Sign in to follow this  
thepilot

FSX: Not a simulator, but an action game?

Since you asked:I'm always impressed by the realism included in the basic program. OK, ATC could use some additional improvements, but it's fine for the beginner. If I want improvements, I can buy them somewhere else or go to VATSIM or IVAO or Radar Contact. If I don't want the animals or the autogen, I can turn them off. If I don't want enhanced scenery, I can turn it down. On the other hand, a beginner may want the games to get them to buy. In short, MS has made a good basic sim for $69 that can be enhanced with aircraft, ai aircraft, more scenery, ground textures, etc. and suits a lot of people. You can spend what you want. If they put all we want in it, there would not be enough purchases to defray the cost of development.Want something really boring; go to the local flight school and ask for a ride in the GA sim. I had the chance to do that last year and other than the cockpit layout (real controls, etc.) it wasn't as "real" as our home computer sims.All in all, this is a great program.

AMD 3800X, Gigabyte Radeon 5700XT, AS Rock X570 Phantom Gaming 4, 32mb 3600 ram

>When I see 4 or 5 aircraft close behind on the GS, I surely>won't say oh yes, great, look at that...>>Just a few words to underline my opinion about FSX.>Animals, missions etc. don't detain me, it's ok when they're>there, but for me, as an IFR flyer, it would have been better>to have a new ATC with more features.>I'm quite sure that I'm not the only one.>Basically, there's obviously no big difference in ATC>belongings between FSX and FS8/9.>>Regards,>For me the program AISMOOTH has solved this issue for me, with the settings I use, and I never get go arounds from landing anymore except if an aircraft taking off isn't clear, and I rarely hear AI aircraft go a rounds either. Also to be fair, the FS AI engine was never designed to handle the realistic levels of AI we throw at it. I use WOAI with a large amount of airlines, especially US, Europe and Far East Asia. I run them at 100% airline traffic, no GA though. As much as the ATC/AI engine could be improved (and I agree it does need it), I'm amazed it handles it as well as it does, especially with addons aiding it like AISMOOTH, and FS Edit Voice Pack. Also with the expandability capabilities, of the sim, 3rd Party developers, such as Radar Contact, and VOXATC make it even more realistic!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Guest zzmikezz

It's not a game and it's not a hobby and it's not a simulation. It's a gezorninblatz.But whatever descriptive term is used, now that I've done a clean install of both FSX and Acelleration, with no intermediate steps, and with no attempt to rescue already-installed addons, it's an interesting and fun ... product.

And I'd say it's the most dynamic product I use...

Yeah, I also wish the ATC was improved....there's a whole lot that needs improving hehe, and ATC is a large part of aviation, whether you like it or not ;)However, FSX has a lot of good things about it, in general, I enjoy FSX :)

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Why do people think FSX has to be placed in such a specific category? Why put it in a category as either a sim or a game?You asked our points of view, so here's mine.I think FSX is BOTH a game and a true simulator.I've made several posts about how I use FSX as an aid to actual flight planning. Every time I fly FSX either before or after a real-world flight, I'm amazed at how it recreates the actual flight environment. Navaids are where they are supposed to be, I can practice procedures, instrument approaches, etc. The views even match the real world close enough to make it feel like I've been there beforeOther times, I start up FSX to just play with it... Actually, for a few years in FS2004, the only thing I would do was load up an X-Wing fighter I downloaded and shoot across the sky at thousands of miles per hour. I loved doing that. That was how I turned flight sim into a game.It all depends how you use it. It's both a sim and a game, and I love the fact that we have such a great tool at our disposal when it's time to get serious.It's a fact that the real world has animals in it. I actually wish FSX simulated more birds. On nearly every real world flight, I'll get a little too close to a bird than I'd like. I just don't understand how people think that by having animals (something the real world actually has) FSX is more of a game. Sure, MS could have spent more time improving more hard-core areas of the sim, but the fact that they chose to spend time on other things doesn't make it any less of a simulator.Use FSX how you want to. Make it as real as you want to. It's up to you whether its a game or a sim.