Sign in to follow this  
RFields5421

Run As Administrator?

Guest RichardL

Anyone know the significance of launching FSX with "Run As Administrator"?I'm using Vista64. I have Adminsitrator privledges. If I right click on the FSX icon on the desktop, there is a entry that say "Run As Administrator".Why would one need to use this?Regards,Richard

If an application refuses to run under Vista, it's usually because of insufficient user permisions. When you right click on the application and select "Run as administrator", you're allowing it to run once without the need for full administrative privledges.Regards,Jim Karn

Guest Bob Huntley

It shouldn't be necessary for correctly installed FSX, but my system threw a wobly a few months ago and now I have to use "Run As Administrator" to get it working. I understand that that by default FSX should be able to write to its own directory (to update configuration files etc.), but for some reason my system has stopped permitting this if I just run the program. Its only allowed to write to my own User directory (for files like FSX.cfg), which isn't enough to allow the program to start properly - it always aborts a few seconds into the start process. The Run As Admin option gives it extra rights and allows it to make these writes. In my case its a bit of a cludge, but allows FSX to start up and run normally. PS - Anyone know of a way I can correct my system. I've tried deleting and re-installing FSX but this doesn't fixing the security issue.PPS - My wobly was caused by a problem with Norton IS2007. I had to restore an outdated Acronis disk image of my C: drive, which resulted in a FSX SP1 Registry etc. on C: drive, and an Acceleration/SP2 set of FSX files in my games directory on D:. Needless to say, the two didn't get on well together.

Guest RichardL

Mine popped up when I was installing FSUIPC. The FSUIPC program (?) said I had to start FSX via Run As Administrator. This only happened once, I did as told, and haven't had any problems launching with the desktop icon.I was just curious about the request.Regards,Richard

FSX doesn't add that option, Vista puts that option on all shortcuts.

>PS - Anyone know of a way I can correct my system. I've tried>deleting and re-installing FSX but this doesn't fixing the>security issue.In Windows Explorer, right click on any major folder name, then select the Properties option.With the Properties dialog open, select the Security tab and set Permissions for you to use the folder. You may wish to click on Advanced and apply those same Permissions to all files and subfolders.Do this for every major folder to which you wish full access at all times.It's a major PITA, but once done - it's done! ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

The basic difference is there are two administrator levels in Vista as opposed to XP.The administrators group does not have the full rights to the computer like the XP administrators group.There is a disabled Administrator account with almost full rights as the XP accounts in the business and domain versions Vista - but not in the Home versions.The Run As Administrator option does help make many programs run with the security levels necessary to make the proper modifications.A third issue is that most install programs - especially those which use the Windows Installer standard - install the program and files as 'owned' by the system - not by your ID.A fourth issue is that system folders - such as Program Files - have additional restrictions.I most strongly recommend that someone activate and rename the Administrator account and use it for their main install account if they have a version of Vista with that capacity.Also never install a non-Vista program like FSX in the Program Files folder. Create a separate folder outside Program Files - such as C:MicrosoftGamesLike Bill noted above - you will have to set a folder and all sub-folders to give your id full control.