Sign in to follow this  
Guest Nils79

"Spring-Loaded" flight model...

I have a plane that has a VERY strong tendency to stay in level flight... if I try to bank, I usually have to hold FULL control deflection just to keep it in the bank. There have been other planes like this too... they don't want to bank at all. (No the autopilot isn't on... its just that they dont want to bank... a lot of times, if you let go of the control stick in a turn, the plane will spring out of the turn into a bank in the opposite direction)What should I change in the flight model files to eliminate that?

>What should I change in the flight model files to eliminate>that?Too much lateral stability. Try lowering "Cl_beta Roll Moment - Sideslip (Dihedral)"Marco

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Okay I got the roll down to where it should be... and I had to activate the trim (this is the Fokker Dr1 by neoqb). I got the trim working, but it's backwards. I also want to reduce it's tendency to be a very nose-up airplane (which is why I wanted to activate the trim in the first place) Can I get a couple more tips for those things?The plane is drop dead gorgeous but I'm surprised they released it with it flying like this... Can't turn it, and it wants to hang the nose in the air all day, with no trim available.

>>The plane is drop dead gorgeous but I'm surprised they>released it with it flying like this... Can't turn it, and it>wants to hang the nose in the air all day, with no trim>available.A lot of time went into that flight model to ensure it was as accurate as possible.

Guest thx1137

Dunno about flight models but... Is the autopilot on by default. I have had that occur, makes for an interesting flight!Steven.

>Okay I got the roll down to where it should be... and I had>to activate the trim (this is the Fokker Dr1 by neoqb). I got>the trim working, but it's backwards. I also want to reduce>it's tendency to be a very nose-up airplane (which is why I>wanted to activate the trim in the first place) Can I get a>couple more tips for those things?Sorry I don't know, try asking in the Aircraft and panel design forum.Marco

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

"I'm surprised they released it with it flying like this... Can't turn it, and it wants to hang the nose in the air all day, with no trim available."You may want to reconsider that remark. See my post inhttp://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...d=432586&page=1WW1 fighters were like that. I very much suspect that you're just messing up the model.

It was said of the Sopwith Camel that it never flew in the direction it was pointing! It was genrally accepted that it had apalling handling characteristics.The engine, guns, ammunition, fuel tank and pilot were all located within the first 7 ft of the fuselage. This, combined with a rotary engine which made it pull to the right all contributed to its reputation. It had no trim and pilots prefered to have it rigged so that at normal altitudes it needed constant forward pressure on the stick. This made it very manoeuvrable - reaes the pressure and it climbed dramatically. Its tate of turn to the right was twice that to the left. The Clerget rotary engine was controlled by blipping a button on the stick which cutout the iugnition. The Gnome engine was more refined - the button cut the ignition to all but one of its 9 cylinders.Expecting aircraft of one generation to compare with those of another is pointless. I knew Bill Bedford (Hawker's Chief Test Pilot responsible for Harrier develop[ment) and asked him how the handling of the Hurricane and Spitfire compared with that of the Hawker Hunter - then the RAF's front line fighter. His answer was short and succint "They were ****** awful"!

Guest Nils79

Thanks again - i love to read such knowledge and anecdotes!Unfortunately, the FS version doesn't seems to be simulated accurate - it's trimmable and the torque has no real effect.I will test a little bit - thanks! :)