Sign in to follow this  
jvile

Jim Vile 's Kai tak for FSX

If you've already restarted the sim, try rebuilding your fsx.cfg file. Back up the original, delete it, then restart the sim to rebuild it.Regards,Jim Karn

>>i took off directx10 preview,>I am not sure what you mean by that statement. It sounds like you are saying you removed DX10 from your Vista64.That is not how you place FSX in DX9 Mode.There is a checkmark in display settings that you unchecked and then restart FSX. This take FSX out of DX10 Preview mode and runs FSX in DX9 mode.

Guest JacobKoziarz

only the checkbox. haven't touched config either - i guess back to square one - my favourite - reinstall...

Guest JacobKoziarz

confif worked - saw it immediately from the runway - thanks a lot !!!

Guest Rick Baldwin

Jim,Thanks for your reply, but you credit me with much more knowledge than I have!I don't know what TTools is, but even assuming that I can assemble FP's with TTools using your directions, I haven't the slightest idea how to convert them to FSX compatibility!I hope I'm not being too much a pain in the a** here. :-lol -Rick----------- My System -----------P4 @ 2.53 GHz / 1GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce 6800XT, 256MB / Windows XP Home

Hi Jim,I have just installed your KaiTak scenery but unfortunately, FSX hangs with a loud rumble from the speakers just as get close to the checkerboard. The only add-on I have in FSX is mesh from FS Genesis if that makes any difference.On my first try with the scenery I came in too high & I just overflew the airport. FSX did not freeze right away, but it did just as I flew out of the bay.Can you think of anything that might be causing this. I really love this airport and your add-on looks awesome until it hangs :-).Thanks,Maurice

Guest JacobKoziarz

Rick,Refer to my post #10. If you have fs9 - you could go for 9dragons kai-tak and learn how to use ttools in the process. As Jim indicates in the readme for VHHX_FP's.zip you can compile that with AIFPC.exe - however - it doesn't compile Jim's plans - here's what I get:Compiling Flightplans_VHHX.txtDuplicate airport in airport file: ZSCNDuplicate airport in airport file: ZSWZDuplicate airport in airport file: LCGKDuplicate airport in airport file: LGAVDuplicate airport in airport file: UKCWDuplicate airport in airport file: ZSNJDuplicate airport in airport file: ZYYJDuplicate airport in airport file: ZBAADuplicate airport in airport file: ZBHHDuplicate airport in airport file: ZBLADuplicate airport in airport file: ZBOWDuplicate airport in airport file: ZBTJDuplicate airport in airport file: ZBXHDuplicate airport in airport file: ZBYNDuplicate airport in airport file: ZGCSDuplicate airport in airport file: ZGDYDuplicate airport in airport file: ZGGGDuplicate airport in airport file: ZGKLDuplicate airport in airport file: ZGNNDuplicate airport in airport file: ZGOWDuplicate airport in airport file: ZGSZDuplicate airport in airport file: ZHCCDuplicate airport in airport file: ZHHHDuplicate airport in airport file: ZJHKDuplicate airport in airport file: ZJSYDuplicate airport in airport file: ZLICDuplicate airport in airport file: ZLXNDuplicate airport in airport file: ZLXYDuplicate airport in airport file: ZMUBDuplicate airport in airport file: ZPJHDuplicate airport in airport file: ZPPPDuplicate airport in airport file: ZSAMDuplicate airport in airport file: ZSCNDuplicate airport in airport file: ZSFZDuplicate airport in airport file: ZSHCDuplicate airport in airport file: ZSNJDuplicate airport in airport file: ZSOFDuplicate airport in airport file: ZSPDDuplicate airport in airport file: ZSQDDuplicate airport in airport file: ZSSSDuplicate airport in airport file: ZSTXDuplicate airport in airport file: ZSWZDuplicate airport in airport file: ZSYTDuplicate airport in airport file: ZUCKDuplicate airport in airport file: ZUGYDuplicate airport in airport file: ZUUUDuplicate airport in airport file: ZWWWDuplicate airport in airport file: ZYCCDuplicate airport in airport file: ZYHBDuplicate airport in airport file: ZYTLDuplicate airport in airport file: ZYTXDuplicate airport in airport file: ZYYJAirport count: 23816Aircraft count: 90Flightplans: 446Total Legs: 7905FILE NOT COMPILED: flightplans_vhhx.txtRJGG not found as final error.Jim - can you explain how to get it to work ? I think I saw somewhere in the cyberspace your comment that this will not work on Vista 64 bit. I even tried compiling on XP - it did it with no errors, but I had no traffic either. However, fs9 9dragons kai-tak bgl worked here - i had traffic but only from runway 31.

Guest JacobKoziarz

I attach some traffic with fs9 9dragons bgl imported to show it works, but that's about it - just some planes on the tarmac, no real action.

Here is a link to some pictures that show AI traffic on approach to Kai Tak flying the IGS 13 and almost a full house sitting on the ground. The pictures were downsized in image complexity so they would load on that web site. http://www.flightsimworld.com/forums/index...howtopic=135298The FP's in my FS2004 date back to the time period of 2000. Many airports no longer exsit in FSX or are duplictes of other ICAO airports over the last 8 years. Different utilities like AITM by Thomas Molitor will delete the duplicate airport FP's.There is a 3rd party Kai Tak Flightplan download here on AVSIM if you search the FS2004 Flightplan download area.If RWY 31 is the active you have to change the winds to 134 degree @ 8Kts or anywhere between Northeast and Southwest then reload FSX. If you don't reload FSX including all the AI Traffic it may take up to 45 minutes for the runway to flip in direction. Once I have the winds set correctly and my plane sitting where I want it I save VHHX in FSX. Once FSX starts up at my default airport I select the list of saved flights and load VHHX. Runway 13 will now be the active.

MauriceKai Tak for FSX is only tested with the default FSX mesh. I have not seen or heard of any freezes. If possible deactivate FS Genesis mesh and retest. What will cause a freeze around Kai Tak is if you had a previous Kai Tak such as one you tried from FS2004 and did not get all the files removed. Some FS2004 Kai Tak's tamper with the default Landclass files in the scenery folders which rename MS default files and replace with theirs including the FS2004 9Dragons Kai Tak.Also 2 Kai Tak airports will cause a freeze so make sure there is only one enhanced airport for Kai Tak. My enhanced airport file is the VHHX_ADE_jv.bgl. Make sure there is not another VHHX airport with another name on your computer somewhere.

Is there any way to close Rwy 31 with an Afcad BGL file.Thanks.Abe

Yes AbeIn this instance the VHHX RWY 31 which carries a higher score then the RWY 13 can be closed for takeoff and arrival.FS9/FSX uses a scoring system that we have been slowly deciphering the math to help us understand why some runways can be closed and some cannot.VHHX is not a default airport in the database and it has to be built up with a AFCAD type design program. This gives us the ability to set the score for how a runway is utilized. If you remove the ILS from runway 31, delete the Start Location and close (set to FALSE) both the takeoff and landing element attributes this lowers the score for that runway so it cannot be called for over the Runway 13.In return RWY IGS 13 will carry a high score even if the winds are tail winds and weather is less then 3 mile visibility. The weather engine and the ATC engine have very close ties to each other so it is important we understand the relationship when trying to close a runway which may also have a ILS.A document is being developed along with the Airport enhancer ADE Home Edition Utility. As you start doing things to close a runway ADE can assit in the future to score the runway and tell the scenery designer if the runway will close or not close.Once again in answer to your question, RWY 31 can be closed.

Thanks Jim for your reply. And thanks for the KAITAK scenery. I should have mentioned, temporarily I have been using the afcadclose31,bgl(not sure about the name) of 9Dragons which seems to work in FSX, but it seems it carries with it some extra baggage which makes the ILS flash.One more thing, if I may, how would you integrate, or create a simple flight plan that would do the accurate landing into VHHX, heading 88degrees, then shifting to 13. Would appreciate an answer, preferably an EXCAT flight plan doing this procedure.Thanks again, Jim.Abe

>Maurice>>Kai Tak for FSX is only tested with the default FSX mesh. I>have not seen or heard of any freezes. If possible deactivate>FS Genesis mesh and retest. >Thanks Jim. My problem apparently has nothing to do with your software and I think it was just a coincidence that it happened after I installed it. I removed everything and the simulation still freezes and now it also happens in other airports or when running the 3D Mark 6 benchmark. So, it looks like either driver or hardware problems.Anyway, thanks again for taking the time to answer.Mauriceps I did get one landing in before it froze one time and it was great to see KaiTak alive again :-)

Guest JacobKoziarz

Thanks Jim,I have to backtrack here - I'm still at:1. What do we use to compile the txt flight plans into FSX-format bgls ? Will AIFPC work on Vista 64 ?2. Is it possible for you to attach here the txt fps you're using ? 3. What is the function of the bgls that reside in vhhx/scenery folder - they are not traffic files - are they ?Thanks.Jacob.