Sign in to follow this  
Art_P

Parking spots?

Hello:Does anyone know how to find out what the parking spot numbers are in FSX? The other day I flew into an airport and was told to park at A26. When I went to make a flight plan from that airport A26 was not listed as a parking spot in the menu of parking spots. Also when making a flight plan for any airport I don't have the slightest idea where I will end up when I do make a choice. RichardS

Guest fsxmissionguy

When you create your flight plan, you can select which gate you want to depart from. The default departure location is "Active Runway" but you can select a specific gate from those listed for each airport.Most complex airports have a mulititude of gates you can select from.

Guest firehawk44

I don't think they list every gate at every airport for departure. Maybe because they don't want you to select a gate where an AI aircraft may already be sitting based on the built in AI flight schedules? There may be a way you can change this by changing the AFCAD associated with the airport. Fellow flight simmers are constantly making new AFCAD's and publishing them in the AVSIM Library. You might do a search in the Library for an alternative AFCAD. It seems to me it would be a massive task to list every gate at every airport all around the world. These are my assumptions and I'm probably wrong but it provides a logical explanation anyway. Hope it helps!Best regards,Jim

You want a program which edits airport facility data - like AFCAD did for FS2004.There are three choices.All involve some cost is you want to make changes to airports.Airport Design Editor (ADE) and FSXPlanner both require that you have the FSX Deluxe version and have the SDK installed - SP1 or SP2 versions of the SDK with the Microsoft BGLComp.exe to compile scenery files.Airport Facilitator X (AFX) is a payware product from the developer of Instant Scenery published by Flight1. It usea s custom compiler.AFX does have a free demo version which you can use to look at FSX airport layouts - http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=afxv1

Guest fsxmissionguy

I'm pretty sure ADE has a "Home Version" that is free.ScruffyDuck's just that kind of a guy!

Reggie,I certainly don't want to "steal" this thread, but I have a another question about FSX AFX files. I recently purchased AFX and really like the interface, and the fact I don't *have* to use the SDK with it.What my questions concern are "generic" about FSX and AFX files. I know in FS9 you could have a disaster at airports if there were ANY duplicate AFCAD files located anywhere in the FS9 directory structure...even in different folders. But I read somewhere that in FSX duplicate "AFX" type files aren't a problem. FSX will just use the one at the highest priority scenery level.Is this true? So as long as I don't have duplicate AFX files in the same highest priority folder for an airport, there won't be a problem? Or should I actually make sure there are no duplicate AFX type files in the entire FSX directory structure?Or is there also an advantage to not having duplicate AFX style files regardless, due to keeping the loading times and memory usage of FSX at the lowest level possible?Thanks for any info.Rick

Rick Ryan

Depending upon priority levels - FS2004 didn't have a major problem with duplicate AFCAD files either.However most people used Addon SceneryScenery in it's default location in the config - which made any file in that folder active.FSX has the same potential issue with duplicate airport layout files. I've seen files in different folders in different priority layers create duplicate where aircraft parked two to a spot.Personally, I continue the FS2004 practice - all airport files in the Addon SceneryScenery folder and all files named like FS2004 - ICAO_APP_Source_Version.bgli.e.KDCA_AF2_F1AI_v1.bglorNZAA_XML_RS_v3.bglorKCLT_ADE_RJF_v1.bglI don't think we know enough about FSX to say if duplicate active files is not a problem.

Reggie,OK, thanks. I kinda figured it would be better that way. That's what I was doing with the FS9 AFCADs. Think I'll continue doing it that way with FSX also.Rick

Rick Ryan

Hi;Do you know where I might get ADE? Either version. I loved using AFCAD with FS9 and now with FSX I feel lost. I just want to know where on the airport I am choosing when I pick a parking spot. You know, maybe I want to be at one end of the airport at a certain terminal. It would be nice to be able to do that. RichardS

Download the free demo version of AFX from Flight1. It will let you open the "afcads" and see what you want.

Rick Ryan

>>Hi;>>Do you know where I might get ADE? Either version. I loved>using AFCAD with FS9 and now with FSX I feel lost. I just want>to know where on the airport I am choosing when I pick a>parking spot. You know, maybe I want to be at one end of the>airport at a certain terminal. It would be nice to be able to>do that.> >RichardS Go over to fsdeveloper.com/forum/ and check the "Tools Support" forum. You should find a link to the ADE download site. Paul

Wide-5.jpg

Thanks:I decided to purchase AFX as it seems to have other things I can use. Plus I like Flight1 products and trust that it will work well for me.RichardS