Sign in to follow this  
Mango

NZPG Recommendations

Guest kburgoyne

>You should see the interior. Shag carpet walls...I'm tellin>ya...>You'd be surprised at the limitations of the A321's range. I>bet your Lear has as long a legs as the A321 does.It's that interior of yours... all that mahagony furniture and everything. You've really killed your fuel efficiency.>I'll be heading the reverse. After LLMZ I plan to go to the>southernmost airport. I didn't realize that was a badge>place, A BIG THANK YOU for telling me. Also I guess there is>a northernmost airport, too, which I take to be Alert, NWT or>maybe Thule Greenland. Might be a little cold this time of>year up there.Oh, I figured you knew them all since you were on that tour. I think you said you hit SPRF (highest) already. NZPG is the southern-most badge -- although there is a snow strip at the pole itself. CYLT is the northern-most. I haven't researched it yet, so I don't know if I'll be just popping in there with the Lear or it'll need something a little less fancy.>You know LVGZ Gaza airport is closed...Israel cratered it last>year. I mean cratered it...with cluster bombs. I don't know>of any scenery that duplicates this though. :)Ahhh... I think I remember hearing that, but I didn't make the connection. Hmmm... thanks. It'd be pretty annoying to have the runway cratered just before arriving on fumes. I'm sure that's precisely the reason why you're supposed to have a safety reserve. Maybe I shall re-evaluate that leg just to stay closer to reality. Thanks for the heads-up.>I actually flew the default 747 to Easter Island and back to>Peru.I noted that SCIP's runway was industrial strength. I can't believe that's for transporting tourists. I wonder if it's for freight to resupply the island, or because they had spare land and decided paving it over would raise the property value.>I will probably fly the Twin Comanche into LLMZ...I haven't looked at the Twin Comanche. It's name is enough to make me go take a peek.-- Keith

Guest kburgoyne

Somebody said there was a regular tourist route starting during the warm months. They didn't remember a lot of the details, but they thought they remembered it was using a regular commercial jet and a paved runway. The "paved runway" comment made me think it was one of the airstrips below South America, but I'm not at all sure.-- Keith

>>I noted that SCIP's runway was industrial strength. I can't>believe that's for transporting tourists. I wonder if it's>for freight to resupply the island, or because they had spare>land and decided paving it over would raise the property>value.>SCIP's runway is so big because Easter Island is so far from anything...the runway has to be large to handle the big aircraft needed to fly such long distances.LAN Chile flies A330's there, and possibly 767-300ER's but I'm not sure about that.The default SCIP scenery is so inaccurate, I thought about fixing that airport a little. It's in a neat location, with that hill to the south if I remember right.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I think the A320 to Antarctica was a test routing, to see if a large commercial jetliner could do it from Australia. I think it was an ice/snow runway. Apparently the flight went off without a hitch.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest LtRob

Fuel? Fuel? We gotchur fuel riiiiiiight here! There is plenty o' JP-8 at Willy Field. They have a pipe system that pumps it over from McMurdo Station on Ross Island to refill the seven or so JP-8 tanks at Willie. Pegasus has fuel, too, but its so far out on the permanent ice shelf that they truck it out there, so they don't like to fill 17s or 5s there. They can suck the fuel. But for a few thousand pounds in a Lear, go for it! So, don't worry about gas. We gotchur gas! As far as birds go to operate Pegasus, any C-130 will work. The USAF did a season or two or round-robin runs between Christchurch, NZ (NZCH) and Pegasus a few years back, and the Italians and Kiwi's both operate their Hercs to there as well. I recall a Mike Stone LC-130, and of course Alphasim has one as well. I can't really recommend the Captain Sim one, as it really doesn't operate that well, IMHO. Sure the CS Herc looks good, but fly? I'm not impressed at all.There were some generic Willie, Pegasus, and Ice runway sceneries out there for FS02 and FS04, but I haven't looked for FSX. Once I get into scenery design I want to create my own from my memory and photos I've taken over the years.

>Was that using FSX? If so, who's C17 did you use? Since the>default FSX aircraft are "inappropriate", I'm interest in>which add-on aircraft people have used that are compatible>with FSX.It was a C-17 Globemaster out of Charleston AFB in the Avsim Library. FSX Version. I did replace the panel with the one from the C-141 starlifter and added the radar window and icon to it using the ATC radar in FSX.

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

Guest kburgoyne

>It was a C-17 Globemaster out of Charleston AFB in the Avsim>Library. FSX Version. I did replace the panel with the one>from the C-141 starlifter and added the radar window and icon>to it using the ATC radar in FSX.Great. Thanks. I'll take a look at it. Not sure I'm willing to pursue the side venture of all the modifications, but I'll definitely take a look at the base aircraft.In research for landing at NZPG, I've been making recent tests of the reverse thrust on the Lear during my normal landings while flying around. I've been seeing how well the Lear will slow without using the brakes. It's not very promising.I don't know whether FSX simply doesn't emulate the Lear's reverse thrust properly, or whether the real plane's design only intended the reverse thrust as a partial suppliment to the brakes. The later might be a reasonable expectation since they didn't design the jet for extraordinary situations.Based on these tests, I'm not taking the Lear into NZPG or NZIR. Something that can land slower and/or has serious reverse thrust will be the order of the day.

How about an F-18 with an inflight refeuling?My Two Cents,http://www.my-buddy-icon.com/Icons/objects/red_3d_plane.gifAlex ChristoffN562ZBaltimore, MD

PowerSpec G426 PC running Windows 11 Pro 64-bit OS, Intel Core i7-6700K processor @3.5GHz, ASUS GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual Graphics Card, ASUS TUF Z590-Plus Gaming motherboard, Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD, Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD, Acer Predator X34 34" curved monitor (external view), RealSim Gear G-1000 avionics hardware, Slavix, Stay Level Custom Metal Panel, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Redbird Alloy THI, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.