Sign in to follow this  
Guest PPSFA

Ultimate Terrain X / Ground Environment X

hi,assuming that these terrain add-ons are worth the expense, which is preferable? , either for graphic appeal or framerate impairing ..thanks

Guest fsxmissionguy

I looked at both of these addons, and chose to purchase Ground Environment X, which I've been fairly pleased with. I haven't noticed any significant impairment of frame rates.It's 15% less expensive, but has fewer features.For example, UTX adds to the road database, upgrades railroads to include extruded railroad bridges over water, upgrades coastlines, etc., so there is probably some marginal frame impact there.One of the best ways of judging is to have a look at what customers are complaining about.Have a look here:Ground Environment X Support Forumhttp://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_topics.asp?FID=38Ultimate Terrain X Support Forumhttp://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_topics.asp?FID=19

If you can afford to, i'd strongly recommend them both together.I have them both and feel the combination is excellent.However, if i had to choose, i'd pick UTX. Just personal taste.

Guest Nick_N

I had a thread I just started announcing a major update to GEX coming very soon. Why it was deleted I do not know unless some rule was broken in which I am not aware of since this forum is full of such announcements and links to new and improved products.I agree with Dougal, both are must have products.UTX lays the shores, rails, roads, and supplies a much better defined landclass which in turn lands the textures installed in a much more realistic way.GEX is the textures, and, we are also updating it to include UTX enhanced textures so anyone using UTX with GEX will not have mismatched textures in their sim.The next update to GEX will be in a matter of a few weeks, perhaps less. You may review a preview of the upgraded textures we will be releasing here: http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=24741UTX has features that can crush performance on slower systems such as the night lighting. I personally use the

>If you can afford to, i'd strongly recommend them both>together.>>I have them both and feel the combination is excellent.>>However, if i had to choose, i'd pick UTX. Just personal>taste.I agree with Dougal on this one as I also own both. If you have to go for just one of the products, make it UTX. If you can afford it get both.

>It's 15% less expensive, but has fewer features.>>For example, UTX adds to the road database, upgrades railroads>to include extruded railroad bridges over water, upgrades>coastlines, etc., so there is probably some marginal frame>impact there.Er... UTX and GEX are completely different products! You can't compare them and you can't say GEX has fewer features because the features are []bdifferent[/b] altogether. A lot of people have them both (like Nick N says) which makes it clear it's not a choice like 'which one is better'. It's more a choice like 'what do you want'.

>I had a thread I just started announcing a major update to GEX>coming very soon. >>Why it was deleted I do not know unless some rule was broken>in which I am not aware of since this forum is full of such>announcements and links to new and improved products.If memory serves me well, your post only contained a link to another forum and nothing more. Most forums don't like that. I think this post will last longer. ;)Still, it's nice if the poster receives a message about a post being deleted... You can't learn from your mistakes if no one tells you what you did wrong, of course! It should be common policy. But there are more forums who delete posts without telling...

If you've gotten as sick of the poor default desert textures that seem to have completely covered the US (particularly Florida) then by all means purchase both.I have never had the need to purchase addons until FSX and was compelled to do so by virtue of the inherent shortcomings of the product. Specifically the ground environment.Once you install UTX and GEX, you will see FSX as it should have been on release.The stock aircraft VC's, well, thats another program.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Guest Doods

What is the cost of the new update.......

>What is the cost of the new update.......Updates to GEX are of no cost to GEX owners.

>>What is the cost of the new update.......>>Updates to GEX are of no cost to GEX owners.They may SEEM expensive to buy, but all the updates that get churned out, it's not a bad deal.Also, unlike many so called *updates*, that's exactly what they are mostly. Not bloomin great patches to cover bloomin great holes.

Guest Nick_N

Unfortunately your memory is not serving you well because it was not just a link, it was a complete description and it was answered in a positive light by one of the mods too.But no matter. Everyone knows where GEX is.:-lol

I must add my opinion to the chorus of voices. Both addons are a must. They do quite different things. UT provides road and water and landclass data and GEX provides textures. Buy both hands down.

Mike Keigley

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

>I must add my opinion to the chorus of voices. Both addons>are a must. They do quite different things. UT provides road>and water and landclass data and GEX provides textures. Buy>both hands down. I agree :) I couldn't be happier with the two.

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com