Sign in to follow this  
thepilot

FSX: Not a simulator, but an action game?

Hello,with my new pc I can finally run FSX with a good performance (30+ frames), at least in the demo version which I downloaded a few days ago.I don't expect a serious frame impact in the full game.But what strikes me most is that Microsoft/ACES obviously seem to turn over to an action game. Animals running around, missions, moving ships on the ocean.Those aren't really things which form a simulator, don't we have GTA San Andreas or Call of Duty 4 for that?I was really disappointed at the ATC- still the same crap like in FS9 and even FS8, only with a new, shiny and frame-eating interface.I don't even think that traffic handling has changed, but I'll certainly need to find that out.It would have been great to have more voices available, a french dialect etc.The only hope I have is that a 3rd-party addon developer creates an ATC addon, till then editvoicepack will be necessary.Nevertheless, the ground textures of FSX look stunning.Looking forward to regional flights with ASQ CRJs.Tell me about your point of view.Regards,

Guest fsxmissionguy

I dunno, I was flying the F18 the other day over the Pacific, and was pretty happy to have a moving ship beneath me to simulate ... you know, landing.

Guest Nils79

It depends on you and how you use FSX.BTW, i don't need animals in Call of Duty 4.

Sure, that's the reason why I asked for your point of view.Me not either, just meant the overall action character.

I don't see it that way at all.But since you mention animals-on my last 6500 nm trip across the US out of the 17 airports I landed at I had encounters with animals at 4-a fairly high percentage (coyotes at 3, and cows at one). Some of these were major airports by the way-was even on the atis and called by the tower and approach controller at Santa Fe, Nm. I have encounters with birds on almost every fight except winter where I live. So for me this is an increase in reality-not game.Gamelike is in the eye of the beholder as are user requested features-personally I could care less about accents on controllers but I understand to some that is important. If all fsx added was the addition of wildlife-I'd agree with you-but of course much more was added.Missions have scenerios like in real life-I can't think of anything more real or useful to simulate-after all flying is not predictable. Fly the Chelen mission-see how you handle the Baron when something unexpected that we train for happens after an already challenging flight at the worst time.Of course the higher quality terrain, better aircraft handling and air currents, incredible cloud depiction-(especially with fex which has the most beautiful clouds ever rendered in a sim), increased included avionics and gauges (finally a dual manifold pressure/rpm gauge for twins),-let's not forget the shared cockpits in multiplayer where I can give you a lesson of how to fly the Baron-or jump in the control tower and make you work up a sweat.So fsx is a very much improved simlulator for me, and if it wasn't I wouldn't have any interest in using it. http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpgMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

Guest Stoopy

>>Tell me about your point of view.>Since you're asking...My point of view is that the additional content and scenery, when combined with the missions, adds remarkably to the overall sim experience and particularly for those people who like to have what to them is a more intriguing reason to simulate flight while experiencing unexpected or interesting situations heretofore unavailable in a consumer flight sim product (well, Flight Unlimited had some cool missions too I guess).However for those who dont' want that, FSX still models the same whole world and has the same instruments and same airfields and same ATC as it's predecessor, so if your interests run more along the lines of level flight at 30,000 feet in an airliner performing the no-doubt-thrilling Peoria to Topeka run, well, it does that just fine too so the content doesn't hurt you one bit. While at the same time leaving the add-on market wide open for the developer folks who might like to earn some coin providing for the apparently-much-in-demand ATC addon market.

When I see 4 or 5 aircraft close behind on the GS, I surely won't say oh yes, great, look at that...Just a few words to underline my opinion about FSX.Animals, missions etc. don't detain me, it's ok when they're there, but for me, as an IFR flyer, it would have been better to have a new ATC with more features.I'm quite sure that I'm not the only one.Basically, there's obviously no big difference in ATC belongings between FSX and FS8/9.Regards,

I think many of us lamented the apparent arcade direction after the initial release. However, in retrospect, my complaint was probably an incorrect conclusion that high frames and quality motion was traded for cows and crows and bears. As it turned out, the sim far out distance my computer. Barn yard animals and blimps weren't even in the round off error of performance issues for me. :)In any case "action game" or "sim" is in the eye of simmer. For me it is still a simulator with additional real world stuff I must account for or avoid. Bob..

Are you speaking of "ifr" flyer or "commercial carrier" flyer?The reason I ask is I fly 99% of my flights GA ifr in the real world -and even though the fs atc was not improved I find it pretty good for GA ifr flying-which is how I use the sim. I am still amazed that one can do a published approach to any airport in the world.For commercial carriers that use Sid's and Star' perhaps a different story. There are for sure lots of improvements that could be made to atc-but then there are add in atc programs like Radar Contact that do that in the same way that there are more serious and realistic performing aircraft that can be added.I do hope more is added to atc in fs11-and it is for sure something they did not improve in fsx. There is no doubt that fsx improved the GA side of flying in this version, and chose to leave some things unchanged.http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpgMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

I actually got the "cows on runway" warning from Flight Service at Wenatchee, washington where there was also this warning on coyotes posted on the door of the fbo.Santa Fe, Nm. had "warning-coyotes seen at the threshold of the runway and on taxiways" on the atis-when I was coming in to land was warned by the tower and told to look for them. Got the same warning on takeoff a few days later-but this time saw them hanging around..http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpgMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/183753.jpg

Also, keep in mind that missions are not new but renamed and revamped. They were called adventures in previous versions of FS.I personally love the addition of moving boats, just adds a nice touch when flying over the water seeing sailboats, speedboats and the like putzing around, not to mention the moving car traffic.ATC is a tough one to handle and was on my wish list as well but it wasn't a show stopper for me. Try out Radar Contact or VoxAtc if you want well done traffic. Radar Contact even does accented voices.

Animals, moving ships make a sim an action game? Sounds to me like it is simulating an environment, with ships and animals included. Perhaps if FS had an arcade flight model, weapons and a WASD interface, I could see it as an action game. IL2 is a sim, but with action. Simulating the action of a WW2 dogfight. I think the genre you are looking for is First Person shooter, which FS is no where near.

but for me, as an IFR flyer, it would have been better>to have a new ATC with more features.I'm a "topography flyer" myself, and consider FSX as a great improvement over FS9. Mostly due to higher resolution textures.L.Adamson