Sign in to follow this  
Guest YukonPete

I Need Settings For Nvidia 8800 GTX???

Keep working on it.I have a lesser machine & have excellent results.No blurries, frame rates up to 80 & about 20 at complexairports with default big iron, superb default scenery, max weather,full LOD, texture resolution 1 metre,8xAF- no addons, except Megasceneries & VFR England,frames unlimited - no tweaks, one monitor.Don't give up! For FSX is far better than FS9!2 Core Duo E6600, 4 gig DDR ram, GF 8800 GTS320 Vista 32

Hello Fellow Simmers!I finally upgraded my system to something of the 21st century, I bought the Dell 720, Quad 2 Extreme 6850@3.0 unclocked, 4gb RAM, Nvidia GeForce 8800GTX, Creative X-Fi sound, Windows XP, and a whole lot of storage. I was all excited to get this bad boy up and running and when I got FSX loaded up, well, let's just say I was a little disappointed in the FPS. I presumed with this much power that I could do anything. I run two 19" monitors and my FPS at LAX is 2-4. I have updated all the drivers I could. I have ultimate traffic installed along with PMDG 747, Level-D 767, Pilatus, and other add-on's. Can someone please help me with this issue?Thanks for your time!

Guest bnick

I have a very similar system except with 4gb ram and quad processors... I have the same 8800 but with only one 24" monitor... I'm pulling on the very lowest fps about 17 and that is over Seattle or even on the tarmac at SeaTac... Even with heavy weather I'm seeing 22 to 24fps at that airport which has always put a big hit for me on fps... That low hit of 17fps is just a momentary number but most often is reading like I said above 22 to 24fps...Flying over Portland where I live with FlightZone02's huge super-cool scenery package that I just checked its size on and is 550mb, and with GEX loaded with pretty high graphics settings, 75% AI, 15% roads, 50% water traffic, normal weather 60 mi, Very Dense Autogen, no ground shadows/bloom/flare, 1x high water, Global textures maxed, 1680x1050x32 res, Anisotropic with AA, Mesh complexity 85, Global Radius High, Texture res maxed, Aircraft ultra high, I'm seeing just about everywhere else 22 to 45 near all cities and most airports and at 20k and above it consistently varies anywhere from 55 to 77... I can safely say I'm very pleased with my switch from 2: 7800GTX's running in SLI with Vista Ultimate64 to a single 8800 XFX Alpha Dog edition 768mbDDR3 ram with stock Shader Clock of 1350MHz and it's Memory Clock of 1.9GHz... This single 8800 is an honest 20% faster than both of my 7800GTX's in SLI on Vista Ultimate64 tested on 3Dbench06... Card for card this single 8800 is 49% faster than a single 7800GTX in Vista64 and interestingly enough 46% faster in WinXP Pro32 and SLI dual boards in XP Pro32 were 18% slower than this single 8800 Hotrod... I have to add the Quad processors add a real boost in FSX ever since SP1 and now with SP2 the whole sim loads in about 2/3rds the time it did in SP1... No Acceleration installed and no overclocking on anything...Now, where I really have seen big fps hits is whenever and wherever I'm flying, no matter how high, or barren the landscape, when I have turned on the DX10 Preview option in FXS... That thing knocks me down to 14fps over desert and 9fps over large cities, yet DX10's effects are unbelievable in Crysis, Call of Action 4, etc, with super high fps, and haze, smoke, waterfall vapors, clouds, and water so real and like nothing I have have ever seen to date...I own and run a PCServer maintenance business and have worked deeply in computers since 1986, and I have to say until the 9 series Nvidia chipsets prove themselves, nothing for me beats these 8800 series boards in bang-for-the-buck performance within FSX...What a beast this FSX program is... I'm simply in awe of the resources it requires... When I land ILS at SeaTac from Portland and shut down my engines at the jetway my Vista Task Manager is showing FSX using 2.45gb of ram at dusk in heavy weather and 75% AI, which makes it all come alive...SP2 was much needed and really smoothed my flights out, but the 8800 makes it really fun... 4gb and Quad processors being powered by a 650watt power supply don't hurt either...Time to fly...bnick

You do realize that by having WinXP instead of Vista, you aren't going to be able to use DX10 on that shiny new 8800GTX...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Yes, I realize that but I was afraid of compatability issues with other programs I have and with all the negative press about Vista I wanted to wait until more updates were done. Even the Dell salesperson said I would be better off with XP.

Thanks for your input. I, too, have Call of Duty 4 and the machine is flawless when running it. The game really comes alive!

Guest YukonPete

My system is similar to yours and I get very good results in FSX. Make sure light bloom is off and you have both FSX patchs. Also defrag your HD regularly!

Guest YukonPete

I have no issues what so ever with Vista! Only some older games ( Pre Vista ) Have issues but most are fine!I added a second HD to my XPS 720 and made it a dual boot. I run my older games in XP and new games in Vista