Sign in to follow this  

Would you really pay for this?

I personally feel that nickle and dime changes to a flight sim and charging for them are a slap in the face of those spending hours doing the same thing and contributing for free.With E-Commerce being more accesable to everyone, we are probably going to see the trend increase. I think those that are deciding to charge for their contribution should actually evaluate the value to the sim and the community. Will the average Joe spend 20 euros for grass, or keep looking and spend that 20 euros on a new aircraft. Which one gives you more for your money, and which one is just grass......$5us for grass, yea sure, i'll pay for that. But I will be afraid of the next $5 add on......new tire smoke - $5? Sun flare - $5? Water Texture - $5?

Guest Lith1um

What forces a perspective for me is the initial cost of the sim.For $50.00 you get fsx deluxe which includes the world, 24 aircraft, 45 high detailed airports, 38 high detailed cities, 51 missions, etc. Now that's what I call value. When compared to the parent product, the majority of addons are overpriced. I know many of them represent an incredible amount of man hours, and even monetary expendature on the part of the authors. I feel people should be justly compensated, but there comes a point where the cart is pulling the horse.

how can you even remotely compare software released by Microsoft compared to software released by a small company, sometimes one individual? That is ridiculous. if you want to look at it in such a narrow minded view, please stay away from this hobby! You are scaring all the good people who make/have made payware addons

Al,You were a bit harsh, doncha think? The guy was just expressing his opinion that he thinks addons should cost less than the parent product. There is some logic there.I disagree that his view is "narrow minded". Suggesting he stay away from the hobby has me close to pressing the "alert" button.Bob

I wondered how long it would be before we got a post comparing the price of add-ons with the price of FS. Market forces determine the price. The producers set the price and the consumers decide whether to pay it. If a developer stays in busness then his prices is fair, reasonable, value for money etc etc. The cost of production determines whether or not the producer makes a profit - it doesn't determine the price.

>What forces a perspective for me is the initial cost of the>sim.>>For $50.00 you get fsx deluxe which includes the world, 24>aircraft, 45 high detailed airports, 38 high detailed cities,>51 missions, etc. Now that's what I call value. >>When compared to the parent product, the majority of addons>are overpriced. I know many of them represent an incredible>amount of man hours, and even monetary expendature on the part>of the authors. I feel people should be justly compensated,>but there comes a point where the cart is pulling the horse.Heh - heh...let's see here...FSX = $50I had a computer that ran FS9 (and everything else I owned) perfectly well. But not FSX. So...New Computer = $2800 (FSX runs fine now)Although my "new computer" isn't "technically" and "addon", for the past 15 years, every new version of Flight Simulator that has been released has resulted in "...the cart is pulling the horse".Let's face it...we are all addicted to this FS thingie. Addons, addons, addons. Like you said above, FSX deluxe "...includes the world, 24 aircraft, 45 high detailed airports, 38 high detailed cities, 51 missions, etc." And most people couldn't run it with just that without upgrading. And they STILL "addon" more stuff to it.I think we are all just insane...yeah...that's it! ;-)PS - Gotta go search the 'net for my next FSX addon....(Note! The above is INTENDED to be "tongue in cheek". So relax. It's just that I ran out of Valium while trying to get my latest addon to work in FSX.) ;-)FalconAF

Rick Ryan

Guest Lith1um

>how can you even remotely compare software released by>Microsoft compared to software released by a small company,>sometimes one individual? That is ridiculous. if you want to>look at it in such a narrow minded view, please stay away from>this hobby! You are scaring all the good people who make/have>made payware addons;-) And if you don't mind, I'd ask you to stay away from the racing sim hobby where most stuff is free and devs still do it for the love of racing. Just joking, I could care less what you do.And on another note,Just how much value is there in FSX addons and their prices. After all, two years from now everthing you buy will be obsolete when the next version of FS is released. Then, you'll have to fork up that cash all over again. Some of the devs dont even offer discounts to repeat customers.And if anyone cares I have UTX, Xgraphics, GEX, FSgenesis mesh, FSdiscover, MyTrafficX, Xclass, and 5 payware aircraft.

Ulf B,Thank you for the insight. Your eco-darwinian explanation is so...original and refreshing.PatAMD Opteron DC 185 @ 3GHz, Zalman7700Cu cooler, Corsair XMS 2GB DDR, 7800GS-OC, Asus A8V MoBo, RaptorHDD, TrackIR4, CH FSYoke+TQ+peds, Eclipse RED KB, WinXP-sp2

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

There is a simple solution for you. No Addons! Just don't get it.I regret starting this thread. My intention wss not to beat up Gary or UK2000. They are one of the premier addonn vendors. I hope they continue doing what they are doing.Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

I don't believe it is harsh at all... you are comparing the price of software from a multi-billion dollar company to the price of software from a company of maybe 5-10 people. FS has always been the base for people to expand, it takes a long long time to develop something for the sim, especially complicated add-ons like airplanes, scenery, environment textures, etc. All that work and again, from a small company. I don't see a problem with prices being up around the same price as the game itself. Because Microsoft doesn't bother making a complete game, we are left relying on others to make the game complete. Quite frankly, the default game is boring and is probably the number one reason why the sim community never really explodes with new users after a new release of flight sim. New people buy it, play it for a bit, and put it away, while veterans know to rely on payware and freeware to keep the replay ability going for years to come. I believe an addon like a PMDG or Dreamfleet aircraft for example is worth the same price as the game itself because it is really a new game when you are playing. And again, these companies are not cash cows, they charge a price because they need to cover high costs and long development cycles demanded by simmers who want nothing but complete perfection and exact features like real life.So until people understand the economics of the situtation, and stop comparing apples to potatoes, we will constantly have good payware companies die off and/or struggle to make new products.

>There is a simple solution for you. No Addons! Just don't get>it.>>I regret starting this thread. My intention wss not to beat up>Gary or UK2000. They are one of the premier addonn vendors. I>hope they continue doing what they are doing.>>MannyRelax, Manny. Like I said, my reply was "Tongue in Cheek". I wasn't flaming you or anybody else here.FSX with no addons? NEVER!!! In fact, I'm developing one right now myself. It's gonna be called, "Tropical Fish of the World for FSX". I figure a Flight Simulator should have fish in it. Why not? People are requesting that the next version of FS have drivable cars, trains they can be an Engineer in, etc, etc. So I'm gonna add fish. It will have plenty of options for the end user. Like if you set your Scenery setting to Very Dense or higher, "Flipper" will swim up to your plane at the dock and squirt water on you. I'm gonna sell it for $29.95. Wanna bet that at least ONE person would buy it? Free enterprise...it's a great concept for addon developers. But it doesn't eliminate the need for the CONSUMER to still use the "Buyer Beware" aspect of spending their hard-earned money.***TONGUE IN CHEEK ALERT***;-)

Rick Ryan

ok, then I will do the alert thing...my first time, we'll see how this goes. You could make this very same point without telling lithium to leave the hobby.

it wasnt typed to be a threat, it was more along the lines of people who do not pay for addons (and the majority who do not will try to get the pirated version I am sure) are ruining this hobby and driving out the good business of payware companies while companies who rely on newcomers who dont know any better like "perfect" flight, captainsim, ariane, etc. keep thriving

The Wisdom of Homer J Simpson:"If you really want something in life, you have to work for it... now quiet, they're about to announce the lottery numbers." No, they are about to lock this topic.No place for personnal attacks.

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Is there a market for this?http://www.uk2000scenery.com/vfrairfields/...iles/Page1.htmlThe photo texture for UK is by Horizon. The default runway and taxiway as its becoming coming in FSX addons is the same ole crap.So..what is he value added? some buildngs and trees. I like UK2000 and their amazing airports like Gatwick. But I never thought there is a market for something like this.If many people think these are things they would pay for... then maybe..we need to start similar addons as payware. Don't get me wrong.. I am really curious to see how many would pay for this.Hmmmm.......:)Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter