Sign in to follow this  

Best freeware anti-virus?

I have been using AVG for a few years with no problems, but lately its Outlook extension creates errors upon downloading email. Any suggestions for a freeware OR payware AV program that has a very small footprint?Thank you kindly for your replies,Noel

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

There's a lot of opinion on this matter. Doing a forum search would be a good thing to do. In my opinion, for a small footprint and effectiveness, my choice is NOD32. You can find out more here: http://www.eset.com/

Guest Phantoms

Though not freeware, NOD32 is the AV of choice on most tech forums. Very small footprint and effective.

Guest kilotango

Just you keep on with avg. Dont get the new oe 7. It mess up a lot with antivirus programs.Get firefox with addons and you are running perfect.

Guest neslesman

Hasn't AVG gone payware only effective next month?I've been so pleased with two years of free AVG that I just sprung for two years of their payware antivirus and antispyware for 44.95 Canadian $. I too would like to find a freeware program though for my second seldom used computer. The license from AVG is for one computer only so any useful suggstions would be appreciated here as well.

Guest kilotango

It has not. Just you download the new version from www.grisoft.com.Its called 7.5. It's free, but the old will be determinated in a few days.

Guest neslesman

Thanks kilotango, I was under the impression they were phasing out the freeware product. I think they wanted us to think so anyway.

I switched from AVG to Avast! over a year ago and haven't looked back since.

And another vote for Avast.When I was using AVG I had more 'trojans' than I ever had before.

Dave Taylor gb.png

Guest ThrottleUp

AVG is great!Also there is another freeware anti-virus:http://www.free-av.com/Without a doubt the payware heavyweights like NOD32, Norton, McAffee, Kapersky etc will offer more than freeware but that said I have been using freeware antivirus & anti malware products for years with no problems at all.And I also highly recommend the freeware AVG Anti-Spyware:http://free.grisoft.com/doc/20/lng/us/tpl/v5After 30 days the Resident Sheild is disable but apart from that the software remains *fully functional* and free, with free updates. Used in conjunction with Spybot, AdAware & Spyware Blaster its very capable.

Guest Ozzie

This is actually a very good topic - I too have been using AVG for a few years (and have recently downloaded but not yet installed the new 7.5 FREEWARE Ver)But I have an old clunker (still useful) that I need a freeware AV that will still work under 98SE - does such an animal exist? - and how do I disentangle Norton 2002 out of it?

I have recently found both the older and the newer versions of AVG Free to be about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. I had it installed for years, it did daily updates and scans, and most of the time found nothing, so I thought I was safe.After more research, I found the best does not come free, the best seem to be NOD32 and Kaspersky and they both have small footprints.I recently found this give away by Kaspersky and a free 1 year license, this is not a crippled program like AVG free, its small download and they will send you a 1 year license, this one is sponsored by AOL, but don't worry, you don't have to be a customer of theirs and I don't see any AOL advertising prominence in the final program.This is a free 1 year license for a far better anti virus program than AVG free, it also found 2 Trojans and several problems on my comp AVG free was blissfully unaware of.http://blog.adglobe.net/2006/08/08/free-an...e-virus-shield/