Sign in to follow this  
Guest PowderBlue

Rain and Snow

Hopefully someone will, because I have to agree with you, the FSX effects are indeed 'horrid'. Not sure how someone could have thought this was an improvement over FS9. This issue is probably my only real 'beef' with X.

Guest PowderBlue

Can anything be done about the horrid rain and snow effects in FSX? Thanks

Guest PowderBlue

I agree when I saw it I was like "Come on someone had to see that lol"

>Can anything be done about the horrid rain and snow effects>in FSX? ThanksIt would be good if Flight Environment (FEX) or Real Environment Xtreme (REX) improved on these effects. Maybe it's planned??

Matthew S

Someone once said the FSX snow looks like "snow javelins". hehe.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

My biggest issue is that the rain and snow comes out of/is created from a conical shape, and it is like you are looking into the point of its origin.

Guest DigitalNoise

>Can anything be done about the horrid rain and snow effects>in FSX? ThanksNo, we don

Guest PowderBlue

Ya but the whole thing that gets me is the development issue. Didn't anyone take a look at this and say what the heck? lol

I just went through several re-installs of FSX and then did a system switch from XP to Vista because of this :-)I never realized that is is supposed to be snow. I was scanning the forums for smoke and debris flying when taxiing on the runway. I suspected wrong altitude levels causing tis effect and finally was sure that my DVD media was installing a corrupted file.After I posted screen shots somebody told me that this is the MS interpretation from snow. I am an imaginary guy, but that thought never occurred to me.Well, now I have FSX on Vista and I am even more satisfied than before. And yes, how the original poster said: this is the one completely unacceptable thing I have seen in FSX. Nobody knows an alternative?Cheers,Martin

Cheers,

Martin

The Owl's Nest * Military Aircraft Reference * ICAO Reference * Distance Calculator * MAIW, Military AI & UKMil Reference

Guest cbuchner1

This could be attacked on multiple levels.One could hook into the DirectX API. I currently inject a moving map into the screen in Tileproxy with this technique. I am pretty sure I could detect the "rain and snow tunnel" polygons of FSX and render something else instead if I tried hard enough.Also it is possible to modify the shader code that FSX uses to render rain and snow. In the DX10 preview I was able to fix a bug that caused the "rain tunnel" to intersect with the ground plane and get clipped - there is a different thread here where I posted the fix. If one can modify the shader, one can also make it render the effect differently (possibly better).The animated rain/snow textures could also be replaced with something else.Maybe a combination of all 3 things is best. But it may take weeks to come up with something decent, so I am not taking this challenge.Christian

I never understood why MS sits back and lets all you people do the hard work? There are no excuses for things like this. Worse weather effects than FS9? it must be a joke that they are planning on fixing with a patch... except they never addressed it. Its too bad examples like this are why the flight sim community never gets bigger