Sign in to follow this  
Mango

NZPG Recommendations

Guest kburgoyne

Greetings All --After having flown around the world in "my" LearJet (the default FSX Lear), I decided I'd travel around picking up the special airfield badges -- remotest, highest, etc.My "rules" are to pretend to do it as close to real-world as possible. Same rules I used when flying around the world. This includes flying myself from place to place and not "magically" transporting myself from place to place.Since you would not fly a Lear into many of these special airfields in the real-world, my approach is to use the Lear to fly to the closest airfield that is appropriate for the Lear. I then "rent" an alternate type of aircraft at that airport, use it to fly to the objective airfield, then back again to pick up my Lear and move on to the next objective airfield.In the case of SCIP (remotest), that objective was easily accomplished by just flying the Lear to SCIP since it is completely reasonable to operate a Lear out of SCIP.In the case of SPRF (highest), the combination of dirt runway, high altitude, and marginal runway length (for the altitude), meant it was unreasonable to fly the Lear directly into the airfield. I therefore flew the Lear from SCIP to a larger airfield near SPRF, then "rented" a Cessna Grand Caravan to pop over to SPRF and back again. (I brought along a few FedEx deliveries to help defer the cost. )(BTW... I really like the price of jet fuel under FSX. )So now I'm ready to fly the Lear over to New Zealand with the intention of ultimately heading for NZPG (southern-most). Obviously taking the Lear directly to NZPG is not a real-world option.Now for my question:In best emulation of the real-world, what is everyone's recommendation on what I should "rent" in New Zealand to pop over to NZPG and back again. My analysis is that FSX does not have a default aircraft capable of performing this mission. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.Those default FSX aircraft with sufficient range to make the round-trip are not compatible with operating out of NZPG. Generally speaking, only some of the default jets appear to have the range, but they are "real-world" incompatible with operating out of NZPG.Another critical point is that NZPG does not have fuel. That is probably "more than less" true about NZPG in the real world, but under special circumstances I suppose there might be some 50 gallon drums to pump fuel out of. I'll generally assume that anyone flying into NZPG should not expect to get refueled there. This means the "rented" aircraft needs to make the full round-trip to/from an airfield that has fuel.I've been reading some of the NZPG posts. It appears the popular aircraft for NZPG is the C130. Is this the general consensus? Are there alternatives (available for FSX) to be considered?Obviously "renting" an aircraft smaller than the C130 just for myself would be closer to something a person would do in the "real-world" if it was an option. However since I'm also a "virtual world" billionaire, I have the option of renting a C130 for my little joy-ride if that's the only reasonable option.What "virtual" supplier of the recommended aircraft should I consider? There appear to be a couple suppliers of C130's online for download, but it's not entirely clear whether either or both is compatible with FSX. Forum threads will often shift around between FSX, FS9, etc. Any alternative aircraft and suppliers to consider?Thanks!

Guest tcable

Generally, the C130's that go to the Antarctic are flown by the Us Navy or the NYANG flying ski equipped C130's (I knew a NYANG Colonel that used to do it out of Schenectady ! He also flew C5's out of Stewart and delivered the first Patriot missiles to Israel in the first Gulf war. Not bad for a weekend drill) They used to deliver Fuel to the DEW and BMEWS sites in the arctic as well. All in 55 gallon drums!http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Williams_Field (Ski only)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pegasus_Field (Wheeled AC)There's definitely fuel at Williams, and they could truck it in or otherwise to the ice runway at Pegasus.

NZPG reportedly has a 10,000 foot runway, so why can't you fly a 737 or even 747 there? Or lear? If it's gravel, assume your a/c has gravel plates fitted. :)I too am trying to obtain the badges. I have both SCIP (most remote) and SPIM (highest). I did like you in Peru, I flew the A321 to Cuzco, then flew the Maule the rest of the way into SPIM.Right now I am trying to get the lowest airfield badge, which I think is obtained by landing at Metzada in Israel on the DEAD SEA. I am presently at Port Sudan on the red sea coast, moving northward now.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

'Scheduled services' into McMurdo are normally a Ski-equipped C130 out of Christchurch (NZCH), operated by RNZAF or USAF. There have been instances of "itinerant wanderers" turning up in other aircraft http://www.southpolestation.com/news/rv4/rv4.html but the welcome is "limited" and you're expected to prearrange your own fuel. But of course, once you've reached McMurdo, you should head South to NZSP, South Pole Station - you really can't get further South than that! A Ski-equipped Twin Otter would be appropriate for that trip. Don't forget to do it before April, or the Pole will be closed for the Winter!

Guest kburgoyne

After reading about the heavy lifting jets operating wheeled out of NZIR, I'm milling things over in my mind. I'd still rather be "appropriate" without getting carried away.I'm not seeing anybody make any recommendations about the best C130 add-on to buy if I want to go that route.

Guest kburgoyne

Ya, I've read stories about people deciding to just "show up" acting like it was some tourist spot or something, and all they need is their American Express card. :-) I'll be pretending that I've made the appropriate polite arrangements.Good point about popping down to the pole. Might as well while I'm there.

I did SAWH - NZPG in a C-17 Globemaster. Thought I was gonna slide off the runway but finally stopped.

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

Guest kburgoyne

Was that using FSX? If so, who's C17 did you use? Since the default FSX aircraft are "inappropriate", I'm interest in which add-on aircraft people have used that are compatible with FSX.

Guest LtRob

Pegasus is the 'ice runway' at McMurdo. I've seen C-130s, C-141s, C-17s, C-5s, Twin Otters, helicopters, and AN-124s in there. It is only a little over 2,000 miles from NZ, so it should be in the realm of the Lear. For the most realism, the US Navy operated ski-equipped R4Ds (DC-3s), so you could try that. Williams Field is the snow runway that is open (October-early March), so I wouldn't for realism try Williams in the Lear.

Guest kburgoyne

Thanks Rob. I did figure that the Lear would have to land at NZIR or NZPG. Obviously direct to NZPG earns me the badge without needing the side-trip.I spotted that the Lear could make the distance, but only one-way. Therefore my comments about refueling. I was thinking I probably wouldn't get a very good price trying to sell my Lear, with an empty fuel tank, once I got there.For "realism", it looks like I'm facing two options:#1: I fly something larger down there that can make the round-trip without refueling.#2: I "manually" refuel something smaller. (What would be considered "cheating" without the argument that the "real" airfields in this case do actually have fuel available.)"Manually" refueling appears to be "realistic" in this particular instance since fuel is available "in the real world", and it's only a matter of FSX not emulating that fact. However flying something larger that can make the round-trip means being able to deal with fueling correctly within the FSX world -- which is my preference if it can be achieved.Since the default FSX aircraft are inappropriate for the round-trip without refueling approach, I'd still like to hear everyone's input concerning a good third party add-on aircraft for FSX. Does anyone want to recommend an add-on C130? C17? etc? that they have experience with being compatible with FSX?Thanks!

Guest kburgoyne

BTW Rhett, if you could clean up LLMZ before leaving, that would be great! I'm headed there now.I'm on my SPSO-SBMQ (Peru-Brazil) leg. Since I'm in a Lear, I have to pop down to earth for some juice a bit more frequently than your A321. I appear to not have as much money as you since you can afford an A321 and I can only afford a Lear. :-)I was going to head west for New Zealand, but there are no nice jet-A fuel stops between SPSO and New Zealand. Once you're past SCIP, it's pretty dry in the Pacific when it comes to jet-A within the Lear's range. It was either head back to North America then out to Hawaii, or go east.I decided to head east and pick up LLMZ before going for NZPG. I hadn't crossed South America or Africa yet, so those were extra incentives to head east.My route is SPSO-SBMQ-GVAC-DAUZ-LVGZ. LVGZ is Gaza. I'm rather hoping things are quiet when I get there. :-)Haven't decided whether I'm taking the Lear into LLMZ. The runway's 700 feet short for takeoff (by safety spec), but it's also 1200 feet below sea level. It's probably an easy short-field takeoff, but I don't have much practice at that so I'm unsure.Were you going to take the A321 directly into LLMZ? -- Don't leave your A321 blocking the runway!! :-)

Captain Sim are in the process of converting their FS9 C130 to FSX. It's expensive though, and the expansion pack containing the LC130 (ski version) isn't out yet.http://www.captainsim.com/products/c131/There's a freeware FS9 C130 in the library here, that worked with FSX SP1, but I don't know about SP2.

Guest kburgoyne

Thanks Tim. I'll keep my eye on it.

>than your A321. I appear to not have as much money as you>since you can afford an A321 and I can only afford a Lear. >:-)>You should see the interior. Shag carpet walls...I'm tellin ya...>I was going to head west for New Zealand, but there are no>nice jet-A fuel stops between SPSO and New Zealand. Once>you're past SCIP, it's pretty dry in the Pacific when it comes>to jet-A within the Lear's range. It was either head back to>North America then out to Hawaii, or go east.>You might be able to go from SCIP to Tahiti, Fa'aa airport. ??You'd be surprised at the limitations of the A321's range. I bet your Lear has as long a legs as the A321 does.>I decided to head east and pick up LLMZ before going for NZPG.> I hadn't crossed South America or Africa yet, so those were>extra incentives to head east.>I'll be heading the reverse. After LLMZ I plan to go to the southernmost airport. I didn't realize that was a badge place, A BIG THANK YOU for telling me. Also I guess there is a northernmost airport, too, which I take to be Alert, NWT or maybe Thule Greenland. Might be a little cold this time of year up there.>>Were you going to take the A321 directly into LLMZ? -- Don't>leave your A321 blocking the runway!! :-)You know LVGZ Gaza airport is closed...Israel cratered it last year. I mean cratered it...with cluster bombs. I don't know of any scenery that duplicates this though. :)I actually use all types of aircraft to fly around, although mainly I have been using the ES Twin Comanche, the A321, the SGA DC-10-30F. I do the same as you, if I want to see some place, I fly there, rather than magically transporting myself there in the sim.I actually flew the default 747 to Easter Island and back to Peru.I will probably fly the Twin Comanche into LLMZ, I am not wild enough to try the A321. And if there's no parking at LLMZ, well, then I guess I won't stay long enough to block the runway for you.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

Did you happen to hear anything about the A320 that they test-flew from Australia to Antarctica about a month ago?There are probably still stories out there, if you google it.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett