Sign in to follow this  
Justin Toposim

FSGenesis v2 Mesh to Fix Airport Plateaus

Thanks Justin,I got it all downloaded now! All is well in the world again! :-)Pete S.

Pete S.

10th gen CPU I7-10700K, MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Edge MB, RAM 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB-DDR4 3600, 

2X 1TB Sabrent Rocket Q M.2 Nvme SSD. Enermax RGB CPU Liquid Cooler.(Still waiting on Evga RTX 3080 Video)

Justin, nice work, reading your announcement at your site and having one of my own customers ask me about an airport on a plateau I figured there had to be a solution and that got me thinking tonight and basically arrived at the same conclusion...I don't think I spent the amount of time you went over thinking about the issue because the idea popped in my head also to cut holes and let the default show through... The 1km radius won't work so much for the stuff I'm now working on and Holger suggested another routine which may or may not work well for higher than 10m data but it's interesting that we both came to effectively the same conclusion...Holger told me about this thread after I had posted at fsdeveloper basically with a similar process...Anyway, I did send you email a few days ago to let you know I'm stopping production on 10m NED products... I'm going to be driving some traffic your way as well...I'm starting to focus on photoscenery and super high res dem's so you don't have to worry about competing commercial 10m mesh... :-)I'm so glad to hear you're going fractional, means I don't have to deal with the seamless servers anymore lol... :-)Cheers,Dean.

Dean Mountford
Ultimate VFR

Guest Phil75070

I can get to fsgenesis.net but it won't recognize my user name and password if I try to log in from there. I can't get fsgenesis.com to load at all.UPDATE: By using the link in the email notification I got in and am downloading now.

Hi Dean,Thanks, and yes I got your email and sorry I haven't replied yet. I've been a bit distracted by court hearings this week spawned by a nasty and expensive custody battle brewing concerning my two youngest children, whose mother during the past three weeks has pulled some underhanded and nefarious maneuvers trying to gain advantage in the process, but ultimately she's shooting herself in the foot. Short-term aggravation and irritation, long term benefits as far as my children's best interests go. But ya gotta do what ya gotta do no matter the cost.I'll get back to you soon . . .-------Justinhttp://www.fsgenesis.netHigh Quality Scenery for FS200x

Justin - Toposim

http://www.toposim.net

Man...it's so great to NOT SEE cliffs at every airport. Great work, now it feels real.Thanks, Justin.Stan

>Justin, just a heads up>>I installed V2 this morning... great job by the way!, ... the>original V1 file was not named the same as the V2 file so it>will not overwrite if you drop it in the Flight Simulator>XScenery0101scenery folder>>The V1 filename was _FSGdem0101us.bgl instead of>FSGdem0101_us.bgl>>I use the USNW installed from the website for V1 so that is>what is installed by the USNW download unless that was updated>at some point and I was unaware of it.>>I noticed a problem because when I first installed V2 the>plateau was still at KSEA and when I checked I found both in>the 0101 folder. Once I deleted the V1 file, all worked fine.>>Did you mean the "ak", rather than "us" files?After installing V2 I had an _FSGdem0101_ak.bgl and a FSGdem0101_ak.bgl. The files you listed seem to be fine on my end.Justin, am I supposed to delete one of these files?Thanks

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

No, not unless you're still seeing plateaus in western Washington after installing the V2 file.The only people who might possibly have problems are those who downloaded the very earliest v1 files way back in early October 2006.-------Justinhttp://www.fsgenesis.netHigh Quality Scenery for FS200x

Justin - Toposim

Ok, thanks!Btw, the Galaxy Membership rocks! :)

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

So, Justin, what did ACES do to avoid the abrupt elevation changes between airport backgrounds and the surrounding terrain? Did they "fudge" the real terrain elevation data for some distance around the airports, as your solution seems to indicate, or did they use a more sofisticated approach such as "sloped flattens"? I'm curious because useing the free 10M USA mesh, at the moment, and modifying several stock airports, I went to the trouble of creating multiple sloped flatten polys to blend the airport elevation into the terrain around the boundries. A very time consuming effort, to be sure. I'm not seeing the problems in Europe, where I'm using a 38M mesh but I'd like to have an approach in hand should higher res meshes for the airports in Eastern Europe that I am "upgrading" reside. TIA, Paul

Wide-5.jpg

I was kind of concerned that "cutting the holes" might cause a loss of fidelity, and it might at some places, but I did a random check using KUIL. As expected, it does get rid of the plateau. I noticed what appears to be an artifact but it blends in well so at least here, I would consider it a non-problem.There still might be some airports where "filling in the hole" might be desirable. Looks good so far.scott s..

Guest SIDDickDastardly

>Another solution would be for several hundred of you who>haven't yet obtained the FSX Bundle Special, get it > today <>and I'll run out over the weekend and get a cutting-edge>quad-core system with NVIDIA

HI Dick,This brings up an issue that I have not decided on policy yet. Since the distribution of v2 is a gradual process spread out over approximately the next 4-6 weeks, would you like to have the version 1 DVDs now, then download the version 2 updates as they appear, or wait until the version 2 DVD are ready to ship 4-6 weeks from now?-------Justinhttp://www.fsgenesis.netHigh Quality Scenery for FS200x

Justin - Toposim

Guest SIDDickDastardly

Hi Justin,I'm happy to wait for the version 2 disks, thanks. (My userid on your site is "DickDastardly" btw).Cheers,DD

Guest sstobbe

I have noticed that many small airports are sunken into the terrain or on plateaus, with cliffs at both ends and both sides of the runway, implying that the elevation of the airport in FS is wrong. (I have verified a few cases using topographical maps). Does the fix address this problem? Wouldn't it be easier to adjust the airport elevation where it was surrounded on all sides by cliffs?