Sign in to follow this  
Guest Pilot533

ATP and DCA

true but you are going to on restriction and on call for pilots who can't fly the problem is when you get in this low is that it takes a while to make it up to ATP minimums so that you can upgrade to left seat.

If I were to pick between the two I would pick ATP because of the reputation and being able to do the regional jet program.

Guest Pilot533

Dont they offer a time frame when they will upgrade you, but these can change pretty fast right? Some airline boast low upgrade times I have heard. (I have also heard to be weary of these airlines)

Guest j_merv

>Well sure they will stick if people will pay for the tickets,>I guess with the buisness travelers and people commuting to>work they should need a steady stream of regional pilots (at>least I hope so anyway) Now the nitty gritty. Wonderfull>parents. Thats how I plan to finance the main stuff at atp or>dca or whatever school I plan on going to. While Im flight>instructing or hour building, they will provide a place to>live but once I go for the airlines im on my own with an>apartment until im settled enough to buy a home because job>security or being able to settle down in one place is>something I dont expect to see for a long time. And chris,>sorry I guess there was a misunderstanding, I should have been>more specific with what I meant with the hiring minimums I>suppose. >>Back to the main topic, what school do you think is a better>choice?Training costs at these schools are very high. Some up in the $70k - $80k range. If you are not taking out any loans to pay for it, that puts you in a very nice spot.If you DO take out any loans, rethink your decision. You will be in debt for a looong time, trying to pay off a $100k loan you took out to get a $20k/yr job.Also, I've heard just horrible stuff about DCA. Stay away.

Guest Pilot533

Hmm well I was certainly leaning towards atp for many reasons, but what is so bad about dca? And should I look into others like aca, flightsaftey, raa, pan am or spartan? And what about jet university, it that a gimmick?

>Dont they offer a time frame when they will upgrade you, but>these can change pretty fast right? Some airline boast low>upgrade times I have heard. (I have also heard to be weary of>these airlines)Nobody offers anything about when you will upgrade. Whatever anybody tells you now about when you will upgrade if you sign up with their airline is worth about as much as the paper it is written on or the breath it is spoken with. It can and will change instantly at the whim of the industry and the business position of your airline. And you haven't even learned to fly yet, why do you even have upgrade on your mind? Upgrade time will be completely moot if you don't have the maturity, experience and judgement at the time you go through it to pass. Lately, about as much as 1/3 of the people upgrading here don't make it through. They are given two chances at the type ride here before they have to decide. Go back to FO or take the third ride and either pass or be terminated. Most of these are people who've come straight to the regionals from the puppy mills and have practically zero experience being in charge of a plane. Worry more about which school will provide better flight instruction at a better cost than one which sells you promises of the left seat of an RJ quicker.

Guest Pilot533

Yeah I knew I would get flamed for saying that, just wanted another opinion again. The reason I am thinking about these this is to be prepared, ever hear of planning ahead? ;)

>Yeah I knew I would get flamed for saying that, just wanted>another opinion again. The reason I am thinking about these>this is to be prepared, ever hear of planning ahead? ;)Ever heard of "putting the cart before the horse?"If you were really planning ahead and thinking clearly, you'd be asking questions about getting a real four year degree, getting flight training during your early college years, flight instructing during the later college years, internships at major airlines and possible military options. Not questions about whether you get a Delta Airline seniority number by going to Delta Connection Academy (ROTFLMAO) or who's got the fastest upgrade times when you haven't even started taking private pilot lessons. Have you gotten your medical yet? Can you hold a Class I? How long until you turn 23? What if you keep getting airsick? How is your driving record? What if it turns out you don't really cut it in the cockpit? There's a lot more relevant things to think about than your seniority at Delta Airlines.

Yes Kevin brought up a lot of good points. I know after the first quarter of school we find at least 5 or more people from a class size of 40 that can't cut it to even get their solo write off.

Guest Pilot533

"Have you gotten your medical yet? Can you hold a Class I? How long until you turn 23? What if you keep getting airsick? How is your driving record?"Alright, this topic is no longer productive and is becoming a waste, moderators you can go ahead and lock this if you wish.