Sign in to follow this  
tcgeo

Anyone know how to turn off AVG 7.5 Anti virus free version?

My computer guy installed AVG free version on my new system.Says he swears by it and would not use Norton's which I had thru AT&T.He says it is not using much CPU and according to Task MGR I think he is right.Just wondered if there is a way to shut it off when running FS.Thanks,Ron

Bring back Chief Illiniwek!University of Illinois.

Jim,What do you mean?I shouldn't be using AVG?Ron

Hi Ron,I'm at work now so going from memory (I have AVG at home and love it):Double click on the AVG icon. You will get a menu of the different components of AVG, the one that you want is the virus Scanner from memory. You will see check box that you can un-check to disable the scan, and when you do it will turn the icon into a monochrome picture, and also you should see the WinXP security alert that you are not now protected.I recall the AVG will restore if the PC is rebooted, however if you don't shut down after an FS session then be sure to restore the scanner. As in all things involving internet security, do this at your own risk :) , a jerky FS is much preferable to an infected PC!Bruce.

Bruce,Thanks for the reply.When I double click I get a list of 7 functions with check mark in green boxes.However,when I click on the box it just brings up another window with a couple options but none to disable the anti-virus.I have been all over this program and cannot find anywhere to disable it.It is Ver 7.5.516.Ron

Bruce,Quick update.The only task I can deactivate by right clicking on it is the Shell Extension.Then I get the security alert.This is a new system.I know on my old system with AT&T Norton's I needed to turn off Anti Viru or my loading times in FS were way too long.I am not having that problem with AVG on new system so maybe I don't need to worry about it?Thanks,Ron

Ok,I do have ASX and Xgraphics.Ron

You can probably stop using FS Autostart, by Ken Salter, and available from the Avsim library. If not - do it through Start->Run->msconfig, or through CtrlPanel->Services.fsasv1111.zipYup; AVG is a great freeware av app: same with Avast.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Right click the AVG icon in the tray and launch AVG Control Center.In AVG Control Center window, double click the component Resident Shield.In the Resident Shield properties dialog, uncheck the first option. Its called: Turn on AVG Free Resident Shield protection.Click OK.The AVG tray icon turn monochrome and Windows XP complains about the security risk ..The Resident Shield component scans files on access. Whenever FSX loads some file, AVG checks if it is still ok. In theory, turning off that scan should improve I/O performance, however I didnt noticed any significant effect on FSX or other applications.

Thanks,that's the info I need.Ron