Sign in to follow this  
Guest firehawk44

Confirmation On SP1 And FSX Install Please

Guest machammer

I am installing FSX on a new larger HD. I have uninstalled it from another smaller drive. Can I confirm that when I install it new and then install Acceleration I will have both SP1 and SP2 installed. So, all I have to do is install FSX then Acceleration and I will have both Service Packs installed.Thanks in advance to all who reply.Bill

Yes.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

just got Acceleration last night, nstalled it and now when I attempt a replay fsx experiences a "fatal crash', shuts down and restarts. Anyone else experience this?The above post indicates sp2 is installed with Acceleration....I did not know this. I installed Acceleration on fsx with sp1 already installed. Wonder if this could be the cause of the crashes. Anyone using fsx with dx10 yet? I've got a new computer ordered(dx10 capable) - 8800gtx video card etc and was planning XP Pro for the moment based on what I've herad about Vista which for the most part is not good. Was planning to change to Vista in the future when it got sorted out. Any thoughts, comments would be really appreciated. Thanks.

Guest firehawk44

"just got Acceleration last night, nstalled it and now when I attempt a replay fsx experiences a "fatal crash', shuts down and restarts. Anyone else experience this?"Several people have had this problem. You might look in the Crash to Desktop (CTD) forum for a possible solution. You may have to uninstall Acceleration and reinstall it. Another suggestion is to delete the fsx.cfg, restart the sim and let FSX rebuild it. "Anyone using fsx with dx10 yet? I've got a new computer ordered(dx10 capable) - 8800gtx video card etc and was planning XP Pro for the moment based on what I've herad about Vista which for the most part is not good."Several flight simmers are using DX10 without any problems. Installing FS9 aircraft and scenery will make FSX unstable using DX10 and you could suffer some crashes. The only thing I hate about DX10 Preview in FSX is the fact that most runways and airports have massive shimmering on the runways. Phil Taylor over at MS ACES has stated this is a video card driver problem and I hope it will be fixed soon. If you turn off DX10 Preview, the shimmering is gone and that's how I have my FSX configured right now. You are correct in getting a DX10 capable computer but you will need Vista installed if you want to run DX10. XP is not capable of running DX10 programs. Vista, in it's early stage, had problems because hardware makers of your video and sound cards didn't have stable drivers for Vista. Vista and the hardware drivers have matured substantially over the past year and I don't think you'll have any heartaches for installing Vista. Vista, SP1, is due to be released in Feb and that will make the OS even more stable. Hope this helps.Best regards,Jim

Hi Jim,Thanks for the reply and the info.Re - vista.....my machine, a high end gaming laptop will not be built for at least another week so I'll try to find more info on the vista situation. The vista version I'm looking at is the 64 bit business version. I know and am comfortable with xp but my knowledge level re vista is limited. I would like dx10 but not sure about potentiaal headaches with vista.Dave

Guest firehawk44

"Hi Jim,Thanks for the reply and the info.Re - vista.....my machine, a high end gaming laptop will not be built for at least another week so I'll try to find more info on the vista situation. The vista version I'm looking at is the 64 bit business version. I know and am comfortable with xp but my knowledge level re vista is limited. I would like dx10 but not sure about potentiaal headaches with vista.Dave"You're making the right decision to install the 64 bit version of Vista as that is the future and they have developed good hardware drivers for it. It appears to be pretty stable. However, I would not get the business version. I strongly recommend either the Vista Premium or Vista Ultimate versions as these versions have the Windows Media Center included and the business edition does not. The WMC is one of the great things about Vista. Just Google Windows Media Center and read up on it and see if it's something you would like. If not, go with the business edition. BTW, you can install both OS's on your computer. I have read about several people on this forum doing this and they are very happy with the results. You might do another Google and find out exactly how this is done. Hope this helps.Best regards,Jim