Sign in to follow this  
Guest PPSFA

FSX Monitor Options

I would appreciate hearing how others have their displays set up for FSX. I'm trying to determine how much benefit is derived from a widescreen monitor as well as multiple monitors.1. Will the FSX display in full screen mode be expanded to a wider range on a widescreen monitor, or will it just be stretched? I assume that the 2D panel cannot be expanded and would have to be stretched (?).2. Can full screen mode be used at all with multiple monitors? I have tried two monitors (no widescreen) but can get them to work only in windowed mode. My system (listed below) is unable to handle two FSX displays with exterior view windows enlarged to fit the screens, such as cockpit view with 2D panel on one and virtual cockpit view to right on the other.Thanks for any input. :)Now flying with: Biostar TF560-A2+, Athlon 64X2-6000+, Geforce 8800GTS-320MB, 500W PSU, 250GB HD, FS2004 (with UT-USA, ASV6 & FSGen), or FSX (w/SP1 & SP2), Vista Home Premium

Art

if you like flying in the virtual cockpit, a wide-screen monitor will give you a wider view of the cockpit, without any stretching.Highly recommended.2d panels in full screen mode will be stretched.. not as good.Since switching to a 22 inch monitor, at 1680x1050, I've pretty much lost interest in 2d panels and look for aircraft with great virtual cockpits..

Bert

>2. Can full screen mode be used at all with multiple monitors?> I have tried two monitors (no widescreen) but can get them to>work only in windowed mode. My system (listed below) is>unable to handle two FSX displays with exterior view windows>enlarged to fit the screens, such as cockpit view with 2D>panel on one and virtual cockpit view to right on the other.I do this... 1. Run FSX in windowed mode2. Display a 2D panel (such as the Radio Stack - Ctrl 2) then right click the panel and select "undock" from the menu.3. Drag the panel to the 2nd monitor.4. Switch to full screen mode (Alt Enter) and hey presto! You have the VC on one monitor and 2D panel (ie Radio Stack) on the 2nd monitor.Works great!

Matthew S

Guest PPSFA

There are many ways to configure, depending on your system setup and whats comfortable for you.Personally, I use 2 21" CRT's, as I think the resolution is sharper than LCD's, for my eyes anyway. Plus, as a rule, LCD's look best at only their native resolution. I fly normally in windows mode, but I dont use the maximize button. On my primary monitor, I use the 're-size' option and stretch the window to fit, which eliminates all but the top blue bar, and that I can slide up a bit so it is mostly out of sight. This seems to give me better frame rates. I also slide the 'Taskbar' over to the second monitor on my right, which allows me to see any IM's coming in, and also putter around with other things on some of the longer flights.The second monitor displays any secondary windows from the plane, GPS, radio stack, etc. I can resize them to fit, and open as many as needed.I am lucky that I have a second computer that also has 2 monitors, and on those I open 'Airnav' or any other site I need to get weather, airport diagrams, approach plates, etc. One of them is a widescreen and it drives me nuts, as every window opens 'stretched' and I have to mess with it. I also run all voice comms (Teamspeak) on that one, so theres no possibliity of it interfering with Flight Sim (I fly multiplayer with a group 99% of the time).Hope this helps ya, try different configurations and see what works best for you.

Thanks for the replies. Based on Bert's reply, the only way a widescreen monitor will be of benefit is to fly in virtual cockpit mode. This is what I expected. I guess if you want to fly with the 2D panel in windowed mode and have only one monitor, the widescreen would give you some space to display other windows.MathewS suggested the virtual cockpit mode on the widescreen monitor in full screen mode and items from the 2d panel on a second monitor. This does not work for me. When in full screen mode, the two monitors alternately flash scrambled displays, which are of no use. In other words, it doesn't work with my system. This works only in windowed mode.PPSFA, you must have some good quality CRT monitors. My second monitor is a cheap CRT, which can't begin to compete with the clarity of my primary (not quite as cheap) LCD monitor. That was an interesting tip on moving the taskbar to the second monitor, something that hadn't occurred to me as being possible.

Art