Sign in to follow this  
Guest Daniel42

Anyone know if the ACES team plans to fix FSX?

Guest Jimbofly

Mate you have firmly established yourself as nothing but a troll on these forums. Is this the kind of response you were looking for? Good for you.

>It seems there are still a few of us folks with the infamous>NvIdia late 7x to early 8x cards that are still having issues>despite the latest drivers. Either we have to upgrade to>newer 8x cards, with the appropriate power supply and mother>board, or stick with SP1 that will eventually hold us back now>that more and more developers (both freeware and payware) are>desining for SP2, or stick with FS9. Unless Nvidia can figure>out what the issue is with these cards and give us a driver>that will work...but, it would seem to me that they've got>bigger fish to fry then to mess with the few that have this>issue.>>Oh well...FS11 is only a year or so away ;-) I have no problems with a 7950 GT or with anything particular in FSX +Acceleration. So I'm not sure what you mean about "infamous" 7x cards.CraigLian Li PC 65B CaseCorsair HX Series CMPSU-620HX 620W Power SupplyPlextor PX-810SA/SW-BL DVD/CDGiagabyte GA-P35-DS3RCrucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)Arctic Freezer 7 ProIntel E6850 Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz 4M shared L2 Cache @ 3.5GHzEVGA 7950GT KO 512mb 169.21_forceware_winxp_32bit_whqlSeagate Barracuda 7200.10 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATASeagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATAWinXP Pro SP2Track IR

>Dear Phil,>>Please, please, explain to the flight simulation community in>simple, straight-forward, no beating about the bush or>'avoiding the question' terms how the SP2 menu CTD issue can>possibly be Nvidia's fault, when using the very same driver>with SP1 works flawlessly and with SP2 it doesn't.>>And then extend us the courtesy of explaining in equally>simplistic terms why if MS, ACES or you personally are not>going to issue a further SP fix, that you can't at least help>Nvidia to rectify the problem in a new driver release so that>we can all get off your case and you can go back to planning>FSXI in peace.>>Would the above really be that difficult for the corporate>behemoth that is Microsoft to achieve?>>Vox

>If your driver logic was correct then every person in the>Universe using a 7950GX2 with the same driver release, as I>am, would have the same problem. Right?Not necessarily. There may be other factors involved. Perhaps you were unlucky enough to buy one of the cards with a slightly defective chip. There were many thousands produced with such defects.>As far as ATI is concerned there is no proof that every ATI>using has never encountered this problem. They all don't>belong to the FSX forums do they?Of course not. However it's not that difficult to compare the nVidia support forum(s) to those of ATI, and note that there are very few complaints about ATI's cards.>Anyway, are you saying that you use the sim without using the>menu?No, I said that I (and every other person I've communicated with who also owns an ATI card) have never had a "menu freeze" or "shimmering" while using FSX (DX9 or DX10), full-screen or windowed...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

>I just loaded SP 2. On the free flight page where the pic of>the acf appears there are five horizontal bars and a part of>the vert stabilizer appears in every other bar. It appears to>build the entire acf but the image is way too large to fit the>screen if it all came together. I tried 3 acf. Same problem.>Happens in "load flight" also. I know this minor but still a>PIA. It didn't recognize my GoFlight MCP. Other 5 modules were>OK. The MCP didn't show in GF cfg either. Unplugged the MCP,>rebooted and plugged it back in. OK now. May be>unrelated.Everything else seems to work OK Delete your FSX.cfg and restart FSX which will create a new .cfgYou will have to reset all your settings again but that should fix the display corruption.

\Robert Hamlich/

I had the same problem with SP2 after I installed Acceleration. I was using an EVGA Geforce 7950 GT 512Mb and the sim crashed while accessing the menu while in flight.I had been emailing back and forth between EVGA and NVIDIA where they finally realised there were issues with their drivers. I never did receive anymore updates from either company so I opted for looking at a new video card. The fix came when unfortunately I did buy a new video card. I am using a BFG 8800 GToc 512Mb and have not had any menu crashes like I did before.Well at least now I am ready for DX10 and Vista but I am unsure whether I should take the plunge... but first I am going to buy some nvidia stock and make a whole pile of money.

\Robert Hamlich/

Don't wish to appear patronizing Bill but, ever since I purchased the two Eaglesoft aircraft, perused Phil's blog and update my 8800 drivers following this young mans advice here:- http://www.tweakguides.com/NVFORCE_1.htmlMy FSX performs well within the margins of what I consider to be pleasant and an immersive experience. In fact I am only here typing this to you, because my 'Control Tower' has insisted that I take a break from FSX, as she feels that I am clocking up too many flying hours instead of attending to her needs in the hangar, so to speak.Just before I go to make the good lady a coffee, we would just like to say how much we admire the awesome way you and Phil deal with the flak, that some folk here persist in throwing at you both.You are indeed, admirable Ambassadors for your respective enterprises.

>>1) Only nVidia 8800 users are affected2) Not all nVidia 8800 users are affected<

If the problem was in the software, it would be universally present.If the problem was in the software, replacing the hardware while the software remains constant would not fix it. Maxam66 just posted that he did replace his 7 series ( and yes it does appear to affect 7s and some early 8s ) with an 8 series and it fixed the issue. Perhaps the issue with FRAPS is something else, perhaps it is a further clue. But to dismiss that data point out of hand, along with all the other data points *is not scientific*. So far the data supports the conclustion this is not MS or Aces issue. Given that is true, I nor anyone at Aces can force a resolution. Why is that so hard to understand?At this point, I am done communicating on this issue as I dont see continually going in a circle as productive.

Guest Mike94

just for the record... I have a nvidia 7800GTX and i suffer from the menu freezes as well. The freezes ALWAYS occur when i acces the FSX/SP2 menus. When in windowed mode, the problem does NOT occur.So, it's not true that only 8800 users are affected.Cheers,Michael

Michael,When in full screen mode, how do you access Windowed mode without using the menu? I would love to try this in Windowed mode, however as soon as I hit the alt key; boom, CTD. Respectfully,Ken LeMay

Craig,I've got the GT version of eVGA's 7950 with 512 meg of ram and have the CTD issues when trying to access the menu bar in Full screen mode...there are quite a few of us 7xs that have this issue...hence my statement. Im not saying ALL 7x users, just some of us. Sincerelly,Ken LeMay

>When in full screen mode, how do you access Windowed mode>without using the menu?Alt+EnterMarco

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

"We've seen this sad scenario many times where folks refuse toacknowledge that their system is not optimized and software isblamed instead"So you are saying that if we all optimize our systems the problem will go away. So exactly what optimization should be performed?

In this case it is clear that the menu issue is hardware/driver related on some users systems while others have no difficulty.As others have pointed out, proper removal of old drivers, proper installation of new drivers, renaming and rebuilding the FSX.cfg file, etc. One answer was replacement of a video card. I have a friend who's new card will not fit the slot correctly and his system will not boot unless he jiggles the card first:-)Be creative, understand your system, and learn all you can about how your own system behaves the best:-)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png