Sign in to follow this  
loop_n_roll

Jerky head movement with Track IR

I wonder if any one can help.When using FSX with Track IR 4, cockpit panning in VC is very jerky. This is true of both add-on aircraft (CJ1 and SF260) and default aircraftI have tried many different settings in the Track IR profiles but nothing seems to fix it.When I pan around with the hat switch, it's smooth as silk.I'm happy my track IR is ok, because in FS9 and Lock-On it's very smooth with the same profile.I run the latest driver 4.1.30 final B (excuse me if that's not exact)On to my system:Asus P5N32E SLi Plus latest bios2GB OCZ8500 RAM8800 GTX 768MB Graphics latest drivers 169.256600 C2D O/C'd to 2.9GHzAntec 600W PSUFSX SP2 (not acceleration)Vista Home Premium 32bit fully updatedMyTrafficX 5.1bASX SP2GEXFEXFS Genesis MeshSceneryTech landclass US and EuropeNhancer with recommended settings as read hereI run FSX with frames unlimited. I find if I limit to say 25 I never get 25. It's always 5 to 8 fps lower than the locked limit. It is much smoother with frames unlocked.Any ideas you lovely clever people?Stu

i7 12700K , 32GB RAM @3600MHz, Asus Z690-Plus D4 MB, Gainward 4090 RTX Graphics, 850W Corsair PSU, Kraken AIO watercooler, Nvme 1TB ssd, 1TB ssd, 500GB ssd.

I've had this issue as well. I notised that the Staus was constantly switching between "Tracking" and "No Data" causing the jerky movement.One way to get around it (for me at least) was to click on the profiles tab and doubleclick on the Flight profile.Under the Motion" tab I ticked "Heads" and all was fine after that.I have no idea why that works for me - all i can say is that it helped me.

Guest ziporama

I guess my first question is: can you duplicate with FSX windowed, and with the head tracking window displayed in the TrackIR profile?That will tell you what data is in TrackIR.If that works correctly, you've ruled out interference in the hardware, such as a light or focus outside the capture window. Do you have an camera tracking add-on? Is your FPS high enough to sustain movement? Do you get the same behavior in an external view (spot view) or the 2D view (the panel will not move, the scenery will, a "feature" in FSX).Cheers,Etienne

Guest Lith1um

>I noticed that the Status was>constantly switching between "Tracking" and "No Data" causing>the jerky movement.I had the exact same problem. Tracking was erratic unless I sat straight up in my chair so I was closer to the receiver. As soon as I slouched even a little, TIR would show no data.Then when I was troubleshooting I noticed that "Light Filtering" was set way too high in the "tracking settings" tab. I guess I could have just lowered the setting, but I unchecked it altogether and it works great.It's found in the main TIR window top header, View/Tracking/Settings

This is an important thread. I have the same issues. Possibly some of the good TrackIR support people will stop by and gives us some direction or links to support pages. I have kind of stopped using Track IR for this very reason. Is it simply related to frame rate speeds, or are there other possiblilities.Steve

I'll pipe in here too, having all but given up using TrackIr 4 w/ FSX. It's smooth as silk in FS9 also in the set up menus all works fine with smooth motion. Once FSX starts it's a stutter show. Simconnect? My system ? I dunno.cheersGreghttp://www.fs2crew.com/linepilot.jpg

Thank you all for your suggestions.I've tried the light filtering tip and it improved the situation. It still isn't as smooth as FS9 but it's better.It's nice to know others experience the same prob.Etienne asked about whether my system could maintain fps,generally, my system maintains about 25 to 33 fps on the ground and much higher towards 70 fps when at altitude.These figures are much lower around the major airports but still flyable... just.Maybe someone from Natural Point may have a suggestion.Stu

i7 12700K , 32GB RAM @3600MHz, Asus Z690-Plus D4 MB, Gainward 4090 RTX Graphics, 850W Corsair PSU, Kraken AIO watercooler, Nvme 1TB ssd, 1TB ssd, 500GB ssd.

Guest firehawk44

Yes, I'm with Grahame -- mine works perfectly with FSX. I made NO adjustments to the flight profile. Sorry to hear some of you are having problems. Here's another great link on how to set up your TIR4: http://www.airwarfare.com/guides/tir_setup.htm.Best regards,Jim

Thanks, Grahame.I've sent my original post off to Natural Point via their tech help form.I'll post back their response.Stu

Hi Stu,I had this problem for a time (though for some strange reason, the problem has recently disappeared). At the time, following a suggestion by NaturalPoint's Vincent, I found that the erratic response was corrected when I ran Track IR with priority set to Above Normal. To make things easy, I used to start Track IR from a batch file as follows, which I stored on the desktop:CMD /C START/AboveNormal D:Progra~1Natura~1TrackIR4TrackIR.exe(my Program Files folder is on drive D:).Dugald

Guest NaturalPoint_Vince

All good tips.........Check the tracking screen for stray IR light, you should only see 3 green.Are you running any antivirus/firewall software. These can cause issues withthe communication of SimConnect, within FSX itself.What type of add-on software do you have installed for FSX?Try increasing the priority of the software, within the task manager.If you are running Vista, make sure both FSX, and TrackIR are running as an Admin.

Thanks, Vince.I've responded to your email but I'm happy to communicate here.It may be useful as it seems just a few of us have the same problem.Stu

Guest NaturalPoint_Vince

Any of those add-on applications have a head latency setting?Running any firewall, antivirus software?

Vince,None of those add-on programs have any such adjustments, they're graphical enhancements, in a very broad sense.I run NOD32 version 3.0.551.0. I have disabled this before but saw no benefit.I have Windows firewall on (Vista Home Premium 32bit)I could disable this, as my router includes a firewall but again, I've already tried this with no discernable benefit.Stu