Sign in to follow this  
Guest Shalomar

confession time

Hi allI've been reading alot of interesting posts lately. Posts about the woes of third party developers, and are you a real simmer if you like to fly in spot view. So time for someone else to chime in and give another view on this hobby.I've only been doing this FS thing for maybe 2 years or so. My wife was out of the country for two weeks, so naturaly I went out and bought FS9. I don't own or play any other computer games, which makes it so much more strange. Well, two things happened: first, I was hooked. I knew nothing about planes, or airports, or computer games, or even reader forums(still don't), but I was hooked. Second: I was bit by the "upgrade Bug". It has been a long love/hate road since then, as you all know. Upgraded to a P4 HT ati 9550; could start to turn on most of FS9. FSX, forget it. Bought a $350 Vista Home Basic Compaq(I heard that groan out there). So then I had two computers that didn't run FS9 as well as I wanted. I have just finished my second upgrade of the Vista computer, and my latest 3dmark05 score was 16458,and the last 3dmark06 score was 10943. That just means that I can finally run FSX, mostly OK. I have done some serious upgrades, I fly every day, I read these forums every day, so I think it's OK for me to voice an opinion. Here goes.I upgraded the Vista machine because like it or not,Vista is the future. Might as well get in on the groung floor and figure out how to make it work. I don't mind a challenge(heck, I fly FSX). With the exception of a few freeware planes, I fly no addons...none...zip. Not JUST because I'm cheep, but my intrest doesn't go there. No scenery, no planes. In the 4 or 5 months I've flown FSX, I have yet to try a mission, or a multi player game. What I love to do is build airports. Not update stock airports, but build new ones. Plus I love to repaint planes in the colors of my own virtual airline, and watch them fly in and out of my airports. I think it's great fun to hear atc call out my planes. Well, of course I fly my airports, too. I did alot with FS9, but all that has changed with FSX. Not all the tools are there, yet.I run both SP1 and SP2,and both SDK updates, because that's the way to go. I can't say that I get that much better performance with them as some claim, but they are the sim now. In fact, the only tweek that has ever helped me was to lay down a little serious cash for hardware.Anyway, just another perspective.Bobspecs, if this helps anyone.C2D 6750, ECS MB 1333 FSB, 2GB 667 RAM, EVEA 8800gt,430w thermaltake ,stupid 17 inch CRT.

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

Guest Shalomar

Welcome to Avsim and our collective hobby!!! In the end, it is all about what you enjoy. After all, the most "realistic" simmer is just watching electrons dance across a screen.I notice ever since I got into multiplayer and missions that I don't do as many long hauls as I used to, and far fewer starts from cold and dark. Multiplayer has spoiled me for solo flight in FSX, my offline flying is in FS9 where I can crank up the traffic.Keep it up as long as it's fun!Best Regards, Donald T. :-waveFLYing? It's cool. Trillions of birds and insects can't be wrong.