Sign in to follow this  
rhagen

Acceleration Helicopter Mission Problems

Guest NYURDRMS

Is anybody else haveing difficulty completing the helicopter missions in acceleration? I am talking about the ones where you have to pick something up with the winch, seems like you have to hover exactly to make it work, which seems to be impossible. These are becoming very frustrating.Are there any tips for doing this?Sure wish there was a hover button.Thanks in advance.Chad

Guest fsxmissionguy

Chad,I started designing missions as a way to teach myself how to fly the helicopters in FSX. I just didn't get it. What I learned is that it does take some practice and is a learned skill in ways that fixed wings aren't.I will say this, however. Many of the missions on FSX require you to hover the EH101. There is a slight bug related to engine torque in the model that shipped with Acceleration. You can't fix it, but you can damp it.Go to your Realism settings and change the Torque setting. Push it all the way to the left. Then go refly the Slingload Tutorial.Even with this "fix" you will still have your hands full with this helicopter - primarily because you are trying to do something you're probably not used to doing ... and that is hovering at higher altitudes, which is an order of magnitude more difficult to master than a ground hover.Keep at it. Practice. Don't let it frustrate you. And you'll become an excellent helicopter pilot. Those missions are difficult, and they're meant to provide you with a challenge that will hone your skills. If you merely focus on finishing them and earning the reward, you've probably missed the point of them.Cheers,Kevin

Guest Lith1um

Personaly, I can't believe they released the EH101 in that state. It's an embarassment to microsoft imo. Like a beautiful majestic oak tree, but when you look at the rear side you see it's rotting away. The freeware Hovercontrol_412_PE_v1_FSX has a better flight model if you're interested in a nice freeware helo. Doesn't help you with the missions, but I thought I'd mention it in case you're interested.http://64.34.169.161/cgi-bin/ifolio/imageF.../HC_Helicopters

Guest fsxmissionguy

That freeware model does not have lifting or winching capabilities.

The slingload missons are very rewarding once you complete them. It took me quite awhile to get the hang of it. I would save the mission after completing each of the 3 portions of it. Now after learning the skills needed, I can now fly it in 1 session without saving it. The payload recovery mission really tests your skills of flying with a load attached. Keep at it, you will get it.Alos, maybe I'm missing something but I seem to be able to fly the EH 101 without difficulty. I do hear the surge of the engines but I don't experience any changes in flight attitudes/altitudes when it happens. Am I missing something?Jim

Guest NYURDRMS

Thanks for everybody with the reply. I do have the torque all the way to the right, so I will try moving that to the left and see if that helps at all and keep practicing.

Guest Lith1um

Thank you, I'm aware that 412 has no sling or hoisting gear. :-)I merely posted the link so the OP would be able to see what a helo fly's like without having to fight a funky flight model.While the acceleration EH101 can certainly be flown reliably, imo there's no way it can be considered a proper representation of an EH101 flight model. Or a helo in general for that matter. Im not a real world helo pilot, but something isn't right about the eh101.I still enjoy flying it, and the missions though.Just my opinions.edit:And I think there is a file in the library that adds autopilot functions to the eh101. Particularly, it adds auto hover. I don't remember where I saw it though, and I dont use it myself.edit: This might be it, EH101 Autopilot configuration/installation - FSX Acceleration Search the avsim library.

Guest fsxmissionguy

Jim,No, you aren't. Even though you do hear an engine surge (and will see it on one of the gauges) the model isn't actually "surging."The EH101 certainly isn't perfect. I think the instruments in the VC are too difficult to read, for example, even if they are positioned and sized according to what one might see in real life (and I have no idea, since I've never been in an EH101).Excepting the torque problem, however, the simulation is pretty good for a helicopter with lifting and winching capabilities. Even with its quirks, I think it compares favorably to other payware EH101 models.I also have Jordan Moore's 412 and find it to be a fun model to fly. If you don't have it, get it. But, by its design, it can't simulate what the EH101 is trying to simulate - which is primarily what it would be like to operate a heavy lifter and of course, rescue winching operations. These two capabilities vastly expanded helicopter operations in Flight Simulator and I applaud ACES for having a commitment to expanding rotorcraft in the sim.Hopefully ACES will be able to iron out the smallish EH101 issues in the next version.

Yes, the Gauges in the VC are difficult to read. Most missions with it I end up using "shift Z" to monitor speed & altitude.BTW, thanks for the missions you put out. I still fly the Boston one frequently. It is my favorite "non lifting mission" to date.Jim

Guest fsxmissionguy

Jim,Well thanks a lot for saying so. You know ... that was the first mission I ever attempted, and I still replay it myself (although I can now see all the mistakes I made ... hahaha.!)

Guest ronht

Here is a YouTube video of one of my successful attempts with the Slingload mission.

A good stick-throttle and rudder definitely make this easier but as has been said before - practice makes perfect (or close to it)enjoyron

Guest ronht

P.S.The real trick to this mission is speed control. Don't let your speed get above 20kts with a load on the sling. enjoyron

Guest Aetos1160

Hello Chad,Try the hover gauge HC075DI_HOVER_GAUGE at Hovercontrol.com. It works perfectly in the EH101 and is easy to master. Of course it's much easier that way but you will no longer be frustrated! :-).You could also add the 2D pop up PFD & MFD gauges to your cockpit which is more realistic than the Shift-Z option. File is in the Avsim library.Happy hovering :-rotor

Guest fsxmissionguy

Hmmmmmm ... I've never seen a chopper you could fly from 50 feet behind it and 20 feet above it.:)For a real learning experience, stay in the VC. In order to get a feel for your position relative to the objects, open a second window (frame hit here) that shows the Hoist view and place it next to the HSI in the VC.At the end of the day, you need to be able to complete this mission without this window ... but it can be useful in helping you learn the visual cues that let you know you are directly above the object you want to pick up.(Unless I am mistaken, typically during operations of this type, a person on the ground provides cues to the pilot over a radio while also handling the hookup. Perhaps some of our military guys can explain what occurs in real life?)

You can add the sling and/or hoist to any helicopter aircraft.cfg file provided you have Acceleration. Check Hovercontrol.com's forums for details on this and adding views if your interested.Example:{Sling.0}hoist_extend_rate = 5 //Feet per secondhoist_retract_rate = -5 //Feet per secondposition = 0.0, 3.97, 7.39 //Feet from datummax_stretch = 2.0 //Max stretch distance at ultimate loaddamping_ratio = 0.6 //0 for no damping to 1.0 for critically damped.rated_load = 600 //Characteristics tension of cable in poundsultimate_load = 2250 //Breaking force in poundstolerance_angle=45 //Angle, in degrees, used to determine lateral breaking force limit auto_pickup_range = 8 //Max Range, in feet, for auto-pickupauto_pickup_max_speed = 8.5 //Maximum speed (feet per second) for auto-pickup hoist_payload_station = 4 //Payload station in which the hoist will load in and out of. 4 = "Troop Seat AFT".hoist_door=0 //Door associated with hoist. Must be open for use. EH101 was 2; 0 = main ?{Sling.1}position = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0 //Feet from datummax_stretch = 2.0 //Max stretch distance at ultimate loaddamping_ratio = 0.75 //0 for no damping to 1.0 for critically damped.rated_load = 3000 //Characteristics tension of cable in poundsultimate_load = 9000 //Breaking force in poundstolerance_angle=70 //Angle, in degrees, used to determine lateral breaking force limit auto_pickup_range = 8 //Max Range, in feet, for auto-pickupauto_pickup_max_speed = 8.5 //Maximum speed (feet per second) for auto-pickup