Sign in to follow this  
greggerm

SP2 or SP1 Question

Is there any benefit to stay with SP2 at this point? I have Ultimate Traffic installed and noticed that the landing lights on the AI make the AI look like a comet is about to hit the runway. I also want to add some add on airports from Imaginesim but it to has lighting problems when in SP2. I have emailed them about this and they have confirmed it to be a SP2 bug. Is there any real performace increase in SP2 or has anybody tested this. I dont recall seeing any after installing SP2. Also can I just uninstall SP2 in the windows control panel, or do I need to reinstall from scratch. Thanks

Jim Wenham

SP2 removed some backward compatibility, which is what will happen in next flight sim. And yes if you want to purchase any addons you will need to stay with SP2. It will take some time for the developers to replace all the old textures and relese the SP2 version so you will just have to be patient with the rest of us. Oh and its not actually a bug, a bug is something that happens by accident this was done on purpose, but hopefully without the backward compatibility we will have a better sim.

I have SP2 (read: NOT Acceleration) and a bunch of addons and have 0 problems whatsoever.

>I have SP2 (read: NOT Acceleration) and a bunch of addons and>have 0 problems whatsoever.Which ones. The only add on I have seen no problems with so far is FDC Live Cockpit. All the problems I see in the others are all related to some kind of lighting problem.

Jim Wenham

>I have emailed them about this and they have confirmed it to be a SP2>bug.What they should have said is that their package isn't compatible with SP2. It's not a bug, but an incompatibility.Yes - Keep SP2. After SP2 was installed, I "reset" all my config file tweaks, all my crazy settings, and just flew normally - I got good performance, good experiences, and stable systems. No more tweaking needed! Also, SP2 is the new and final benchmark that developers will be using to code for FSX. They will not code for the original retail version or the SP1 version, but rather for the Acceleration/SP2 level. Recommendation: Keep!-Greg

Guest diddydaddy

This is terribe advice.Have you tried using Imaginesim airports with SP2? Even they are now advising their customers not to use SP2. Ditch SP2. Use SP1 and everything works perfectly.Martin

SP2 has updated - fixed models of the default aircraft, it fixes hundreds of bugs in FSX.I'm sorry - saying ditch SP2 is like saying to ditch the FS2004 9.1 update, or to ditch SP2 for XP.There may be some issues today but they are very minor. In a few months you will regret the decision.

Guest diddydaddy

Why's that? Is something special happening in a few months? In the meantime we won't be able to use the stuff we've bought now. If something is happening in a few months then I would have though it would be wiser to use SP1 until then?Martin

Some stay with the past and some go with the future.Since sp2 is free one has choice, and users will make the choice that makes the most sense for them.I don't have a single add on that doesn't work with sp2 -I do have a few that will not work without sp2 though. As time goes by that will be more the norm than the other way around.http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpgMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

I did a complete re-install of FSX, SP1 and SP2 (via Acceleration) when Acceleration came out. That probably eliminated many SP2 problems. Plus, I have not gone to Vista which also eliminated many frustrations. :)All of my add on planes work, with a huge variance in FPS performance. Bob..

>Plus, I have not gone to Vista>which also eliminated many frustrations. :)If you have not gone to Vista, how would you know it eliminated many frustrations?? lolI have been on Vista with FSX since Vista's release and have absolutely no issues or "frustrations".Sorry, but these type of statements never cease to amaze me.

Same here on Vista. I did have a few problems early on with buggy drivers from nvidia but now none-I'd even say more stable than xp that I have on my 4 other machines. One small thing I really like-when you do have a problem and it sends those mysterious reports to Microsoft-you actually get a reply back telling you what the problem was and where to go to fix it! :-lolOne should read the quote Koroush Ghazi-an expert on all operating systems(www.tweakguides.com): states in his introduction on Vista on page 12. I'd quote it but don't want to violate copyrights.http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpgMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

>>Plus, I have not gone to Vista>>which also eliminated many frustrations. :)>>If you have not gone to Vista, how would you know it>eliminated many frustrations?? lol>>I have been on Vista with FSX since Vista's release and have>absolutely no issues or "frustrations".>>Sorry, but these type of statements never cease to amaze me.Dear Lucky,:)Your right, I based my decision on bazillions (Avogadro's number x 10.2) of driver issues, registration error's, re-installation errors, incompatibilities, confusion and frustration when Vista was introduced. And there are STILL many posts involving Vista. I'm glad you missed it. I don't use it now because my computer does not have the hardware to run it and I use FS9 30 percent of time. This is getting silly that ANY individuals experience implying Vista or FSX is less than stellar attacks an immediate rebuttal of amazement.Bob..

Guest diddydaddy

I'm beginning to wonder that there is a hardcore of fanatical Vista and/or FSX enthusiasts that refuse to countenance that anything is ever wrong, ever with either/both!! I have had some issues with FSX+SP2 these last few days and during my attempts to resolve them I came up against a few brick walls, and it's been a hard job to find anything much out. Most of the time I have got embroiled in technical arguments that as a 'simple' simmer I don't really have any understanding of. I think the only advice I have found useful has been "use SP2 if it works for you, if not go then go back to SP1".As an airline simmer using airports by all the major developers I have found that in all cases FSX+SP1 works perfectly.Martin