Sign in to follow this  
Bert Pieke

Not sure what to do!

Guest kingairvols

I have FSX still in the box after un-install. As you see at the end here I use 3 monitors with FS9. I would like to do the same as I am ready to buy a new PC in order to better run FSX along with Dir X 10 (I think I have stated this correct).As I see all the folks with the newer PC's I see alot of dual type V cards. Basically I am so confussed as to what direction to head in with a new gamming desktop system. The more I look at the areas here (like hardware ect...) the more I am confussed.I tried calling Dell to inquire then realized I did not even have the correct terms down in order to ask informative questions.Thus I stay with the PC as listed below on FS9 and the new (FSX) in a box on the self.I realize I am opening myself up for potential hurtful comments, however, I do belive that if you are a stright shooter up front you have the best chance for a positive outcome. Thank you.Mark.OS:MS Windows XP Professional, Ver 2002 Service Pack 2 Hardware:Intel Pentium® 4 CPU 2.802.84 GHz, 2.00 GB of RAM GeForce 7800GS 256 MB w/ DDR3 running a 21/19.6 Sony Flat Screen Tubed Monitorand a,GeForce FX 5200 128MB 17/16 NEC/Mitsubishi Tubed MonitorGeForce FX 5200 128MB NEC/Mitsubishi 18 Flat Panel.

To a large degree, the answer lies with just what you want to display on those three monitors.If you want to use them as if they were a single, wide display of the virtual cockpit, under FSX you'd be best off using a single video output and the new Triplehead2Go box to drive them.http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/gxm/prod...igital/home.phpIf you want to use them to display seperate, undocked windows (such as popups on the left, FSInn on the right, FSX in the center, then seperate video outputs to each monitor is likely the better choice.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

First of all, it would seem to me that you could run two monitors off the 7800 card and one monitor off one FX5200... ;-)For what it is worth, I ran a similar config for FS9 (one monitor though) and found that FSX was sluggish and blurry.If you were to go to a Q6600, 2GB PC400 RAM and an 8800GT card with 512M video memory for the first two monitors, you may well be able to use one of the FX5200 cards (PCI I assume)for the third monitor.

Bert

Guest kingairvols

Bert,Thanks for the ideas. Yes, I have removed the 3rd V card (5200) thus running (what I call monitors 1 and 2, first two listed below in specs)off the 7800 and the 3 rd monitor off the lone 5200. In FS9 I like to place a spot view on the main monitor, the panel (undocked) on the second and one the 3rd FSNav or GPS. With the PMDG 1900C you reviewed the panel on the second monitor is reall cool as far as I am concerned. Nice plane and also thanks for your help with the yoke add on you helpped me with several yrs ago. Yea I had FSX on my second hard drive but never got any good FPM thus uninstalled. Thus the confussion I am and having with a new PC purchase. Thank you.Mark.OS:MS Windows XP Professional, Ver 2002 Service Pack 2 Hardware:Intel Pentium® 4 CPU 2.802.84 GHz, 2.00 GB of RAM GeForce 7800GS 256 MB w/ DDR3 running a 21/19.6 Sony Flat Screen Tubed Monitorand a,GeForce FX 5200 128MB 17/16 NEC/Mitsubishi Tubed MonitorGeForce FX 5200 128MB NEC/Mitsubishi 18 Flat Panel.

You are very welcome !For what it is worth, I now do have the config I recommended (although the new 8800GT was not out yet). FSX runs quite well on the new system, but I, like many others, am still happily on WindowsXP and DX9.

Bert

Guest kingairvols

Bert,Thanks. I sent you an e-mail (I think I got it to you) it looked as if it wnet thru the Avsim path to get to you. I hope it worked ok.P.s. How do I know for sure my present system has DX9, I asume (I know) it has to for FS9 to run. Thank you.Mark.OS:MS Windows XP Professional, Ver 2002 Service Pack 2 Hardware:Intel Pentium® 4 CPU 2.802.84 GHz, 2.00 GB of RAM GeForce 7800GS 256 MB w/ DDR3 running a 21/19.6 Sony Flat Screen Tubed Monitorand a,GeForce FX 5200 128MB 17/16 NEC/Mitsubishi Tubed MonitorGeForce FX 5200 128MB NEC/Mitsubishi 18 Flat Panel.

Guest kingairvols

Bert,Also I went to EVGA.com to check out the 8800 GT but there were 4 or 5 GT's any preference IE.. super cloked and I am not sure of the DX10open ect...?Thank you.Mark.OS:MS Windows XP Professional, Ver 2002 Service Pack 2 Hardware:Intel Pentium® 4 CPU 2.802.84 GHz, 2.00 GB of RAM GeForce 7800GS 256 MB w/ DDR3 running a 21/19.6 Sony Flat Screen Tubed Monitorand a,GeForce FX 5200 128MB 17/16 NEC/Mitsubishi Tubed MonitorGeForce FX 5200 128MB NEC/Mitsubishi 18 Flat Panel.

I replied to your e-mail. Regarding video cards, any new 8800GT card with 512 MB of video memory will be fine.. no need to go to super clocked etc.Unless you get Vista and are determined to try the DX10 preview, there is currently no need to consider DX10 for FS. DX9 is on your system if you are running FS9. You can also run Dxdiag from the Run command on the Start menu. That will tell you what is installed.FSX will also install the latest DX9 version if you do not already have it.

Bert

Guest kingairvols

If you have the time could you comment on the deal with DX10. I am confussed as I thoght (for what ever reason) that Vista and DX10 was the direction to go. I guess I will have Vista (I think Primuim is the version) installed on the upcomming system. Agian, I have no real reason for assuming that I need it but figure that its here to stay and mind well learn how to use it.I am sorry for the extra request of info but reall appreciate your time and your willingness to share. Thank you.Mark.OS:MS Windows XP Professional, Ver 2002 Service Pack 2 Hardware:Intel Pentium® 4 CPU 2.802.84 GHz, 2.00 GB of RAM GeForce 7800GS 256 MB w/ DDR3 running a 21/19.6 Sony Flat Screen Tubed Monitorand a,GeForce FX 5200 128MB 17/16 NEC/Mitsubishi Tubed MonitorGeForce FX 5200 128MB NEC/Mitsubishi 18 Flat Panel.

I'm sure there are many happy Vista FSX users, but nothing I have seen has convinced me that it is worth taking the step right now.Especially since you've said you have a new copy of Win XP Pro sitting on the shelf..FSX runs great with DX9 and Win XP Pro. Unless you need Vista and/or DX10 for some other application,suggest you hold off.

Bert