Sign in to follow this  
scnrfrq

Move FSX to Another Drive?

Can someone tell me what's involved in moving FSX from my C Drive to my D Drive? Is it simply a matter of moving the FSX folder to the new drive, or would it require an entire uninstall/reinstall? With FS9, all I did was move the folder, then make a few minor changes to get everything to work.

You'll want to re-install on your new drive.Simply moving the folder won't update your Registry, which will cause you nothing but grief with add-ons, etc. For example, the FS2Crew Start Center looks to your Registry to see where FSX is located. If your FSX folder is in a different place from where the Registry thinks it is, you'll have problems.Now, for the sake of theory, you might be able to just move the FSX folder over, and then use one of the free FSX Registry Repair Tool (like the one from Flight1 or TweakFS) to update your Registry... but still, you're inviting needless problems by trying to do it that way...Sorry for the long-winded ramble :-)Cheers,Bryan

Not a good idea as this is likely to introduce stutters. I started out with FS9 and FSX on separate partitions and had to abandon the setup and completely reinstall to get rid of horrible stutters.Mark.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

I have not tried this; however, Ultimate Terrain X has a menu option to move FSX. Don't know if it works or how it works, just thought I'd pass this on.On this computer, I had the single hard drive divided into 2 partitions when I bought it. One partition for all the "normal" stuff and the other for flight simulators. I have FSX, FS9, and Xplane on the flying partition with no problems. On the "flight" partition I turned off indexing to keep the files as originally installed. So far all is working well.I find I don't use FS9 or Xplane at all any more, but I dont' need the drive space yet so I let them stay on.

AMD 3800X, Gigabyte Radeon 5700XT, AS Rock X570 Phantom Gaming 4, 32mb 3600 ram

Guest cbuchner1

I would copy the folder to some external drive and place a hard link (junction point) where the original folder was. By doing it this way your registry entries are allowed to point to the original location still.There are free third party tools available to create links, like "Junction Link Magic", NTFSLink, and others.I've done this linking trick to my Program Files folder, as well as to my individual user profiles.Christian

Save yourself an awful lot of hassles and follow Bryan's (byork) first line of advice. Some say that my HDD configurations below are a bit extreme, but FSX runs like a dream for me.

When using Linkmagic, does it save disk space on the C drive with the empty FSX folder, or does the PC still think FSX is installed on the C Drive, thus not saving any disk space?

I tried Linkmagic and am confused by how it works. I set up an empty FSX folder on my C drive and linked it to my true FSX folder on my D Drive. When I went back and looked at my "empty" FSX folder on the C Drive, apparently Linkmagic had filled it with all my FSX files? This seems to defeat the purpose of saving dsisk space, if the empty folder is filled with the FSX files. Now I have complete FSX folders on both drives. I tried this with another small program and the same thing happened.Am I doing something wrong here?

Guest cbuchner1

Congratulations, you are looking through a "virtual window" on your C drive onto the external drive. The files aren't actually on the C drive, they just appear to be. Look at which HD's LED is active when you access the files. Right, it's the external drive's LED.Unix and Linux users are used to the concept of hardlinks, virtual folders, mount points, whatever they are called. For most Windows users, this seems to be a black magic still ;)Christian

OK, thanks. Not sure which LED you mean. Seems like it would now be hard to remember which are the real folders and which are the "virtual" ones. Any tips for this?