Sign in to follow this  
Gypsy Baron

Are AFX files the same as AFCADS?

Yes and No - There cannot be FSX AFCADSThe program AFCAD2 by Lee Swordy cannot read FSX default airport data. Using airport data files modified and saved with AFCAD causes many features of FSX to disappear or stop working. So using AFCAD files in FSX is a bad idea.There are THREE programs currently available which do much the same function as AFCAD for FSX. Each requires a purchase - either of the program (Airport Facilitator X - AFX) or the deluxe version of FSX with the BGLComp SDK installed (Airport Design Editor - ADE or FSXPlanner).Each takes a slightly different approach to how it handles items and the code necessary to create the scenery .BGL files which we call AFCADs in FS2004.ADE and FSXP use the Microsoft BGLComp to create their airport files. The both use SDE as the program to read the data from the default files and put it into a form which the user can work with/ modify.AFX uses a customized decompiler and compiler.Each has their strengths and weaknesses. None is 'finished' at this point (of course AFCAD was never finished either) and all are still being actively developed/ updated.That is the greatest strength - three developers with good support working to make their programs better.One word of advice though - because of some things about how each works - only try to edit/ modify downloaded AFX files with the AFX program. Only use ADE for ADE files and only use FSPlanner for FSXP files.http://www.airportdesigneditor.co.uk/http://www.zbluesoftware.com/fsxplanner/index.cfmYou will also find many files in the library which were created the 'hard way' by working with XML code - including my CYRV with changed runway designators.You have to be careful about editing those because there are many things which can be put into XML files outside the airport header - and opening one of these files with any of those tools can destroy that information.Most people adding files to the library today make a point to include which of the three tools they used to create the file.

Guest Zelensta

Thanks, but I alredy put in some AFCADs, (maybe thats why I've been getting fatal errors -.-)

>Thanks, but I alredy put in some AFCADs, (maybe thats why>I've been getting fatal errors -.-) I load FS9 AFCADs into ADE with the "Open Airport from BGL" function. Then run the error checking tool and make any changes needed, then compile the file to a new BGL and replace the original FS9 AFCAD BGL. You can do this with FSX Planner as well. Paul

Wide-5.jpg