tango!). That is probably the best known of all the Helicycles presently flying, a great toy that is nonetheless a high performance, turbine powered sport helicopter. Mister Tom says he likes the paint job, but he has since removed the yellow hibiscus flowers as they tended to peel off (decals). Even the pilot is wearing a Hawaiian shirt.Best regards.Luis

Guest jshyluk

Not your post Tom, but Jim's a couple before yours. My bad for not using the "quote" feature.Jeff ShylukAssistant Manging EditorSenior Staff ReviwerAVSIM