Sign in to follow this  
Guest thx1137

Am I the only one who flies mostly from external views?

Seems like most fly exlcusively from the VC, and I've even recieved the impression some look down on those who don't fly "by the rules" as if they were an actual pilot. For me the VC is very immersive, but I normally have a lot more fun in external views, and most of the time fly in spot or my custom fixed tail view. I just fly for fun, and I make no attempt to fly according any real life aviation rules or standards, as you can noramlly find me weaving between trees or doing fancy terrain masking moves and aerobatics. I simply love the new fixed views, as it finally lets me fly from a fixed tail cam, which I add to neary every aircraft, so thanks to the ACES team for finally adding them!If anybody wants to try it here's my tail cam that I add to nearly everything. Its a ton of fun to buzz trees and stuff from this view, and it looks pretty sweet when you zoom out quite a bit. http://sio.midco.net/FTP4/posterstock1a.jpghttp://sio.midco.net/FTP4/posterstock2.jpg[CameraDefinition.0]Title = "Tail"Guid = {5c1df273-034b-4e7f-953a-9d5e26f1646c}Description = Looking forward from behind the aircraftOrigin = CenterSnapPbhAdjust = SwivelSnapPbhReturn = FALSEPanPbhAdjust = SwivelPanPbhReturn = FALSETrack = NoneShowAxis = FALSEAllowZoom = TRUEInitialZoom = .75ShowWeather = YesInitialXyz = 0, 3.5, -18.0InitialPbh = 10, 0, 0XyzAdjust = TRUECategory=AircraftMomentumEffect=TRUEClipMode=Minimum

I love external views and find myself, once in the air, spending more time out than in. I'm obviously no purest and don't care if it's 'looked down on' to be honest. It's the best way to explore some of the stunning scenery available, so each to their own.

Guest fsxmissionguy

Ya, I have to agree. There's absolutely nothing wrong with enjoying the world in Flight Simulator this way (for myself, I tend to be a VC-only kind of guy, but mainly because I want that practice.)The FSX world created by ACES is stunning compared to previous versions. With add-ons like Ground Environment X, enhanced terrain mesh and a FEX-type addon, it's even more beautiful. And ACES has spent a lot of time making sure you have a lot of ways in which to view that world.One of the things I like about the approach to Flight Simulator that is taken by the folks at ACES Studios is that they truly, I think, believe that they should not "dictate" how people use the simulator.They've also created it in such a way that it can be extended both horizontally (GEX) and vertically (LevelD).I've been amazed at what can be done with it given this philosophy. Some very creative people do things I bet even ACES didn't imagine when they released FSX.

Yup, love the sandbox elements of the sim, especially the view systems in FSX. Here's an example of a pretty common 'view' situation for me when making one of my fsx films:Flying in multiplayer, with no aircraft model at all (thanks missing W key function! :)), no effects, no lights, no gauges, or engine sounds, in formation with a couple of friends, looking backwards filming them beneath and behind me, in cloud, and waiting for them to tell me I'm going to fly into a mountain. That warning always comes a second too late of course, much to their pleasure. ;)Let me tell you, after a few days of that stuff, an actual VC seems like a nice relaxing vacation!-mike

Mike Johnson - Lotus Simulations

Guest fsxmissionguy

I bet ACES didn't anticipate anyone would ever want to do that, Hal, but the important thing for the developers to keep in mind is that they cannot predict how we will utilize this sim, and we will invent ways to use it that they can't ever dream of."Nobody would ever want to do that" should be a huge red flag comment for all developers. Because not only will someone want to do it, somebody else will absolutely NEED to do it to get their job done.The folks who think FSX is a game are not paying attention to how the sim is used in real life, and in ways ACES never dreamed of (but are now thinking of, as evidenced by the new platform version.)

>Seems like most fly exlcusively from the VC, and I've even>recieved the impression some look down on those who don't fly>"by the rules" as if they were an actual pilot. >VC's and 2D cockpits are still limited as to the complete field of vision in real life anyway....Therefore, I probably use external views at least half the time; and VC's the other 49.5%.L.Adamson

Guest RonB49

I use spot view for Taxi and sight-seeing and it is the ONLY way to demonstrate flt sim to friends. We may enjoy staring at an instrument panel for a few hours but most people find it as exciting as watching golf on TV.R-PS -- I love watching golf on TV too. R-

Guest Lith1um

Solar, I'm curious if have you ever experienced TrackIR?It removes most of the limitations of the VC, making viewing the area around you very natural and immersive. Not trying to sway you, just curious.

I can only use spot view to admire the a/c, or on taxi, or to line up at a gate. It's not that I haven't tried to fly externally...In fact I can't even fly an aircraft properly in spot view. I have trouble controlling it that way. !!RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

...and I am one who rarely if ever uses the outside view-and wish the inside view was done to the same accuracy/beauty/detail as the outside.However just goes to show-we all use the sim differently-and quite wonderful that this sim can be made to be just about everything to everyone! :-)http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpgMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

>"Nobody would ever want to do that" should be a huge red flag>comment for all developers. Because not only will someone want>to do it, somebody else will absolutely NEED to do it to get>their job done.>LOL!*Many* years ago I wrote a DOS version of Lunar Lander. Checked it out six ways from Sunday and it worked like a champ. Was very tough and if you ran out of fuel, you died.Worked fine until some bozo input a negative fuel burn and it added back the fuel!Didn't think anyone would do that so I never checked the effect in the program logic.Y'live and learn. NEVER made that mistake again in any program I wrote. Had a friend who was my destructive tester - if there was a way to screw up a computer program, he'd find it.VicQ6600 G0 CPU 2.4 o/c 3.65Evga 680i A1 with P31 BIOS 2G XP2-8500 DDR2 1066FSB Mushkin 996535 RAM 5-5-4-12-2T320G 7200 HD partitioned for XP/Vista/Programs 2 - 74G Raptors in RAID0 500G 7200 HD for backup SATA DVD burner Evga 8800GTS 640 PCIx 169.13 betaKandalf LCS case w/ built in liquid cooling 850W Thermaltake power supplyVisit the Virtual Pilot's Centerwww.flightadventures.comhttp://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-supporter-sigbanner.jpg

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Guest fsxmissionguy

So that was YOU!I have to tell you, one of my former employers is STILL trying to figure out who stole all those manhours lost to Lunar Lander.

Even though the scenery is the main reason why I sim (hey, it's a living...) I almost always use the VC, and sometimes the 2D cockpit. This really goes back to car racing games (which I play now and then) on the Xbox -- they normally have a couple of outside views and a couple of 'cockpit' views. I've never been able to get used to the idea of steering my car from a floating viewpoint behind -- it is like controlling the car in front of you. However choosing the right cockpit view gives you the same precise control you have in real driving.However my kids, who don't drive for real, always use external views. I'm forever having the switch it back at the beginning of a race.One thing which helps immensely is TrackIR -- in the sim, not the Xbox, although I could certainly see the benefit of using it in racing games.-RobinGodzone Virtual Flight, for 'Real New Zealand' sceneryhttp://www.windowlight.co.nz

Guest jshyluk

Oh, yeah, TrackIR for racing games totally rules! You can make those quick shoulder checks and it's easier to guage the distance between your fender and your next collision.I used to be an avowed 2D panel guy, but with the TrackIR, I prefer the VC. I do like looking at external views, but I will usually pause the sim to do so unless there's an animation on the aircraft I want to see. TrackIR gives you Z-axis tilt, which can make for more dramatic screenshots in external view.Of course, there's mostly nothing wrong with flying FSX the way you want to. I guess I do draw the line at using Flight Sim to try to model crashes, things like suicide runs, or use mods that add detailed crash effects. I find that kind of stuff distasteful. Even then, though, I don't think I would go (far) out of my way to say, "you shouldn't be doing that!" I've flown my share of jumbo jets inverted underneath bridges.Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

>In fact I can't even fly an aircraft properly in spot view. I>have trouble controlling it that way. !!>I flew R/C for years, and may again. It's only natural to fly from spot view! :-hah L.Adamson