Sign in to follow this  
toriu

Add Ons for FSX

Guest theGASH

Anyone have a list of recommended ad ons for FSX? Seems like there's nearly an unlimited amount of stuff out there, but hard to separate the good from the bad.Also, it seems like most 3rd party aircraft seem to really bring down framerates - is this inevitable?

Depends on what you are looking for.For weather you have several options:ASX (weather Engine) and Xgraphics (cloud, sky, road, sun, sky textures) by hifi simulation.FEX for sky, cloud and water textures. Higher res than Xgraphics but is compatible with the above.Terrain:FS genesis mesh (more detailed elevation) and landclassor sceneryTech landclass.Ground Textures:GEXGround object placement:Ultimate Terrain X. Places water, roads etc.. with better accuracy.Aircraft all SP2 compatible:Eaglesoft Twin Comanche...piston twin, excellent on frames and wonderful to fly.Digital Aviation Cheyenne...turboprop twin, another excellent package and frame rate friendly.RealAir Scout package and SF260...excellent flight models and wonderful package for the ga pilot.As far as the heavies, I only have the PIC 737, it's not SP2 compatible although it does run in SP2.The 747 PMDG I do not own but PMDG products are the cream of the crop for Airline simulation.ATC:Radar Contact....excellent for IFR ATC....use a menu to communicate.VOXATC...voice recognition and works well with IFR and VFR.Flightplanning:FSBuild...IFR flightplanner....FSX compatible.FSCommander....another flightplanner, different options.Probably missing a boat load, but these are what I use. You're best option is to peruse the forums for the type of add-on you want. Look at reviews and posts to get a general idea of what to get and what not to get.

Guest fsxmissionguy

And of course, don't forget ... Acceleration!Adds 41 missions, 2 aircraft, a helicopter and extends FSX to include Carrier operations (takeoff assist and arrested landings), structured multi-player racing and hoist and winch capabilities for helicopter operations.It's must have, and is one of the less expensive add-ons available.

A good place to go is right here at Avsim.com and start reading their reviews. Lately they have been covering a lot of the new FSX stuff.Lee

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

I recommend the Shockwave P-40 if you want the best warbird available, or the RealAir SF260 for the best all around aircraft available. The RealAir Citabria package is also one of the best. The Acceleration pack is the best value in the flight sim industry, so its a must have if you ask me, specially if you want the best fighter jet available.The Captain Sim C-130 is the best big military aircraft I have seen. So I say go for the best and you can't go wrong!

I would definitely back these(in no particular order):-Shockwave P-40 (best WWII fighter I've seen for a sim)-AlphaSim F-86 (Very nice plane with many great free liveries)-Flight1 PC-12 (Best turboprop I've flown)-PMDG 747X (Best FS addon EVER imho)-Ultimate Terrain X and Ground environment X if you live in the USA(also a Canada and Alaska version of UTX if you live there)-If not UTX or GEX, the FSGenesis USA landclass is really nice too-Aerosoft Beaver X (great all-around plane) and Twin Otter (once released)

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

Ok my aircraft recommendation are above, but as to scenery, again I will only name what to me is the best. Top of the list for me is the Vancouver+ package. Its buy far the best non-photoscenery package I have seen. The coverage area is absolutly huge, and looks absolutly stunning. If you are into mountian and bush flying I doubt there is anything better. From the same developers you can get the freeware Bella Coola scenery from the library, which is also spectacular, and the best freeware scenery package I have seen. It gives a taste of the Vancouver+ style, but only a taste. My other recommendation is Megascenery Hawaii, combined with the Dillingham Airport scenery from Aerosoft. You can get both for less than $35, and along with the freeware 10m mesh and Manny's freeware packages it makes the most detailed photo scenery enviornment available for FSX. Its a good one to get as others will no doubt create content for this area, given its popularity.

>The Acceleration pack is the best value in the flight sim>industry, so its a must have if you ask me, specially if you>want the best fighter jet available.>>The Captain Sim C-130 is the best big military aircraft I have>seen. DITTO!

Guest theGASH

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.I actually already have acceleration and it is good. I don't really like flying fighter jets in FSX though because it's no fun that you can't shoot anything down. I stick to Falcon 4.0 allied force for my military simming. It's a shame that there are really no good military sims being made any more, it would be amazing what could be done on modern hardware...but I digress.

Have a look at the RealAir SF260 Marchetti (www.realairsimulations.com)Is is both a military trainer and a fabulous all-round aircraft.Number one on my list of add-ons for FSX.

Bert