Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ben74

Check out my 2D panels on a touchscreen

I am a little curious though, how did you manage the panel selection bar across the bottom? Is this in itself a gauge?

Guest Ben74

the button bar on the bottom is a panel, and each button is a gauge. the button text is specified in xml, so it's easy to customize. here's a screen of one of the general purpose panels i'm working on. i'm thinking i'll do another one with engine controls, and a third one for controlling views.http://benhirashima.com/hostedImages/FSX/panels/general1.gif

>weak. looks like the images were deleted by admins? i wonder>why. here they are, hosted externally.FYI, all images uploaded to AVSIM (as well as most other websites) will "autoexpire" after several days. Were this not so, the server's hard drive(s) would rapidly fill to capacity in very short order! :)OTOH, sometimes however images are deleted 'manually,' but typically not without some accompanying note from the moderator or admin as to why...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Ben74

i see. it seems to me if you can only afford to host a thread's images for three days, you might as well not host them at all. nobody expects unlimited hosting, but three days? oh well.

I figured the row was a seperate window with buttons being individual gagues.Now if you press Panel 1, then press panel 2, does it close panel 1 while opening panel 2? Or are there multiple windows open at the same time?Or, is there a way to call up a gauge or window while opening it in the same window?e.g. I open Window 8, which has my row of buttons along the bottom. Then I press the button I have assigned to APU related stuff, can I set it so that the APU related stuff opens in that same window?

I bet if more availed themselved of this:http://www.avsim.com/pages/helpus.shtmlor contributed in the file downloads section even more free services could be provided. Until then-I would wager the way this site is run is done to keep it on budget.Of course I know my salary here is a big drain... :-lolhttp://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpgMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

Guest Ben74

right. say if you pressed panel 3, it will open the GPS. then if you press panel 4, it will close panel 3 and open panel 4 (what it actually does is close all panels, then opens panel 4). if you want to try it out, here's a zip with everything you need. you don't need a touchscreen to see how it works. see the readme for installation.http://benhirashima.com/hostedFiles/FSX/Bu...WithLearJet.zip

Snazzy!Hopefully some time will open up so I can start to fiddle with this more. I'm on the lowest point of the learning curve for panel editing, so this is going to take a few minutes for me to get myself edjimicated.

Your post got my interest as I bought a lilliput touchscreen a few years ago to try to use in the airplane but had to give up do to Rf problems.I dragged mine out and it is pretty cool-running ezgps on it.I like your button ideas-is there anyway to customize their labels?I used panelstudio but could not find the text on the buttons thru the program.In any case a cool idea!http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpgMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/184310.jpg

Guest Ben74

the button labels are defined in the gauges. each button is a gauge. if you open the xml file for the button, you'll see the label and you can change it. you'll have to extract the files from the cab file in order to do this.

Hi All,I have a 10.4 inch touch screen, but I'm using a freebee SW package called TouchBuddy. I have it working well with Falcon 4.0 and IL-2. Currently, I'm developing a profile for FSX, which I have a few screens developed and tested already. I must say that it is one of the best solutions I've seen to date for solving the User Interface problem encountered with these modern, very complex, simulators.I currently have Level D 767 running on FS9, but will upgrade to the FSX version soon. So my plans are to take the "generic" FSX profile, the one I'm creating now, and later create a custom profile just for the LevelD 767/757 add-on package. For example, you could create a tab (screen page) just to handle VNAV, LNAV, N1, FLCH, CMD, and other buttons on the MCP panel for example. Which means I will have two profiles, one for the default FSX A/C, and another for the LDS 767. You could create a profile for every special A/C you have installed on your system. The benefits, a profile for every special situation and won't have to use the mouse during critical phases of the flight.The TouchBuddy SW is really easy to use, once you create the buttons and other icons. The hard part is creating fancy artwork. So I've elected to keep it simple and reuse or modify buttons already developed by others.I really love this device and the SW as it finally solves the biggest issue of having to memorize 100 plus key presses. The TouchBuddy website can be found here:http://www.touch-buddy.com/Note: The site is in the process of moving to another server - so check it later.Bill

Windows 10 Pro, Ver 21H2

CPU I5-8600K 5.0GHz, GPU Nvidia RTX 3090 VRAM 24GB

Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7, 2TB M2.NVMe, RAM 32GB

Guest Ben74

touchbuddy is great. the only downside is that it can't diplay information from the sim without writing a custom plugin. showing the position of the gear lever, radio frequencies, ATC messages, etc can't be done, or would require a impractical amount of work.my work on my touchscreen panels is stalled at the moment because i just upgraded my system and am busy tuning and overclocking. once i get everything set up again, i'll get back to work! i'm loving this core 2 quad CPU!

Hi All,I'm continuing to work on develping a TouchBuddy profile for FSX, however, I have run in to a snag with LevelD 767. Below is a description of the problem I posted elsewhere in the forum and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions to offer?"Like you I'm using TouchBuddy as an input device on all the sims I'm running, which are, Falcon 4.0 AF, IL-2 1946, FS9 and FSX. I'm also running LevelD under FS9.I love this device and I am in the process of developing a profile for FSX. So I would be more than happy to share it with you once I finish. I find it very easy to setup once you have created all the artwork, or modified the existing artwork others have put together.I'm running in the client-server mode on my setup. However, I'm having an issue with LevelD 767 in FS9 as it will not accept many of the keystrokes via TouchBuddy. What is interesting, these same key-press combinations do work with the default aircraft. So it appears that the LevelD SW is blocking some of these commands, but not all of them.Unfortunately, the TouchBuddy website has been down for several days now, so I hope the are not going off the air. I wanted to post this issue on their website, but will have to wait until they are back up.I believe TouchBuddy is the ideal tool for FS9 and FSX as it greatly simplifies the user interface. It will be especially helpful for the more complex add-on A/C being developed by PMG and LevelD that are becoming more popular these days. I'm surprised more people are not using this device."Bill

Windows 10 Pro, Ver 21H2

CPU I5-8600K 5.0GHz, GPU Nvidia RTX 3090 VRAM 24GB

Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7, 2TB M2.NVMe, RAM 32GB