Sign in to follow this  
=Hollywood=

an VFR offer which is not going to last 1 m phototextures + 5m elevation data for utah

Guest Mike707

Dean,I have been following your project for a very long time and am excited to get the product. Best of luck with everything and I hope your transition to Hawaii goes well. Thanks so much.

Some fast servers you've got there Dean. I just pulled down that file at 10MB/s, which is about 82,000k. I'm sure it would have been faster if I wasn't on 100mb hardware.

Thanks SolarEagle for the info, I was wondering how the bandwidth was, will have to see what happens on 300 users downloading at once lol...Mike thanks for the well wishes, I'm almost ready to book the flight :-) I'm nervous and excited, am flying air china which is a worry but hopefully they've had their incidents for the year :-SOk gotta run and get some more paperwork organized... And hope that Sundays flight doesn't fill up...

Dean Mountford
Ultimate VFR

I have just purchased the pre-order of Oahu and was directed to the download page on FSDreamscape. I am slightly confused ! Are the many hundreds of megabytes in "Pre Release" downloads parts 1-14 of the product to download now and progressively as released thru to completion in early march ? It is just that I dont want to start downloading gigs of files that will require repeat downloads when the product is issued for Formal release.Can I fly in Oahu with pre-release 1-14 or do these files go into storage until all files are ready?Sorry if it appears a dumb question but I dont have great download speeds so want to make sure I am not wasting time until the item is officially released.

I believe that each file will cover a specific area and is usable on its own or in a more total mosaic with all that is available. As other files appear they can be added without a problem. You could put each file in a separate named folder/scenery folder combo or just put all of the BGL files into one folder/scenery combo. Just remember to tell the FSX Scenery Library manager where they are. Thus you grow your coverage, in either case, as files are released.Yes, there may be some files replaced with "better" looking versions. If you believe that the improvement warrants then it is up to you to spend the download time. There is a file size threshold that is being crossed as larger renditions come forth from a variety of sources. Mesh and ground textures will lead the way. This time nest year some people will have terrabyte drives with a wide choice of worldwide scenery, airports, and aircraft. There is an evolution of broadband Internet access sweeping around the world. However, there will be geographic and economic situations that force limited choices. Hawaii is certainly worth making that choice.>I have just purchased the pre-order of Oahu and was directed>to the download page on FSDreamscape. I am slightly confused !>Are the many hundreds of megabytes in "Pre Release" downloads>parts 1-14 of the product to download now and progressively as>released thru to completion in early march ? It is just that I>dont want to start downloading gigs of files that will require>repeat downloads when the product is issued for Formal>release.>Can I fly in Oahu with pre-release 1-14 or do these files go>into storage until all files are ready?>Sorry if it appears a dumb question but I dont have great>download speeds so want to make sure I am not wasting time>until the item is officially released.Regards,Dick BoleyA PC, an LCD, speakers, CH yoke

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

>I have just purchased the pre-order of Oahu and was directed>to the download page on FSDreamscape. I am slightly confused !Hey jjaycee...I sent you an email regarding DVD (I can answer more specific questions at our forum and want to be sensitive to avsim here)... The files are each covering one part of the island, together they cover the whole island... Sorry for not throwing in an installer just I've had to move up the move to Hawaii from Mar 1, to Feb 24, then Feb 12 and now Feb 10 and only have a few days to get a month's worth of preparations done... :-SThe final version will be different though and I'll have an installer and I have a programmer who will be creating an autoinstall routine for us, I just wanted to get something into everyone's hands to play with while we continue work...I'll get more info together and a map showing each island's coverage... In the meantime, if you know how to locate your directory to Flight Simulator X, then the easiest way to install it is to drop it into your "Addon Scenery/Scenery" folder...Most users will have it in "C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesMicrosoft Flight Simulator XAddon Sceneryscenery" or something like that...You can confirm your scenery library has the "Addon Scenery" folder enabled by selecting the 'scenery library' in the main FSX menu screen or in sim by hitting 'ALT' then 'W' then 'S'....Cheers,Dean.

Dean Mountford
Ultimate VFR

Dick thanks for that reply, yeah those are the challenges with scenery design today... And it's only going to be stretched further in future which is why I want to find a way to start streaming data...I know Christian B has done some groundbreaking work with TileProxy but FSX has some limitations as far as I understand to streaming scenery in, also the source data usage under tile proxy could be a violation of the server's TOS and put an end user at risk... I believe Christian gives a heads up about that in documentation...That's why we started down this road and hope to one day provide a way better option than Google Earth data or other imagery locations. Our code is native and designed specifically for FS. As it is GE imagery is based on satellites and images are taken at different times of days, seasons and years and really can look hokey in sim going from 15m imagery to 1m imagery and back etc... Don't get me wrong I am very supportive of Christian's groundbreaking work but the licensing issues need to be resolved...And we really need Fiber based internet connections and hosts to be able to see the whole streaming scenery aspect become a reality... It's probably a few years off infrastructure wise...I have an idea for one solution but would need a lot of programming done...Anyway we also offer extremely high resolution elevation data which beats all the streaming server hands down :-) More news on that very soon. :-)

Dean Mountford
Ultimate VFR

Guest Nils79

Thanks again for your work, Dean!The screen shots and a few more are now in the correct forum:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...id=269225&page=Would be nice if a tool would exist, which is able to add objects, night lighting etc. to every image source data available and which will compile everything with 1-2 mouse clicks (of course not in-flight). So, the user could buy e.g. the high-quality source data of you and then he can add night lighting, water and objects with the tool, which uses global road, water and forest data and perhaps a scanner for roofs to place autogen buildings. Thanks Christian for developing such a great tool^^ ;)

Me too, looking at those screenshots made this an easy purchase, even though I actually get to use FSX very little!With the direction this seems to be going in, I'd have thought anyone even remotely interested in photoreal scenery would be rushing to buy this stuff.Greatest Airliners - DC-8Greatest Airliners - 727 Whisperjethttp://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...BANNER_PAUL.jpg

Cheers

Paul Golding

Guest tmholopa

>Thanks again for your work, Dean!>The screen shots and a few more are now in the correct forum:>http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...id=269225&page=>>Would be nice if a tool would exist, which is able to add>objects, night lighting etc. to every image source data>available and which will compile everything with 1-2 mouse>clicks (of course not in-flight). So, the user could buy e.g.>the high-quality source data of you and then he can add night>lighting, water and objects with the tool, which uses global>road, water and forest data and perhaps a scanner for roofs to>place autogen buildings. >Thanks Christian for developing such a great tool^^ ;)>>>night lighting is allready available over photoscenery, its done by Ultimate Terrain.. just enable UT night lights and fly. the UT scenery should be below any photoscenery you are using in scenery library. here are some screens that i have uploaded last september, night lights over photoscenery:http://www.flightsimworld.com/forums/index...55&hl=finlanderhope this helps a bit,terofsdreamscapes beta team

actually one of our recommendations is to obtain Ultimate Terrain for that very purpose, the only caveat is that the nightlighting for ground textures doesn't happen, but I have ideas on ways to automate that and tero you reminded me of something else that I am aware of but forgot about that could go towards helping with that...My dream is to see dynamic lighting in sim one day... Would save a lot of time rather than pre-rendering...There may be another solution in future as well but that may be 1-2 years away...

Dean Mountford
Ultimate VFR