Sign in to follow this  
Guest Daniel42

Anyone know if the ACES team plans to fix FSX?

>If your driver logic was correct then every person in the>Universe using a 7950GX2 with the same driver release, as I>am, would have the same problem. Right?>Wrong! Each system is different and each driver will react differently.On my system, if I use the 169.21 or 28 drivers - I get the menu freeze. Also with the 169.28's I get the vertical lines as posted in another thread. If I use 169.13 beta's - all is well.It depends on your other software, hardware and configuration.VicQ6600 G0 CPU 2.4 o/c 3.65Evga 680i A1 with P31 BIOS 2G XP2-8500 DDR2 1066FSB Mushkin 996535 RAM 5-5-4-12-2T320G 7200 HD partitioned for XP/Vista/Programs 2 - 74G Raptors in RAID0 500G 7200 HD for backup SATA DVD burner Evga 8800GTS 640 PCIx 169.13 betaKandalf LCS case w/ built in liquid cooling 850W Thermaltake power supplyVisit the Virtual Pilot's Centerwww.flightadventures.comhttp://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-supporter-sigbanner.jpg

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Guest Roderick

I missread your post. Instead of restarting FSX, I put the DVD in and ran REPAIR. I now have a fatal error. App crash at 1036. Do I have to uninstall and start over?

Guest Roderick

VISTA business came bundled with my DELL XPS 710. They wouldn't give me an install key for several months until Dell decided it was OK.I have no problem with XPS until I installed SP 2 see above. I have nVidia 8800GTX. My only real complaint with VISTA is that they got too "cute" with some of the functions and it now takes more steps to do simple things like shut down.

>Craig,>>I've got the GT version of eVGA's 7950 with 512 meg of ram and>have the CTD issues when trying to access the menu bar in Full>screen mode...there are quite a few of us 7xs that have this>issue...hence my statement. Im not saying ALL 7x users, just>some of us. >>Sincerelly,>>Ken LeMayI have a 7xxx card and FSX SP2 works flawlessly for me,.(for the record)RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

>>Craig,>>>>I've got the GT version of eVGA's 7950 with 512 meg of ram>and>>have the CTD issues when trying to access the menu bar in>Full>>screen mode...there are quite a few of us 7xs that have this>>issue...hence my statement. Im not saying ALL 7x users,>just>>some of us. >>>>Sincerelly,>>>>Ken LeMay>>I have a 7xxx card and FSX SP2 works flawlessly for me,.>>(for the record)>>>Rhett>>AMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS>A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150>gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb>5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster PraetorianWhat model is your 7xxx card?

Guest zzmikezz

I don't have FRAPS installed but I do get menu freezing. I therefore run in windowed mode, and to my amazement I'm getting better performance this way. This may have something to do with the fact that I'm not running with sliders all the way to the right.I do have a year old mid-range Nvidia card with a year-old driver, so I agree with what Phil Taylor said in the other thread -- it's clearly an Nvidia driver issue.However, given the good things that are happening for me in windowed mode, my pristine Acceleration system ain't broke and I have no plans to fix it.

Seems like a pointless waist of time typing this...but I too STILL get the occasional 'menu CTD' and this is with a

>>What model is your 7xxx card?uh, specs in sig...RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I second Geoff's comment that with my 8800GTS, no problems whatsoever. I'm still not the biggest fan of FSX, but that's one problem I've not had. Clean installs of FSX, SP1 then SP2 (not running Acceleration here)according to standard forum-published recommendations/tweaks and with a STABLE, if not CURRENT video driver (6.14.10.9792), decent CPU, and 4GB RAM seem to work in FSX for now. It could be better, but the system and/or tweaks have not yet been devised. It's a 2-sim world.....Regards,http://www.my-buddy-icon.com/Icons/objects/red_3d_plane.gifAlex ChristoffN562ZBaltimore, MD

PowerSpec G426 PC running Windows 11 Pro 64-bit OS, Intel Core i7-6700K processor @3.5GHz, ASUS GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual Graphics Card, ASUS TUF Z590-Plus Gaming motherboard, Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD, Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD, Acer Predator X34 34" curved monitor (external view), RealSim Gear G-1000 avionics hardware, Slavix, Stay Level Custom Metal Panel, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Redbird Alloy THI, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.

Guest fundies

I get plenty of ctd's since installing SP2. And I had none at all before.

I don't have the menu CTD, but then I only have a 6800GS so perhaps that makes me safe.I would point out however that I've come across bugs in the software I am involved in producing which only happen with some hardware and some drivers... but still turn out to be down to errors in our software. Sometimes the drivers that seem to be causing the problem can be behaving perfectly correctly, but because they happen to behave slightly differently from the drivers used during development and test they unmask problems that haven't been seen before.This is of course entirely academic, (i.e. only useful if you're more interested in finger pointing than in actually solving the problem) unless you have the ability to reproduce the problem in a debug environment -- only then can you find where the crash is occuring.I'm not going to voice an opinion on whether ACES "should" spend time trying to fix the problem. But I would point out that the problem only occurs in a free service pack, not in the original product. (I'm assuming you can get a refund if you bought Acceleration and find that it makes your menus crash... can't you?) Colin

You are correct. My nvidea 6200 runs fsx sp1 great. Phil flat out said there will be no more fixes for fsx so this is it. My solution is to run fsx sp1 only.Don

Is it ALL 8800 cards, just the GTX's, just the GTS's, both, with Vista, with XP? I have an 8800 GTS in Windows XP an using 6.14.10.9792 drivers from 12/2006 and have no problems with FS9/SP1 or FSX/SP2. I suggest we try and get a feel for any trend here and post our Card/Driver/OS specs/ FSX Version. So Ill start:nVidia 8800GTS / 6.14.10.9792 / Windows XP-SP2 / FSX-SP2(no Accel)http://www.my-buddy-icon.com/Icons/objects/red_3d_plane.gifAlex ChristoffN562ZBaltimore, MD

PowerSpec G426 PC running Windows 11 Pro 64-bit OS, Intel Core i7-6700K processor @3.5GHz, ASUS GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual Graphics Card, ASUS TUF Z590-Plus Gaming motherboard, Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD, Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD, Acer Predator X34 34" curved monitor (external view), RealSim Gear G-1000 avionics hardware, Slavix, Stay Level Custom Metal Panel, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Redbird Alloy THI, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.

Guest Daniel42

>Please, please, explain to the flight simulation community in>simple, straight-forward, no beating about the bush or>'avoiding the question' terms how the SP2 menu CTD issue can>possibly be Nvidia's fault, when using the very same driver>with SP1 works flawlessly and with SP2 it doesn't.If SP2 is using additional driver functonality compared to SP1, SP2 may expose bugs in the driver that didn't surface in SP1.Suppose you have two Television sets, each with their own remote. SO far you have only selected channels 1, 2 and 3 and for both TV/RC combinations there is no problem switching the channels... (SP1)One day you'll push the envelope, and think.. what if I would select channel 4 (SP2)?You press the 4 button on remote 1 and TV 1 switches to channel 4. Then you press the 4 button on remote 2... and nothing happens!So you call a friend whom also has TV 2 with remote 2: "Dude, you ever wondered what that 4 button on the remote does? Try it!" And behold... his TV switches to channel 4.Now... who or what is to blame for your TV2 not switching to channel 4? 1 You (FSX) ?2 Remote 2 (nVidia driver) ?3 TV 2 (Graphics Card) ?4 Some external factor (FRAPS, motherboard, cpu, memory, bad driver install)Case 1:According to some of the posters in this thread, you are to blame. Hey: You could switch to channels 1, 2 and 3. And despite the fact that you can switch TV1 to channel 4, you must be bugged for not being able to switch TV2 to channel 4.Case 2 / 3:If the problem was: driver 296.55 causes problems with all cards on SP2, the conclusion would be simple. But now we have the situation that in some houses pressing 4 will switch TV2 to channel 4 while in others it doesn't. So, there must be some other difference influencing the switching of channels.Case 4:This should be investigated. It would be very interesting to have a pool of DXDiag logs of 'identical systems' that either have or don't have the problem. But there may be differences that don't show up in the logs, so the difference could not be that easy to find.Finally:The whole purpose of a driver is to allow the user to press a simple button to achieve something. The driver will then translate this simple push to complex commands for specific hardware. The fact that there are identical card/driver combinations for which the crashes do and don't occur seem to indicate that FSX is pushing the right buttons. Else there would not be any working combination.And yes, SP2 is using new functionality. The careful installer might have read the additional requirement of 'Shader Model 1.1' for SP2 versus 'Shader Model 1.0' for RTM and SP1.Daniel

Guest Luggage

I have on 7600gt.