Sign in to follow this  
Guest abulaafia

Additional RAM query

I currently have 2gig of Corsair memory and having Vista32 bit Home Prem, was considering adding an additional 2 gig. There is no problem in adding the extra memory but i am informed by my PC builder that because I have also got 2 x 7950GTX 2 GPU's with 1 gig memory on each that I already therefore have 4 gig as Vista will recognise this as well.I only know to look in Control Panel/ system to find out the Memory being "seen" and it shows 2046.1. Can anyone clarify this for me?2. If in fact true, then would i be wasting money expanding my Memory to 4gig(I fully understand it wont recognise all 4 gig in vista 32 etc).The reason for expansion was to try and help eliminate micro stutters I get in certain high demand areas although I trim FSX settings for each different type of flight and scenery etc. I assume I am correct in thinking that micro stutter plus odd brief pause, is something to do with Memory?Any help appreciated.jjaycee1

Guest jshyluk

This might be more under the hardware forum's aegis, and this stuff isn't my specialty, but I do have a couple of thoughts:1) High demand areas are just that. No computer system yet created will render them smoothly. You can be more aggressive in "trimming" your sliders.2) I don't believe that FSX deals with SLI all that well, although I could be mistaken. Even so, perhaps the 7950GTX is a little long in the tooth to be forced to deal with New York.3) A good, solid hard drive defrag can help with microstutters. This you can do for free!I don't have any hard evidence to back me up, but I feel that the high-detail areas suffer more under SP2 than SP1. However, cutting back on the sliders helps.Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

Guest abulaafia

I am running Vista-64 and don't have the 3 GB limitations, but I have some interesting information for you. I have run FPS and smoothness test comparing the following three setupsVista-64 with 4GB DDR3-1600Vista-64 with 2GB DDR3-1600Vista-64 with 2GB DDR3-1600 + 4GB Readyboost (ordinary Scandisk 8GB Flashdisk in a USB port)Result, in contradiction to everything I have read about Readyboost on the Internet: FSX runs faster, better and smoother with 2GB RAM + Readyboost. Switching between AI planes, views, loading of textures, everything is 100% smooth when using the Vista Readyboost feature. I also see higher FPS than without it. On the other hand, I saw absolutely NO difference between 2 and 4 GB installed..my 2 cents as above.